[comp.periphs] laser printers

derrick@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Derrick Rowlandson) (02/26/90)

I tried posting this to laser-lovers, but my mail bounced, so I am posting
it here instead.

We would like to find a source to purchase fusing rollers for the
Canon engine used in the HP II laser printers. Right now our only
recourse is to replace the entire fusing assembly, because that is all
we can get from HP. This assembly costs us $450. A fusing roller
would likely cost under $50.

Another option may be to contact Canon and see if we can get 'em from
them. Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or commentary.

dr
--

   derrick@cs.AthabascaU.CA

bobh@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Bob Hayes) (02/26/90)

In article <558@auvax.AthabascaU.CA> derrick@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Derrick Rowlandson) writes:

>We would like to find a source to purchase fusing rollers for the
>Canon engine used in the HP II laser printers. Right now our only
>recourse is to replace the entire fusing assembly, because that is all
>we can get from HP. This assembly costs us $450. A fusing roller
>would likely cost under $50.

Yep, somehow you damaged that *FRAGILE* surface, paper or trnsparancy
scratch?? Us too. Seems that the HP cost was only $260 new, 210 rebilt.

>Another option may be to contact Canon and see if we can get 'em from
>them. Has anyone done this?

Nope....Something tells me how they would entertain onesy/ twosy orders,
but my assumptions might be pleasently wrong. If someone does this,
please post the results!!

Well, you can buy the fuser tube (only) for the series I. It is about
3/8" longer, and about .013 smaller in diameter. Also doesn't have
quite a deep enough slot for the drive gear. All those problems didn't
bother our ace machinist, though. Nipped the end off, cut a new retainer
groove, deepened the slot. Cost of the tube was $55 local at the apple
store. It was one of those drive downtown and pick it up affairs.
Machining time maybe 30 min... ( Can you hear the wolves in the back-
ground, howling to use the printer....)
A dab of hi-temp rtv on the ring gear takes out the slop there,
( down boy, gotta let this dry over nite! )
and we deceided to let it orbit in the end bushings, but a shim would
not be too hard there, either. With the pressure of the spring loaded
bottom roller, it stays put and doesn't smudge.

If any of the purists have survived reading this far, I guess I have to
say that so far its working good, and I'm not sorry. I know all you
cheapies are still reading along. :-)

I guess the tube for the series I canon engines is stocked as a seperate
part. The series II tube unavailability is, well, enterprising.

Well, 'spose this otta be posted to alt.HARDWARE.hack, but the printer
IS PRINTING.....Good Luck with yours!
--
Bob Hayes	< bob@arthur.wwu.edu >		USnail follows:
Western Washington University