[comp.periphs] 720K Floppy Drives

jkaidor@ (Jerome Kaidor) (12/22/90)

    Can anyone help?  I am trying to interface a 720K 3.5" floppy
drive to my PC.  After getting all the wires right, I now find the PC
returning a "drive not ready" indication from this floppy.  It seems
that there is some difference here from the 5.25" floppies, in terms
of the electrical interface signals.  The computer is a "tiger-286 AXT
" card, which is a 286-based XT bus system.  The BIOS looks at one of
the dip switches on the motherboard.  If that dip switch is on, the
BIOS simulates "drive always ready", or something to that effect.
Anyway, with that switch on, the 720K drive works, but my good old
1.2Meg drive turns into a 360K drive!  So my precise question is:
Which shugart-bus wire is the 720K drive leaving "not ready"?  Thanks
in advance...

    - Jerry Kaidor ( jkaidor@synoptics.com )

hollen@megatek (Dion Hollenbeck) (12/28/90)

In article <22134@mvis1.com> jkaidor@ (Jerome Kaidor) writes:

>     Can anyone help?  I am trying to interface a 720K 3.5" floppy
> drive to my PC.  After getting all the wires right, I now find the PC
> returning a "drive not ready" indication from this floppy.  It seems
> that there is some difference here from the 5.25" floppies, in terms
> of the electrical interface signals.  The computer is a "tiger-286 AXT
> " card, which is a 286-based XT bus system.  The BIOS looks at one of
> the dip switches on the motherboard.  If that dip switch is on, the
> BIOS simulates "drive always ready", or something to that effect.
> Anyway, with that switch on, the 720K drive works, but my good old
> 1.2Meg drive turns into a 360K drive!  So my precise question is:
> Which shugart-bus wire is the 720K drive leaving "not ready"?  Thanks
> in advance...

What you need to do is diddle with line 34.  It is the last one on the
(usually) top side of the edge connector on the floppy circuit board.
Hopefully, close to the edge connector is a jumper block (or dip
switch) which is labelled RDY.  If so, just remove this jumper.  It
may also be on the jumper block (or dip) used to select which drive to
use.  If not, maybe you have two points labelled RDY with a wire
soldered between them (trace the trace coming from 34 and see if it
goes through some such place where a stake pin jumper could have been
put, but just a wire was soldered).  This can be cut, but don't do it
yet.  First try a trick to see if it will work.  Get some black
electrical tape and cut a piece about 3/32" long and then cut that so
it is only 3/4 as long as it was.  Carefully place this piece of tape
over trace 34 on the edge connector so 1/4" is hanging out in space
and the rest overlapping the trace so it is completely covered.  Wrap
the overhang onto the back of the connector.  Carefully slip the edge
connector back on and try your drive.  If the problem went away, go
back and cut the trace.  This is permanent, so you will not EVER be
able to use it on an XT which is expecting the opposite of an AT for
the RDY signal.  Make sure you take the tape out of the connector or
it could get over on another signal and make the drive not work at
all.

--
	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121