[comp.periphs] FAX products to be used in a SUN environment

bertv@kompas.prl.philips.nl (Bert de Vries) (09/03/90)

My department is looking for a fax solution in a Sun environment.

Below you'll find the current status of my investigations:

Fax-requirements

The minimum requirements for the Fax(board) to be used in the ECHO-environment are :

1. CCITT Compatibility T.4 (essential) and T.6 (desirable).

2. Auto Dial/Send. The capability of the fax board to dial telephone numbers
in an unattended mode and transmit documents.

3. Auto Answer/Receive. The capability of the fax board to accept transmitted documents in unattended mode and save them to disk.

4. File Format T.4 (essential) and T.6 (desirable). The capability of the facsmimile board to transmit T.4 and T.6 format directly. T.6 format should converted in T.4 first.

5. A command line interface for transmission. A command line interface should be available including the following parameters:

- pathname(s) of documentpage(s)

- telephonenumber of recipient (fax)

- date/time at which the fax should be transmitted

6. The transaction log of both transmission and receiving should have a
known format and accessable by other programs.

7. High reliability, high uptime at least 95%.

Additional features depending on platform

Three possible solutions are mentioned below. The SUN solution has preference
above the others.

PC based

1. Fax(board) in AT bus of PC

2. Driver software runs on MS-DOS

3. Application software runs on MS-DOS

Mixed PC / SUN

1. Fax(board) in AT bus of PC

2. Driver software runs on MS-DOS

3. Application software runs on SUN (Sparc and 386i)

4. SUN - PC connection via Ethernet/TCP-IP.

SUN based

1. Hardware-interface SCSI, S-bus or AT-bus

2. Fax(card)-manufacter must deliver driver-software which runs on SUN-platform
(Sparc or 386i)

3. Application software runs on SUN-platform

Fax-status

The following faxboard are under investigation.

The Complete FAX/9600

A PC board, recommended by Datapro Research (1989 report).
Tested informaly. Looks allright for a PC.

JT Fax 4800

A PC board, recommended by Datapro Research (1989 report).
Tested informaly. Looks allright for a PC.

Gammafax

A PC board, recommended by Datapro Research (1989 report).
Tested informaly. Looks allright for a PC.
Looks promising, due to its programming interface (for OEM only).

JTS products

A product line of JTS Computer Systems U.S.A. Present on the list of
SBus developers.
Promising for full SUN connectivity. More information is
asked for. No reply so far.

NewPort fax products

A product line of Xecom U.S.A. Present on the list of
SBus developers.
Promising for full SUN connectivity. More information is
asked for. No reply so far.

Fax Modem

A product of Antares Microsystems U.S.A. Present on the list of
SBus developers.
Promising for full SUN connectivity. More information is
asked for. No reply so far.

X-tend Netmodem/Fax products

A product line of Helios Systems U.S.A. Present on the list of
SBus developers.
Promising for full SUN connectivity. More information is
asked for. No reply so far.

The Bristol Group

Deutschland Gmbh
Dreeichstasse 10
Moerfelden-Walldorf
Telephone: (0)6105-2945
Telefax: (0)6105-25395
(or)
P.O Box 910
Londonderry New Hampshire
Telefax: 603/437-3220

Fax equipment for SUN environment,
Additional information received. Very promising, complete SUN integration,
Open Windows, NO PC dependencies.

FINAL REMARK:

There are very few products available which give a real SUN based solution.
A lot of offered solutions depend completely or partly on a PC. The only
real SUN solution I have had information on is the Bristol Group.

If you have any comments on my remarks or additional information please
respond to this net or directly to me.

    __  __ __ __ Bert de Vries, ECHO Project
   /_/ /_ /_/ /  Philips Research Labs, Project Centre Geldrop
  /_/ /_ /\  /   Willem Alexanderlaan 7B, 5664 AN  Geldrop
                 Phone: +31 40 892311 Fax: +31 40 892300
                 Domain: bertv@pcg.philips.nl

DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) (09/04/90)

>FINAL REMARK:
>
>There are very few products available which give a real SUN based solution.
>A lot of offered solutions depend completely or partly on a PC. The only
>real SUN solution I have had information on is the Bristol Group.

	I think PerfectByte - which makes sun peripherals - has a fax solution.
Check the latest Sun Observer or Sun Expert for their ads.

	If you do look into PC based solution , you have to check out the
multi-channel cards, otherwise, you'll have to have a pc to host each card.
GammaFax CP cards are multi-channel cards (expensive but programmable). Dont
know much about the comlete pc card - I remember having to deal with these
people because they didnt know how to write their TIFF tags right - hopefuly
they have corrected their tiff file problems. One problem with GammaLink CP
is its real-time requirement: If you put 5 of them in the same chassis, and
you have all 5 of them transmit the same image in a PCNFS network directory,
mounted on a busy sun host, then you have a high probability of  not having
your entire image transmitted through (yes folks, it drops half a page). The
symptom is  reproduceable if the image file is on a floppy disk.  Dont know
if they have fixed that problem.  The JTFAX card is nice in that it is
completely memory-based. No io ports to deal with, no interrupts. You could
put quite few of these boards in chassis. But with MSDOS being single
tasking, you'll have to write some TSR of your own to drive multiple cards, or
use some multi-tasker like DesqView - which will become a nightmare when you
have to network with the sun...

	Too bad nobody has done a real good multi-channel SBUS fax board...
surprising - with SBUS spec being so readily available  and good fax chips
(yamaha) out there... I mean, c'mon - real hardware hackers dont do Intel...
:)

	Oh, - if you do use a partial PC solution, you will have to worry about
bit orders and byte orders. GammaFax software does not read MSBfirst
tiff files, nor does it read msb->lsb bitorder tiff images. It does not
product a TIFF5.0 compliant tiff header (no # of scanlines in image, no
rows per strip), JTfax boards expect lsb->msb data. I suspect that's the case
with most PC fax software.  If I were to make a decision, I would spend the
money to get a real sun solution, and save a million headaches later on.

	Bristol's stuff is quite cool - except their floating license stuff
is a pain (like framemaker's).

>If you have any comments on my remarks or additional information please
>respond to this net or directly to me.
>
>    __  __ __ __ Bert de Vries, ECHO Project
>   /_/ /_ /_/ /  Philips Research Labs, Project Centre Geldrop
>  /_/ /_ /\  /   Willem Alexanderlaan 7B, 5664 AN  Geldrop
>                 Phone: +31 40 892311 Fax: +31 40 892300
>                 Domain: bertv@pcg.philips.nl

bruce
deadhead@cup.portal.com
Robofax: coming to a store near you...

craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) (09/04/90)

In article <33521@cup.portal.com> DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:
>>FINAL REMARK:
>>There are very few products available which give a real SUN based solution.
>>A lot of offered solutions depend completely or partly on a PC. The only
>>real SUN solution I have had information on is the Bristol Group.

But Hey!  If the network IS the computer, then a PC hung off of the
ethernet is just a distributed controller.  An S-Bus card would be nice,
but you can't put too many of them into one Sparc 1/1+/IPC.  That means
that for multiple fax lines you would have to distribute the cards
around to different Sparcs.  That could be a real administration and
maintenance headache.

By packing one PC with, say, four fax cards and an ethernet controller,
you can get a decent fax server going now for not much money.  Do you
think that an S-Bus fax card is going to be cheap?  Maybe, but I won't
hold my breath.

The way we do it, we have the multifax driver on the network drive.  The
PC's boot off of floppy until they get their network drive 'C' mounted.
Then they finish the boot and startup the fax driver.  The driver runs
as a TSR so that DOS command line control is maintained in case you
want to look at logs, etc.

One installation we have running has three PC's with four fax cards
apiece.  This site receives from 1700 to 2000 faxes a day with the
average fax message being about 2.5 pages.  At this point, all of the
fax messages are run through the UNIX server (Not Sun) and are printed
on one of two laser printers that are three floors away from the
incoming fax lines.

The next phase, starting soon, will display the fax messages on a high
resolution monitor in one window while the data entry operator performs
order entry through another window to the backend mainframe computer.
Signature blocks on the faxes will be used for routing standard forms to
one place, nonstandard to another.  This phase will do away with
printing of most of those faxes.

So, it is all in your mind.  Stuff some fax cards into a PC, hang it on
the network, and forget about it.  If the cards are reputable, the
system WILL JUST WORK, after a wee bit of programming.  Okay, maybe a
bit more than a wee bit.  Not a major task, but if you feel
uncomfortable in the PC arena, a systems solution is available from many
places.

>	If you do look into PC based solution , you have to check out the
>multi-channel cards, otherwise, you'll have to have a pc to host each card.
>But with MSDOS being single
>tasking, you'll have to write some TSR of your own to drive multiple cards, or
>use some multi-tasker like DesqView - which will become a nightmare when you
>have to network with the sun...

The cards that we use are XAFAX cards from OAZ out of Sunnyvale, CA.
They are intelligent with their own buffer memory.  You can gadzillions
in one PC, if they will fit.  OAZ sells a multifax board driver with
their boards.  It isn't perfect, but it is pretty good and getting
better.

Tip of the Week:

I personally will not put more than four cards in one PC chassis.
Primarily due to heat and power supply considerations.  I just like
to be conservative when it comes to systems that I have to support from
hundreds of miles away.

>I mean, c'mon - real hardware hackers dont do Intel...

Don't I wish it were true.

>If I were to make a decision, I would spend the
>money to get a real sun solution, and save a million headaches later on.

You would probably spend a lot of money and still end up with headaches.
Given any three products that deal with compressed bit maps, one of them
will need the bits reversed.

BTW, the products can be from the same manufacturer and the above law
still applies.

My only relationship with OAZ is as a satisfied customer.  Drop me an
e-mail message if you can't find their telephone number.

/craig