[comp.periphs] write restore

jxh@attain.Teradyne.com (Jim Hickstein) (07/05/90)

I have these old, rather odd, 5-inch SMD drives that I recently
dusted off.  (Actually, they're brand-new, in the box, albeit circa 1985.)
They're AIM DART-130's.  100MB SMD.  In their day, not bad.
I've got a Xylogics 451 (I think) in my Sun 3/150, and I fabbed up some
A and B cable(s) from twist-n-flat (and just plain flat, but more about
that below).  I'm getting "read restore (drive fault)" and "write restore..."
errors on these drives, as well as an "xy0: error 21 bno 0" when I boot.
Sometimes.

I have reformatted one of the drives since I made proper cables.  It didn't
even format completely with ordinary ribbon cable.  One drive found 22
defects, the other only 3.  These errors are all appearing about two-thirds
of the way across the drive: nothing obvious.  They're spread around.
They seem to be dynamic, i.e. format doesn't find them on a spiral write.
Only accessing files in somewhat random order can elicit the errors.

Can some kind soul at Xylogics (you know who you are: you sent me a FAX about
strapping my 472, for which I thank you; it works very nicely now) or at Sun
tell me what these errors indicate?  Is there something I can change about
the controller strapping or filesystem tuning that will eliminate these
errors?  They don't seem harmful, but one partition (*partition*, mind, not
drive) degenerated into hard ecc errors and crashed the machine, but that was
with the flat A cable.  I think I can live with these messages, but I'd
rather not, if you know what I mean.  Thanks very much.
--
RF engineer: "It's close.  But, I suppose you don't know about 'close'".
Software engineer: "Well... You have 'close'.  We have *sometimes*."

jxh@attain.Teradyne.com (Jim Hickstein) (07/24/90)

jxh@teradyne.com   ...!{amdcad,sun}!teda!attain!jxh

paul@infotel.UUCP (paul) (07/25/90)

In article <748@attain.Teradyne.com>, jxh@attain.Teradyne.com (Jim Hickstein) writes:
> I'm getting "read restore (drive fault)" and "write restore..."
> errors on these drives, as well as an "xy0: error 21 bno 0" when I boot.
> Sometimes.

I had similar problems after adding several eagle (fuji 2351) drives to
my sun 2.  I had to disable overlaped seeks due to some bugs in certain
revisions of the xylogics controller.  You have to set flags 0x1 on all
the drives on the old controller in your configuration file and rebuild
a kernel. For more info look at the XY man page (section 4s).

Paul Bilke
Startel Inc.
(texsun|ut-emx)!infotel!paul