[comp.periphs] IDE Interface Drives

mike@twiki.UUCP (Mike Heggen) (06/02/90)

clear@bearcave.actrix.co.nz (Charlie Lear) writes:

> What I'd love to know, is what is Integrated Drive Electronics all about,
> can you make them work in different machines other than those normally
> fitted with them at the factory, and can a motherboard IDE interface
> successfully run various makes of IDE drives?  Can you run two different
> IDE drives in the same machine?  Can you run an IDE drive in tandem with
> something else?  What makes them better than anything since sliced bread?
> What makes them suck?

Well, our store will not sell anything less than IDE drives if we can help
it.....they're that good, yes.

Like other people have told you, IDE drives integrate the controller right
onto the drive assembly. This allows the drive manufacturer to customize the
controller to match their drive as best as possible. It also eliminates some
of the problems associated with the older ST-506 RLL interface drives which
had signal degradation problems if the control cable was in the worng place
inside your box. All the drive manufactururer has to do is present the data
to the AT bus, so the IDE interface card is just that: an interface card.
There is minimal circuitry on the card, since it is largely a pass-through
operation plugging directly into the bus.

IDE drives can moved about to different machines without difficulty, as the
interface is the same. IDE intefaces can handle two IDE drives. IDE will
peaceably co-exist with anything other than some SCSI implementations. ESDI
and ST-506 do NOT get along well with IDE.

That's the bad news.

The good news is the performance!!! All data transfers are 16-bit (whch
limits them to AT-class machines - oh darn), which easily doubles your
throughput over an ST-506 drive (which is 8-bit). A number of drive
manufacturer's (Conner and Toshiba, for example) put a little bit o' RAM on
the drive for hardware caching, yielding some VERRRRYYY fast data xfer
rates......we benchmarked a Toshiba 110 Mb 3.5" IDE drive that came in with
an ALR PowerVEISA 386/33 last week. QAplus gave us a data xfer benchmark of
965k/sec, whcih is the fastest non-ESDI drive we have ever seen across our
bench.

Another nice thing is that you don't have to deal with low-level formatting
them, as they come low-levelled from the manufacturer. All ya gotta do is
partition it and do a high-level format, which is cake....

In short, I have nothing but good things to say about IDE drives. We have
found them to be faster and more relaible than ST-506 drives for about the
same cost.

Disclaimer:    I have no direct association with any of the companies
mentioned above. Statements reflect my personal experience and should not,
of course, be read as Gospel Truth. Ad nauseum.....

-Mike
UUCP: mike@twiki.UUCP         GT Power Net: Mike Heggen @ 056/001

Turn this page over for more info....