[comp.periphs] 1/4 in Tape Durability

bellotti@cbnewsl.att.com (a.bellotti) (07/28/90)

I perform unattended nightly backups of my files/packages (40 Megs
or so) onto a 1/4 inch tape.  Anyone out there has an idea on how
long should a 1/4 inch tape be used on a daily basis before it
loses its reliability ?

Alberto Bellotti
aab@attunix.att.com

noloc@gli.com (Gil Colon) (08/04/90)

bellotti@cbnewsl.att.com (a.bellotti) writes:

>I perform unattended nightly backups of my files/packages (40 Megs
>or so) onto a 1/4 inch tape.  Anyone out there has an idea on how
>long should a 1/4 inch tape be used on a daily basis before it
>loses its reliability ?
How valuable is the data being backed up?  I'm assuming that it is
somewhat valuable, since you would not have taken the time to back-it-up.
Therefore, in my case, and experience, anything more than 60 writes I have
found to be un-reliable.  Two things generally have happened: 1) The tape,
after awhile, breaks off at one end.  This was generally true of tapes I
purchased from Inamc, using their brand of 1/4" media.  This is generally
caused from the costant tensioning performed by writes and rewinds.
2)  Head alignment on older drives (ie: wangtech 45meg/60meg) would tend to
misalign on the media, causing read problems.

Other than these types of problems, I have not found/experienced any real
problems with the media. So, I again ask you: How valuable is the data being
backed up?  And, protect it as such.....

--
Gilbert Colon			UUCP: rutgers!glinj!noloc
(201) 352-1500 x4302		INTERNET: noloc@gli.com