[comp.periphs] DEC VAX LP-to-Centronics conversion

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (06/27/90)

	The subject line basically states what I'm looking for.  Given a line
printer interface such as the one supplied with, for example, a VAX 8550, is
there a "magic box" that will convert this to a Centronics interface?

							Thanks,
							 Mike

   |   InterNet> davism@{kcgl1.eng|rcgl1.eng|osu-20.ircc}.ohio-state.edu    |
   |                                  -or-                                  |
   |                       davis-m@eng.ohio-state.edu                       |
   |                         CompuServe> 73667,541                          |
   |************************************************************************|
   |                      These thoughts, they be mine                      |

t-nateo@microsoft.UUCP (Nate OSGOOD) (06/29/90)

I'm looking for recommendations on inexpensive (<$400)
Optical Character Recognition (OCR) systems (both framegrabber and
image processing software, if the two aren't bundled together) available
for MS-DOS machines.   I'm seeking the system purely for home use, to
allow for placing passages from books and magazines into electronic format
without the tedium of constant typing.	80%-90% accuracy in recognition
would be acceptable, but I'd prefer not having to train the system on
every new font encountered.   Is such a system available, or must I
wait 5 years before the technology is available?   All comments welcome.

Thanks,
Nate Osgood

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (07/03/90)

In article <5197@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu>, I wrote:

>	The subject line basically states what I'm looking for.  Given a line
>printer interface such as the one supplied with, for example, a VAX 8550, is
>there a "magic box" that will convert this to a Centronics interface?
>
>							Thanks,
>							 Mike

	I should first point out that the words "supplied with" were probably
a poor choice.  Anyway, I am apparently looking for a Dataproducts-to-
Centronics converter.  If anyone knows of such a beastie, please let me know.