[comp.periphs] Input devices

rarchamb@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mad Max) (07/18/90)

Hi, my father is an engineer who has been stricken with ALS (also
known as Lou Gherig's disease...... what Stephen Hawking has) and
is interested in something that would let him control a CAD cursor
with facial muscles or limited finger movement. Something that
would emulate a mouse, basically. We've heard of some things that
allow a person to move the cursor with their eyebrows and
eye-movement. Could you PLEASE e-mail me if you have any info on
what's out there. Thanks

wtm@bunker.UUCP (Bill McGarry) (07/19/90)

In article <26a3a7ff.1865@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> rarchamb@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
(Mad Max) writes:

>Hi, my father is an engineer who has been stricken with ALS (also
>known as Lou Gherig's disease...... what Stephen Hawking has) and
>is interested in something that would let him control a CAD cursor
>with facial muscles or limited finger movement. Something that
>would emulate a mouse, basically. We've heard of some things that
>allow a person to move the cursor with their eyebrows and
>eye-movement. Could you PLEASE e-mail me if you have any info on
>what's out there. Thanks

There are several products that he could use.  As a starting place,
contact the IBM National Support Center for Persons with Disabilities.

   P.O. Box 2150
   Atlanta, GA 30301
   (800) 426-2133 (Voice)
   (800) 284-9482 (TDD)

They distribute several resource guides of which one is for Mobility
Impairments.  I have it on line here but it is nearly 300 K long.  Give
them a call and they will mail it to you in printed form.  They should
also be able to give you some ideas and suggestions.

				Good luck,
[no save]
				Bill McGarry
				(203) 337-1518

UUCP:       {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET:   l-hcap@vm1.nodak.edu
BITNET:     l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
Fidonet:    The Handicap News BBS (141/420)   1-203-337-1607
	    (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064

frazier@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kent Frazier) (07/19/90)

In article <26a3a7ff.1865@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> rarchamb@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mad Max) writes:

>Hi, my father is an engineer who has been stricken with ALS (also
>known as Lou Gherig's disease...... what Stephen Hawking has) and
>is interested in something that would let him control a CAD cursor
>with facial muscles or limited finger movement. Something that
>would emulate a mouse, basically. We've heard of some things that
>allow a person to move the cursor with their eyebrows and
>eye-movement. Could you PLEASE e-mail me if you have any info on
>what's out there. Thanks

There are a couple of devices that might be worth looking into, that
track where the eye is looking.

The Eyegaze System (TM)
 from
   LC Technologies, Inc.
   4415 Glenn Rose Street
   Fairfax, VA 22032
   1-800-733-5284
     703 425 7509
  FAX 703 323 4782

Their literature states "The purpose of the Eyegaze System is to enable
severely disabled people to do many things with their eyes that they would
otherwise do with their hands. Simply by looking at control keys displayed
on a computer monitor screen, the user can perform broad variety of functions
including speech synthesis, environmental control (controlling lights,
appliances, tvs, etc.), playing games,typing, operating a telephone, and
running most DOS-compatible software."

"To use the Eyegaze System ... a person should have good control of at
least one eye. He should be able to move his gaze freely over the full
range of the computer monitor screen. To select and activate the various
keys, he should be able to fix his focus at any desired position on the
screen for about 2/3rds of a second. ... In most cases, eyetracking
works with glasses and contact lenses."

The company is also working on (maybe even released) a head tracking
system, designed to compensate for poor head control or spasticity.

Note: I have not used or seen this system in action, and know about it
only from product literature.

The second product is from

 ISCAN, INC.
 125 Cambridge Drive
 P.O.Box 2076
 Cambridge, MA 02238
 (617) 868-5353

It functions similarly to the above mentioned device, though ISCAN is
apparently targeting a different marketplace (weapons pointing systems,
simulator displays, and human factors assessments). I do have some
experience with this system (though not a lot yet), but my initial
impression is that it performs pretty much as specified. Other than
being a new (and novice) user I have no connection with ISCAN.

Hope this helps.