[comp.periphs] mgse archive server - SCSI BBS files

archived@mgse.UUCP (Archive Request Daemon) (03/01/90)

Last Changed:	Sun Feb 18 14:08:54 CST 1990

This is a periodic posting of information about the mgse archive server
and the available files from the SCSI-bbs, including SCSI, ESDI, IPI,
and Fiber Channel documents from the standards committees.

Thanks to John Lohmeyer of NCR, a majority of the SCSI related files from the
SCSI BBS are now available from the mgse mail archive server. These files were
sent to me by Mr. Lohmeyer at his expense so that more people would have access
to them. The SCSI BBS (316-636-8700) contains a large amount of data relating
to SCSI, and ESDI as well as SCSI-2, IPI, and Fiber Channel, as well as the
last revision of the SCSI-1 standard before it went to publication by ANSI. If
you are interested in finding out what is available from the archive server,
send the message that follows to archive@mgse and you will get back an index
of names and descriptions and a unix style ls -lR listing of filenames and
sizes.

- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------
help
send other/scsi-bbs/list
send other/scsi-bbs/index
- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------

if you are interested in the SCSI Version 1, Revision 17B document, have
the bbs send other/scsi-bbs/area07/17b.zip in addition to the index and list
by including these lines at the end of the above message;

- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------
set uuencode
send other/scsi-bbs/area07/17b.zip
- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------

There files are also available for anonymous uucp at 504-467-1069,
2400 baud, login 'archive' in /archive/other/scsi-bbs. Callers at
300 or 1200 baud will have to send a break.

Thanks John!

Sun Feb 18 13:58:10 CST 1990, The Fiber Channel file area has been updated
with more files from the SCSI BBS.

--
Archive Server Deamon,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex.cs.tulane.edu!mgse!archived or rex!mgse!archived

archived@mgse.UUCP (Archive Request Daemon) (05/01/90)

[...]

the bbs send other/scsi-bbs/area07/17b.arc in addition to the index and list
by including these lines at the end of the above message;

- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------
set uuencode
send other/scsi-bbs/area07/17b.arc
- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------

There files are also available for anonymous uucp at 504-467-1069,
2400 baud, login 'archive' in /archive/other/scsi-bbs. Callers at
300 or 1200 baud will have to send a break.

Thanks John!

Sun Feb 18 13:58:10 CST 1990, The Fiber Channel file area has been updated
with more files from the SCSI BBS.

--
Archive Server Daemon,  Metairie, LA.

archived@mgse.UUCP (Archive Request Daemon) (08/01/90)

archived@mgse.UUCP (Archive Request Daemon) (09/01/90)

[...]

There files are no longer available for anonymous uucp.

Thanks John!

Sun Feb 18 13:58:10 CST 1990, The Fiber Channel file area has been updated
with more files from the SCSI BBS.

Mon Aug 13 15:54:09 CDT 1990 Anonymous uucp is no longer available.

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (09/08/90)

In article <1378@mgse.UUCP>, archived@mgse (Archive Request Daemon) writes:
#.....
#if you are interested in the SCSI Version 1, Revision 17B document, have
#the bbs send other/scsi-bbs/area07/17b.arc in addition to the index and list
#by including these lines at the end of the above message;
#
#- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------
#set uuencode
#send other/scsi-bbs/area07/17b.arc
#- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------
#.....

Can anyone tell me what format this file is in?  I've never come
across anythin with a '.arc' suffix before.  How was it created?  I've
got the file down on my Sun, uudecoded it to get the 17b.arc file
(which appears to be a binary file, Unix says its a data file), but
now can't find a way to convert this to a text file.  What utility will
extract the text files?

Thanks,
Ray

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7340 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

shapiro@athos.rutgers.edu (Joel Shapiro) (09/08/90)

.arc is a standard compression mode used for ms-dos files. A version
of de-arcing is available from simtel20 in the starter package under
msdos.

geoff@hls0.hls.oz (Geoff Bull) (09/11/90)

In article <11706@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) writes:
>#send other/scsi-bbs/area07/17b.arc
>
>Can anyone tell me what format this file is in?  I've never come
>across anythin with a '.arc' suffix before.  How was it created?  I've

I decoded this stuff by uploading it to a PC and running PKXARC on it.
Then you'll find its formatted with Wordstar (yuk!).

A lot of files on the bbs are in ZIP format and you need the PKUNZIP utility
which can be found on the archive (again its a DOS program). I don't
know whether you can use PKUNZIP to extract a '.arc' file.

It would be nice if Unix versions of PKZIP and PKARC were available.

It would be even better if the files were in text format (instead of Wordstar).

--
Geoff Bull (Senior Engineer)	Phone  : (+61 48) 68 3490
Highland Logic Pty. Ltd.	Fax    : (+61 48) 68 3474

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (09/13/90)

In article <930@hls0.hls.oz> geoff@hls0.highland.oz.au (Geoff Bull) writes:
>In article <11706@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) writes:
>>#send other/scsi-bbs/area07/17b.arc
>>
>>Can anyone tell me what format this file is in?  I've never come
>>across anythin with a '.arc' suffix before.  How was it created?  I've

This is a program from the PC-DOS world that will take a number of files
and compress them using a number of differant methods to get the smallest
file, and then stick them all combined into one file with the .arc extension.
Sort of like compressing them and then tar'ing them under Unix. It is available
for PC-DOS, amiga dos, atari tos, Unix, and even a few 8 bit computers.

>I decoded this stuff by uploading it to a PC and running PKXARC on it.
>Then you'll find its formatted with Wordstar (yuk!).

I left the files in the wordstar format to preserve anything extra that
someone with wordstar can use. There are several programs in the archive
to translate Wordstar format to text, including C source for a Unix filter.

To get it the conversion program with C source, send the following two
line message to archive@mgse.UUCP or archive%mgse@rex.cs.tulane.edu

set uuencode
send other/scsi-bbs/area06/wstxt.zip

>A lot of files on the bbs are in ZIP format and you need the PKUNZIP utility
>which can be found on the archive (again its a DOS program). I don't
>know whether you can use PKUNZIP to extract a '.arc' file.
>
>It would be nice if Unix versions of PKZIP and PKARC were available.

No you can not use PKUNZIP to extract a .arc file, but programs to unarc and
unzip for Unix are already out there, check out alt.sources, comp.sources.unix
and comp.sources.misc.

To get it the unzip and arc programs with C source, send the following two
line message to archive@mgse.UUCP or archive%mgse@rex.cs.tulane.edu

set uuencode
send other/unix/arcsv11.sh
send other/unix/unzip30.tar

You may want to type 'arc' and 'unzip' and see if they are already installed.
These programs are available from a number of FTP archives as well as the
mail server at mgse.

>It would be even better if the files were in text format (instead of Wordstar).

For you, or the people with WordStar under PC-DOS, CM/P or Unix?

>--
>Geoff Bull (Senior Engineer)	Phone  : (+61 48) 68 3490
>Highland Logic Pty. Ltd.	Fax    : (+61 48) 68 3474
>348-354 Argyle St		ACSnet : geoff@hls0.hls.oz.au
>Moss Vale, 2577, AUSTRALIA

Message Reply-To: set to archive@mgs.

Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex.cs.tulane.edu!mgse!marks or rex!mgse!marks
bitnet:         marks%mgse@REX.CS.TULANE.EDU
internet:       marks%mgse@rex.cs.tulane.edu