[comp.periphs] ST506-SCSI Converters

passaret@brahe.crd.ge.com ("Mr. Mike" Passaretti) (02/21/90)

OK, who wants to stick their neck out and give me a vendor
and a contact phone number (if possible) for Adaptek or any
body else who sells an ST-506-SCSI Adapter.  And while
you're at it, how'sabout an idea of how well it works, etc.
if you know.

Much obliged.

                                                        - MM

--
passaretti@crd.ge.com                     {whatever}!crdgw1!brahe!passaret

eaw@Alliant.COM (Eric Woudenberg) (02/23/90)

In article <...> <passaretti@crd.ge.com> writes:

> ... a phone number for Adaptek or any
> body else who sells an ST-506-SCSI Adapter?
> ... and an idea of how well it works, etc.

Company:   Adaptec
Phone:     408 945 8600
Product:   ACB 4000a (SCSI to ST506)
	   ACB 4010  (SCSI to RLL])
Comments:  I use an ACB 4000a with my mac.  I wrote the formatter myself
	   and use a SilverLining Driver.  It seems to work fine.

Company:  Scientific Micro Systems
Phone:	  408 954 1633
Product:  Omti 7200 (SCSI to ST506)
Comments: This company went through chapter 11 and I'm not sure this product is
	  still available.  It's actually a very fully featured little board
	  (it's available with options to run QIC-02 tapes).  It has been used
	  here to run a floppy, and a friend uses it to run an ST506 drive
	  without problems.  I'm pretty sure it will do RLL.

Eric Woudenberg

eaw@Alliant.COM (Eric Woudenberg) (02/23/90)

In article <...> <passaretti@crd.ge.com> writes:

>OK, who wants to stick their neck out and give me a vendor
>and a contact phone number (if possible) for Adaptek ...

In my previous followup I goofed on some facts.  The adaptec
board for doing RLL encoding is the 4070 (as someone else
posted).  Also, the OMTI 7200 does ESDI as well as ST506.  I
don't know if it does RLL.

Eric Woudenberg

cspencer@spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) (02/23/90)

In article <PASSARET.90Feb21093350@brahe.crd.ge.com> <passaretti@crd.ge.com> writes:
>OK, who wants to stick their neck out and give me a vendor
>and a contact phone number (if possible) for Adaptek or any
>body else who sells an ST-506-SCSI Adapter.  And while
Try Computer Surplus Store 408-434-0377. They offer Adaptec cards in the
$100 range. The cards work fine.
						-cliff
--
Cliff Spencer
spdcc!cspencer 			cspencer@spdcc.com

neese@adaptex.UUCP (02/23/90)

>/* ---------- "ST506-SCSI Converters" ---------- */
>

>OK, who wants to stick their neck out and give me a vendor
>and a contact phone number (if possible) for Adaptek or any
>body else who sells an ST-506-SCSI Adapter.  And while
>you're at it, how'sabout an idea of how well it works, etc.
>if you know.

This product was done before I was a blink in Adaptec's eyes.  The part number
of this beast is ACB-5500.  I have no idea how well it performed.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese
				uunet!swbatl!texbell!merch!adaptex!neese

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (02/24/90)

**
*
*In my previous followup I goofed on some facts.  The adaptec
*board for doing RLL encoding is the 4070 (as someone else
*posted).  Also, the OMTI 7200 does ESDI as well as ST506.  I
*don't know if it does RLL.
*
*Eric Woudenberg

I thought the 4070 was for ESDI->SCSI.

Steve
-----
Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400