[comp.periphs] TrippLite Line Conditioners

andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (03/12/91)

Hello All!

I am considering purchasing a TrippLite Line conditioner stabilizer
and brown out protector (whew, now there's a mouthfull).

Q: Do these things work?

Q: What is a reasonable wattage to assume?
   (NOTE: I will be hooking up a PC (Amiga 3000), monitor, scanner,
printer, modem, and external disk drive(s)).

Q: If my power line actually delivers less watts than the conditioner
is set for, what happens?

Q: Are UPS a better deal than LineConditioners?

Much thanks in advance,
-Rich

--
  // Rich    | "If there is nothing wrong with me, then maybe there is
\X/  Andrews |  something wrong with the universe."  - Beverly

jwi@cbnewsj.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (03/14/91)

In article <Mar.11.21.24.06.1991.3978@u2.rutgers.edu> andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) writes:

> I am considering purchasing a TrippLite Line conditioner stabilizer
> and brown out protector (whew, now there's a mouthfull).
>
> Q: Do these things work?
A: Yes.

> Q: What is a reasonable wattage to assume?
>    (NOTE: I will be hooking up a PC (Amiga 3000), monitor, scanner,
> printer, modem, and external disk drive(s)).
A: I have a lser printer and a computer. I use an 1800.

> Q: If my power line actually delivers less watts than the conditioner
> is set for, what happens?
A: either it is enough to power your equipment, or it isn't.  If it isn't,
you blow a fuse or drop the line voltage below what the conditioner can
compensate for.  The conditioner has nothing to do with power (watts)
delivered, only volts-- its job is to hold the votage steady.

> Q: Are UPS a better deal than LineConditioners?
A: We have two power outages a year, always during thundrstorms.  We have
almost constant brownouts.  The line conditioner solves the brownout
problem but not the blackout problem.  *Some* UPS solve the brownout
problem, most *don't.*  UPS *do* solve the blackout problem.  Which
problem (or both) do you have?

Jim Winer -- jwi@mtfme.att.com -- Opinions not represent employer.
"No, no: the purpose of language
	is to cast spells on other people ..."