[comp.periphs] Cheap v. Expensive SCSI host adapter

billbr@xstor.UUCP (Bill Brothers) (06/04/90)

In article <6735@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> roh@handel.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone know what the real differences are between the cheap (<$100) and
>expensive (~$300) SCSI adaptors?

Well, I must generalize here, so bear with me. Expensive controllers
most often have "intelligence". In other words there is an on-board
processor. (That makes the the board considerably more expensive to
design and manufacture.) This processor relieves the CPU (MPU for
technoids :-) from the overhead of watching all the the states and
conditions happening on the SCSI bus. This is most benificial in an
OS that is multi-threaded. Under DOS, there is so much time spent
idle, increased overhead is usually not visible.

Inexpensive boards usually contain "no intelligence". This means that
all state transitions, ack/nack, and other garbage must be done by
the device driver/host cpu.

>Are the expensive ones that much better?

Generally yes.

>If so, in what ways?

The board manufacturer is generally "up to speed" on what is happening
in the SCSI world. Having a "high level" hardware interface helps
to lengthen the life of the device driver in the ever-changing hardware
world.

>Since most scsi drives have 8bit interface, what good
>is it to have a 16bit host adaptor.

Basically, (no flames please for this over-simplification) SCSI can
run faster than the AT ISA bus. When operating SCSI in burst mode,
many AT's just can't handle the tranfer rate without saturating the
bus. This is not true for all ATs but for most. There also comes into
play something called first-party DMA. This means that the host adapter
takes over the bus and shoves data into memory (Usually at a much
higher rate of speed that the motherboard DMA).

>Also does the adaptors have anything to
>do with the interleave (1:1 and 2:1 adaptors exist?).

Generally not. They can under rare conditions, but mostly the controller
on the drive takes care of it. SCSI is a very different beast in this
respect. IF implemented properly, several drives can be operated simul-
taneously under SCSI.

>Yes, these are lots of questions and I would appreciate some response.
>Thanks,
>Lucas

I hope this has been useful. Please feel free to mail me if you have
other questions.

----
Bill Brothers
Product Engineering Mgr.