[comp.periphs] info on Ampex SMD drive wanted

wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) (02/07/91)

I am looking for information on an Ampex SMD diskdrive type# DFR-996,
model# MKM0800C006. This is an SMD drive, with (it seems) 80Mbyte fixed and
16Mbyte removable 14" platters. All info on this drivetype is welcome, and
specifically on the driveselect plug. This drive select plug is also the
drive number indicator on the frontpanel (for those familiar with DEC drives
well known). Of course, this plug is missing... :-( The frontpanel sports
a horizontal rectangular slit, with a row of contacts on the upper and lower
edge, in which the drive sel plug is placed. We would like to know how
to hot-wire these contacts to get this going.

(No flames please on obsolete disks, this is used for a no-budget, eh low-
budget non-profit organisation. We hope to connect it to our Sun-2
workstations (which we got for free, but without disks))

Help appreciated
 |   / o / /  _   Wilko Bulte   Domain: wilko@idca.tds.philips.nl
 |/|/ / / /( (_)                uucp  : [mcsun,hp4nl]!philapd!wilko
* Philips Information Systems Nederland   phone:  055-432372 fax: 055-432103

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (02/08/91)

In article <1117@idcapd.idca.tds.philips.nl>, wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) writes:
> I am looking for information on an Ampex SMD diskdrive type# DFR-996,
> model# MKM0800C006. This is an SMD drive, with (it seems) 80Mbyte fixed and
> 16Mbyte removable 14" platters. All info on this drivetype is welcome, and
> specifically on the driveselect plug. This drive select plug is also the
> drive number indicator on the frontpanel (for those familiar with DEC drives
> well known). Of course, this plug is missing... :-( The frontpanel sports
> a horizontal rectangular slit, with a row of contacts on the upper and lower
> edge, in which the drive sel plug is placed. We would like to know how
> to hot-wire these contacts to get this going.

  I don't know if this helps you, but it sounds like a clone of the CDC
Phoenix disk drive. The cartridge looks sort of like a 2315 cartridge
(which sort of looks like the hull of the old Starship Enterprise 8-) and
is usually a deep blue color. Does this sound correct?

  I have CDC and DEC unit select plugs, so if you tell me which number you
need and whether you want CDC sequence or DEC sequence, I'll send you one.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

jje@virtech.uucp (Jeremy J. Epstein) (02/09/91)

In article <1117@idcapd.idca.tds.philips.nl>, wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) writes:
> I am looking for information on an Ampex SMD diskdrive type# DFR-996,
> model# MKM0800C006. This is an SMD drive, with (it seems) 80Mbyte fixed and
> 16Mbyte removable 14" platters.

This sounds like a unit we used at Perkin-Elmer.  It was sold in three
configurations: 13/13, 13/39, and 13/67 MB (removable/fixed).  [13MB
is the formatted capacity; 16MB unformatted.]  As is so
often the case, they were almost identical inside.  There were always
three platters in the fixed portion, but with 1, 3, or 5 read/write heads
(the sixth side was for timing).  Upgrading consisted of getting additional
heads installed.

And now for a bit of folklore.  The fixed heads were addressed as 0, 1,
2, 3, and 4.  From the SMD standpoint, it was one drive (not two), and
the removable unit used head 16 (0x10).  If you screwed it up (as many
disk drivers did) and tried to treat the removable drive separately
from the fixed drive, you ended up scribbling on the hard drive.  This
made for a very hard problem to fix...everything would be normal, and
then suddenly your file systems were horribly corrupted.  I fixed this
bug in the disk driver once, only to have someone break it again in
the next release...

These drives are also about the slowest I've ever seen to spin up...
it seemed to take minutes!
--
Jeremy Epstein
TRW Systems Division