[comp.periphs] NEC LC 860+ laser printer

kelvin@cs.arizona.edu (Kelvin Nilsen) (02/11/90)

I just bought a used NEC LC 860+ printer, and received the printer without
 documentation.  I'm wondering if any of you might be able to document the
 dip switches on the back of the printer for me.

 Also, I'm wondering if there's any way to find out how many pages this
 beast has printed.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Kelvin Nilsen/Dept. of Computer Science/Iowa State University/Ames, IA  50011
 (515) 294-2259   kelvin@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu  uunet!atanasoff!kelvin

steve@pmday_2.Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (02/12/90)

In article <17808@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> kelvin@cs.arizona.edu (Kelvin Nilsen) writes:
>I just bought a used NEC LC 860+ printer, and received the printer without
> documentation.  I'm wondering if any of you might be able to document the
> dip switches on the back of the printer for me.
>
> Also, I'm wondering if there's any way to find out how many pages this
> beast has printed.

I don't know if this appripriate, but we had a LC860 and it was a piece
of junk (at least they were 3 years ago).  After printing around 5000 pages,
the printer started to emit a screeching sound of around 90dBA while printing,
and refused to feed out of the second tray, because the rollers were
worn out.

We called our local NEC office, and they said we had to send the printer
to Dallas for re-work.  Since that was a network printer, we had to
have a replacement.  NEC provided a LC890, but it was dead out of the
box.  We then switched to NCR's Ricoh 4150 based 6436 laser printer, and
they have been great.

If you are running in the HP mode, any book on the laserjet could
give you the necessary escape codes.
--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USDPG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)