[comp.periphs] Atasi 3046 info?

Michael_J_Dedina@cup.portal.com (06/25/88)

Does anyone have any experience with the Atasi 4036 hard drive?  I noticed a
very good price on these drives (used) in Computer Shopper, but I don't know
anything about them.  Anyone had any problems with them?  Please respond to
me personally.  Thanks.
----------------------
Mike Dedina
dedina@gold.bacs.indiana.edu
dedina@iubacs.bitnet
Michael_J_Dedina@cup.portal.com

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (07/07/88)

In article <6857@cup.portal.com> Michael_J_Dedina@cup.portal.com writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with the Atasi 4036 hard drive?  I noticed a
>very good price on these drives (used) in Computer Shopper, but I don't know
>anything about them.  Anyone had any problems with them?  Please respond to
>me personally.  Thanks.

I decided to post this anyway...

I bought one a while back from J&B Technologuies and was blissfully
happy with it until the 92nd day (2 days out of their reworked drive
warranty).. it ate itself to the point where drive repair was out of
the question.. I was out the $425 (then the price) altogether. They
wouldn't even offer me a 'make-it-up-to-you' discount on a replacement
drive.  I had previously bought two other drives there, by the way.

I also had a stream (well, two) of CMI 6426's that they had reworked
that each failed within the week.

I also took a CMI-6640 there for a '5 day repair'... They lost it
four times, and had I not had paper on it, I'm sure I would have
been out that drive as well. Ultimately, it was returned 6 weeks
later. I also bought a Seagate ST-225 (the only NEW (non-refurbished)
drive I bought from them), and it seemed to be okay.

In summary, I strongly advise AGAINST doing business with J&B
Technologies! I'm fortunate to be within driving distance (they're in
Chatsworth, I'm in Westlake [CA]), so I could go down there and scream
to their faces. I pity the poor mail order customers.

The prices may be seductive, but all that fades when the drive dies.

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group VP)|  DELPHI: OS9UGVP  |  Eaton Corp.(818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)

dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) (02/13/90)

I've got an Atasi 3046 hard drive, and I don't know a thing about it.
Can somone give me some info?  I've never heard of this brand of drive
before.
--
Doug.deJ

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (02/14/90)

In article <gZq1l0600VRhI292FF@andrew.cmu.edu> dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) writes:
>I've got an Atasi 3046 hard drive, and I don't know a thing about it.
>Can somone give me some info?  I've never heard of this brand of drive
>before.
>--
>Doug.deJ

ATASI 3046 - Capacity 39M  645Cyl  7Heads  320RWC  320WPC  MFM  17Sec/Trk

Steve
-----
stevem@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400