[comp.periphs] Digital Optical Tape

jim@tct.uucp (Jim Kunzman) (11/10/90)

>In article <2730420B.34EB@tct.uucp> jim@tct.uucp (Jim Kunzman) writes:
>>On the way to the office today a co-worker and I were discussing mass
>>storage technology.  The thread was prompted by the recent Byte issue
>>dedicated to the same subject.  I recalled the wave of hysteria brought
>>about by the announcement of Digital Paper by Britain's ICL.  At the time
>>several U.S. companies were rumored to be interested in licensing the
>>technology.  I believe IOmega was one such company.  I fully expected to
>>be hearing some product announcements, but I haven't even read any
>>articles about Digital Paper for over a year.
>>
>>Does anyone have any information about what is happening in the digital paper
>>arena?  Is it a dead product?
>>

>Digital paper is alive and well, and living in the development labs.
>Most people are now calling it digital optical tape, since many people
>seem to think that "digital paper" is actually *made* of paper.  In
>reality, it's made using the same base material as conventional
>magnetic tape.  The estimated media life is 20 years.

As I understood it at the time the word "paper" came from the concept that
it could be cut and used on hard drives, tape spools, credit cards, etc.

>You've got the company name almost right -- it's ICI Imagedata, not
>ICL.  ICI stands for Imperial Chmical Industries, a British chemical
>firm.  ICI Imagedata is one of their subsidiaries.  Dow Chemical is
>also making the tape.

Thanks for refreshing my RAM, or I should say "Error Correcting" my RAM.

>Products, on the other hand, are mostly in the "development" stages.
>Here's what I've been able to find out in the last few months of
>hunting around.
>
>- Creo Systems in Burnaby, B.C. introduced the first digital optical
>  tape system a few months ago.  The CREO 1003 stores one terabyte
>  (1,000 gigabytes) on a single 800 meter by 35 mm (12-inch reel)
>  tape.  It runs at 3MB/sec SCSI and has an average access time to any
>  block on the tape of 28 seconds.  The drive is about the size of a
>  refrigerator.  Unfortunately, they want $250,000 (yes, $0.25
>  million) for the drive.... a little steep for most sites.  Creo can
>  be reached at (604) 437-6879; the contact's name is Lou Misshula.
>  When I talked to him a few months ago, they didn't have any plans
>  for making a smaller, more affordable system.

If my calculations are correct, this would imply the capability to
store approximately 220 MB on one surface of a 3 1/2" hard disk, minus
a few for the spindle, formatting, etc.  The figures would be near 450
MB for a 5 1/4" hard disk.  Of course these figures go up for two
sides and multiple platters.  I realize that write times may be much
slower than magnetic technology, but this could be partially offset by
using standard drives or large RAM arrays as buffers.  I would think
read times and access times might approach standard magnetic drives.

>- I talked to the product manager at Bernoulli about a month ago.  They
>  were working on a digital paper version of the "Bernoulli Box".  The
>  prototypes are basically finished, but according to him, IOmega did
>  some market research and discovered there was no interest in the
>  technology, so they have no plans to bring it to market.  I have no
>  idea which idiot marketing research firm they hired -- obviously
>  they only checked the PC market place, instead of the markets where
>  people use disks somewhat larger than 40MB... :-)

Too bad they didn't look to the future.  I can think of many areas crying
out for this technology, CD-ROM mastering, audio mastering, video mastering,
digital mapping, archiving of all sorts of large data bases, etc. to name
only a few.

I just scrapped the idea of buying a Bernoulli Box for archival
storage because of the cost/MB.  Their drives may be expensive, but
their media aren't cheap. :-( List for 3 cartridges ($225) for a 44 MB
unit means $1.75 per meg.  Hard drives are rapidly approaching that
cost.  Given that some are now removable or at least transportable
means increased competition for IOmega. I'd need to buy a lot of 44 MB
cartridges to offset the exhorbitant cost of their drives.  In the end I
decided to go with tape/hard drives for now and wait for mass storage
- the next generation.

>- The most interesting product, in my opinion, is from LaserTape
>  Systems in Campbell, CA.  They take a standard IBM 3480 tape drive
>  (they are using STC's and someone else's [PTSI?  something like that
>  anyway]), rip out the magnetic head, and stick in an optical head,
>  and then drop in their own electronics.  Some of the specs of the
>  system are:
>
>	Speed:		3MB/sec SCSI sustained now
>			6MB/sec SCSI sustained soon
>			12MB/sec SCSI (100 Mbits/sec) sustained by Q4 1993
>

>	Capacity:	50GB/cartridge now
>			100GB/cartridge by Q4 1993, backward compatible
>
>	Size:		8-inch form factor
>			Cartridges are about the size of old 8-track tapes
>
>	Cost:		$20,000 (est.) for the drive
>			$250 for a 50GB tape ($0.05/megabyte)
>
>  LaserTape is not using the same recording mechanism as Creo.  Creo
>  uses 32 beams (laser diodes) to write a 32-track tape.  LaserTape uses
>  a single beam and "scans" it across the tape using an acousto-optical
>  mechanism which changes the "angle" of the laser beam via a ~100 MHz
>  RF signal.  Currently they use 2 lasers to write two lines across the
>  tape; they will increase their speed by simply adding more emitters.
>  It's basically 1.5MB/sec per laser beam.
>
>  The only problem is, the drives won't be available until mid-1992.
>  They're in the prototype stage right now.  But using the 3480 drives
>  and cartridges is clever -- all those stackers, jukeboxes, automated
>  storage systems (5,000-tape changers), storage racks, and so on will
>  all work unmodified with these drives.  So there's no need to wait
>  for someone to invent them.  When I was talking to the company
>  president last week, he was describing some of these automated tape
>  libraries, once they use his 50GB cartridges, in terms of PETABYTES
>  (1,000 Terabytes).  LaserTape Systems can be reached at (408)
>  370-9064; ask for Allan Connover.

Great idea.  The price may still be a little steep, but once they amortize
the engineering costs they could really be competitive.  Eight inch
tapes would fit in nicely into the majority of todays UNIX platforms
too.

>That seems to be it.  I called up ICI Imagedata (can't seem to find
>their number right now, or I'd post it here) and asked them who was
>developing systems based on the media, and the only names I got were
>Creo and LaserTape.  So if there's someone else out there doing it,
>either ICI doesn't know about it, or won't tell.  Supposedly they are
>trying to market the technology in Japan; maybe we'll see something
>from Fujitsu or Hitachi or something soon.
>
>--Dave Curry
>SRI International

Yes, unfortunately it seems that no one in the U.S. is really
interested in developing and marketing new technology today.  I was
disappointed that IOmega dropped the ball on this one.  They were one
of the few companies that have the technical expertise and industry
respect to pull this off.  I used to be very impressed with the
company, but they seem to have stagnated as far as developing new
technologies.  Perhaps though they are on to something better. :-)

Thanks Dave for the info.  I'm posting this reply since this is a rather
low volume news group.  Perhaps your information will spark others to
provide additional comment.

-Jim Kunzman
--
Jim Kunzman at Teltronics/TCT     <jim@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!jim>