[comp.periphs] WANTED: Hardware specs

J.Derrick@newcastle.ac.uk (James Derrick) (10/29/90)

Has any kind soul out there got details/know of a ftp site with hardware
details for any of the following:

           Shugart floppy drive connections  [are datalines TTL? {for muxing}]
           Details of high density drives  [to design a interface for the STe]
           SCSI hard drive connections

           PC keyboard for the ST     [I heard of this ages ago- anyone know?]
           STe alog joysticks/lightpen  [no joy even after tracing the board!]

Also I'm after an inexpensive SCSI harddrive to go with a ICD host adapter
[about 60Mb ->ST177N?] -anyone got a dusty mac they don't want anymore... :-)

I'm currently converting my STe to a Towercase with a harddrive and switches
for booting, extra drives, reset, drive track monitor, coffee machine
controller, etc and would find these details very usefull.

BTW, tower case conversions are quite easy [I'm addicted to the smell of
burning solder flux!]. Get a case and recover half of your desk!

Thanks in advance,
James.

| James Derrick  PtIV  Microelectronics Newcastle Univ.     'Don't Panic:    |
| 'Bringing you the future as soon as we understand today'   computers can   |
| JANET: J.Derrick@uk.ac.newcastle                           smell panic!'   |
| SNAIL: Ethel Williams Hall, Eastfield Road, Benton. NE12 9TY. ENGLAND      |

In article <1990Oct29.120422.21737@newcastle.ac.uk> J.Derrick@newcastle.ac.uk (James Derrick) writes:
>Has any kind soul out there got details/know of a ftp site with hardware
>details for any of the following:

>	Shugart floppy drive connections  [are datalines TTL? {for muxing}]

The spec sheet for the WD1770/1772 floppy controller, which is used in the ST,
says the 8-bit databus is capable of driving 1 standard TTL load or 3 LS loads.

>	Details of high density drives  [to design a interface for the STe]

High density floppy drives can be driven directly, merely by replacing the 8MHz
clock feeding the WD1772 with a 16MHz clock. Note that the WD1772 chips are
only spec'd for up to 10MHz operation, so this isn't a sure-fire solution. I
don't know what kind of replacement controller is supplied with, say, the
PowerDrive kit. Btw, I see in Computer Shopper that 2.88MB floppy drives are
now available for around $150 each. Given the average price of 1.44MB drives
at around $65-90, that's not too bad. If I knew enough about these I'd
consider sticking one of 'em in...

>	SCSI hard drive connections

Read the comp.periphs.scsi newsgroup. They're full of SCSI info, and can also
point you to archives with the full SCSI spec and lots of other stuff.

>	PC keyboard for the ST     [I heard of this ages ago- anyone know?]

Bleah. PC keyboards are disgusting.  (Oh, sorry. "IMHO".  }-)

>	STe alog joysticks/lightpen  [no joy even after tracing the board!]

Dunno, have you tried just plugging in, say, Apple or PC analog sticks?

>Also I'm after an inexpensive SCSI harddrive to go with a ICD host adapter
>[about 60Mb ->ST177N?] -anyone got a dusty mac they don't want anymore... :-)

Lessee... In Computer Shopper I see that a 60MB ST177N, bare, is $349. Not
bad. 20ms access, also not bad. I just ordered a Syquest (44MB cartridge)
drive for $530. Slower, and more expensive to start, but I figure it'll be
a win by the time I buy my second cartridge. (Heck. The atari.archive stuff
won't even fit onto 1 cartridge now. Guess I should've ordered extra carts
at the outset...  }-)

>I'm currently converting my STe to a Towercase with a harddrive and switches
>for booting, extra drives, reset, drive track monitor, coffee machine
>controller, etc and would find these details very usefull.

Coffee machine controller?? Geeze.....   }-)   Can't you get that sort of
functionality using a BSR-X10 Powerhouse controller?

>BTW, tower case conversions are quite easy [I'm addicted to the smell of
>burning solder flux!]. Get a case and recover half of your desk!

Sounds cool. Got any notes you could share?

--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Mac// - adv., q.v. MacToo, e.g.  McHave a McHappy McDay!
		McThanks, McYou MacToo!

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (11/21/90)

<1990Oct29.234258.22858@math.lsa.umich.edu>
Comment-To: hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu

Some notes on using O.E.M disk drives on Ataries
the Driving power of the YM-2149 that is used to
drive the drive select and side select is only
one LS load, this meens that all O.E.M. drive
fall out side the specs, they use 1 K Pull up
resistors, you will find that on Atari Drives
that these are removed or replaced with 2.7 K
resistors, Note: this is only on the Side select
and Drive select lines..
There was some info on this in a Elector Mag. some time back
I still have the Mag: but not handy at the moment, but it
was on about putting a Buffer in those lines 7417 i think
I have never seen any othere mentions of this that the
YM-2149 OPs are only 1 LS load..