[comp.periphs] Information about "Caller ID"

benny@vlss.amdahl.com (Benny Schnaider) (09/15/90)

Has anybody come across a the "caller ID" protocol ?
Where can I find technical information about it ?

Benny.

Benny Schnaider    benny@vlss.amdahl.com
                   Amdahl Corporation, 1250 EAST Arques Avenue,
                   M/S 246, Sunnyvale CA, 94088-3470
                   (408) 296 - 0596, (408) 737 - 7883

ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) (09/16/90)

I know that there are different protocols agreed upon by different phone
companies. The American network uses a 300 baud data FSK modulated burst
between the first and second ring (or so I am told)

The Dutch system does not have Caller ID but internal phone company docs
are said to say that it will be a DTMF (touch-Tone) string BEFORE the first
ring. I wish I had more specifics......

Rop Gonggrijp (ropg@ooc.uva.nl)

dave@westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) (09/22/90)

In article <13202@slice.ooc.uva.nl>, ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) writes:

> I know that there are different protocols agreed upon by different phone
> companies. The American network uses a 300 baud data FSK modulated burst
> between the first and second ring (or so I am told)

You were told wrong.  It is FSK but it's at 1200 bps.
Order Bellcore Technical References:

 TR-TSY-000030: SPCS Customer Premises Equipment Data Interface

and

 TR-TSY-000031: CLASS(sm) Feature: Calling Number Delivery.

To order these or other Bellcore documents, contact:

 Bellcore Customer Service
 60 New England Avenue, Room 1B252
 Piscataway, NJ  08854-4196
 (908) 699 5800

They'll accept phone orders with credit cards.  Tech refs cost about
$20 each.

--
Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave