[comp.periphs] Scanner & OCR info wanted

jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) (01/19/91)

I'd like to get a scanner that is good at doing OCR.  A typical application
would be scanning in a magazine article.  The text would normally not be
full-page, so a hand-scanner would work fine --- assuming that it could do
the OCR.  Error rate should be low and so should the cost if possible.
Ability to do graphics would be a neat bonus, but not really necessary.

Does anyone have suggestions on what scanners would be best for this type of
application?

angelini@apollo.HP.COM (Bob Angelini) (01/24/91)

Logitek has their Hand Scanner Plus. It does 100, 200 and 400 DPI.
When used with there Catchword OCR software,
it makes an affordable OCR system. You can buy the scanner bundled with the
OCR software for right around $200 (I paid $199.99 at Electronic Boutique).

Logitek is rumered to be ready to release a 600 DPI hand scanner. It will
cost more but, it should also drive down the price of the 400 DPI Plus.

Bob Angelini

jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) (01/26/91)

In article <4f660f8c.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> angelini@apollo.HP.COM (Bob Angelini) writes:
>Logitek has their Hand Scanner Plus. It does 100, 200 and 400 DPI.
>When used with there Catchword OCR software,
>it makes an affordable OCR system. You can buy the scanner bundled with the
>OCR software for right around $200 (I paid $199.99 at Electronic Boutique).

I'm definitely interested in affordable, but I'm also interested in reliable.
What I've heard of the Catchword software doesn't lead me to think of it as
reliable.

I've got "The Typist" from Caere, a scanner/software combination, on backorder.
The software from Caere is supposed to be extremely good at OCR (Omnipage)
with the only competition coming from WordScan.  Both of those software
programs cost ~ $1000.  The Typist is $600 list.  I've seen reviews of the
Omnipage software in PC Week, InfoWorld, and PC Magazine that lead me to
believe the accuracy is as close to 100% as you're likely to find (in the
high 99.XX range).  The software is (I think, I've only seen very untechnical
references to what "The Typist" actually is) partially built into the scanner
(the 286 version of Omnipage requires a co-processor board from Caere, so this
makes some sense).

I see the Scanman Plus going for ~ $150.  But the question is: is there a
software package that can combine with the Scanman Plus (or the new Scanman
256) and do effective OCR at a price anywhere near $500?

felton@eng3.UUCP (Ed Felton) (02/08/91)

    HELP!

Our department has inherited a RICOH IS-11 full page sized scanner.

But... No docs, No software!

It has a SCSI interface, and a parallel interface.

Any information / docs / software would be useful.
Does anyone else out there in net land have one of these????

Help me usenet.periph.gurus, your my only hope!
(apologies to G.Lucas)

Thanks for your time and consideration
Ed Felton
--