[comp.periphs] cabling

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (01/25/91)

In article <700@borg.cs.unc.edu>
mueller@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) writes:

> In article <2331.AA2331@caleb> Jim writes:
> >      2.  Buy a Mac SCSI cable and then direct connect it to 50 conductor
> >          ribbon.  (WRONG!)
> >
> >It should be obvious that suggestion 2 won't work since the Mac 50 pin
> >connector is obviously wired differently than the standard SCSI 50 pin
> >connector.  I wonder why Apple decided to make life difficult for
> >themselves and the rest of the world by being different?
> >Thanks to all who tried to help.
> >                                                Jim Pritchett
> >
> >UUCP:  texsun.central.sun.com!letni!rwsys!caleb!jdp
> > or    spudge.lonestar.org!caleb!jdp
> > or    letni.lonestar.org!dms3b1!caleb!jdp
>
> At first I was going to say that I don't believe the cable you
> received is a proper Mac SCSI cable.
>
> However, I looked carefully at your pin-outs again, and realized
> that you may either 1) have the proper cable, but have mis-numbered
> your pins in making your pin-out, or 2) the cable company mis-numbered
> the pins on the pin-out.
>
> Think about it for a bit.  The standard DB-type connector is numbered
> something like this:
>
> 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12 13
>  14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
>
> The standard header connector is numbered like this:
>
> 1  3  5  7  9  11 13 15 17 19 21 23 25 27 29 31 33 35 37 39 41 43 45 47 49
> 2  4  6  8  10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30 32 34 36 38 40 42 44 46 48 50
>
> The question now is, how was the Centronics-type AMP connector numbered in
> your diagram?

It is numbered like this:

  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

> Regardless of the numbering, all that matters is that the right pins
> on the DB-25 go to the right pins on the header (geometrically

Yes.

> speaking).  Check your cable again.  I also predict that pins 10, 12,
> 14, and 15 on the "Mac" end do indeed go to one of the ground pins on
> the "Ext" end.

No, they don't.  I checked this several times.  (Including just now.)

> Something to remember: The only reason Apple started with the
> non-standard DB-25 SCSI was to save connector space on the rear of the
> Mac Plus.  It became a pseudo-standard which Commodore (among others)
> picked up.

Which is why I think that it is very dumb to shuffle the connections like
they did.

--

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (01/27/91)

In article <1991Jan24.175039.3477@agora.rain.com>
billsey@agora.rain.com (Bill Seymour) writes:

> 	I haven't really cross checked your pinouts, but are you sure you're
> not just looking at two different numbering schemes? The standard 50 pin SCSI
> connector is numbered something like this:
>  01 03 05 07 ...
>  02 04 06 08 ...
> and it's very possible the centronics type connector is numbered like this:
>  01 02 03 04 ...
>  26 27 28 29 ...
> This might account for the pin number differences you see. I know that on my
> 3000, I was able to just use a standard Mac cable from the 3000 to the drive
> case, and a ribbon cable with a 50 pin IDC connector and a 50 pin centronics
> connector crimped on. This implies a 1:1 correspondence between the cables.

Boy, do I feel stupid!  You are correct.  The pins correlate when you account
for the different numbering schemes.  I had noticed that they were different,
but it simply did not register that this accounted for the "differences."

Thank you for pointing out what should have been obvious, but wasn't.