[comp.periphs] Call for Information!

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (04/13/91)

Once again I turn to the net for information on an odd peripheral I'm
trying to use.... Does anyone have any documentation for a Cipher model
540 1/4" tape driue?  It appears to include an Emulex SCSI==>QIC adapter
of some sort as an upper deck (PN = 0110401 00 Rev D).  Some things I'd
like to know include:
  SCSI command set honored.
  Dip switch (SW 1) settings. I know 0-2 are the SCSI address.
  SCSI Termination resistor arrangement. Could be at U27 & U41, what
   value/configuration??
  any other useful tidbits, like a service manual, etc...

 As always, thanks in advance for any light that can be shed on this
 device.  For reference, the drive lives in a Nat Semi ICM-3216 tower
 system, but I'm trying to get my Amiga 2000/2090A to talk to it, with
 limited success....
   Scott Denham
   ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com

keithl@loop.uucp (Keith Lofstrom;;;628-3645) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr13.013900.13339@sugar.hackercorp.com> ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) writes:
>Once again I turn to the net for information on an odd peripheral I'm
>trying to use.... Does anyone have any documentation for a Cipher model
>540 1/4" tape driue?  It appears to include an Emulex SCSI==>QIC adapter
>of some sort as an upper deck (PN = 0110401 00 Rev D).  Some things I'd
>like to know include:
>  SCSI command set honored.
>  Dip switch (SW 1) settings. I know 0-2 are the SCSI address.
>  SCSI Termination resistor arrangement. Could be at U27 & U41, what
>   value/configuration??
>  any other useful tidbits, like a service manual, etc...

First:
Emulex is in Costa Mesa, (714)662-5600

I have MT02 QIC-36 controllers.   From the August 1987 manual:

1)	SCSI address bit 0
2)	SCSI address bit 1
3)	SCSI address bit 2
4)	not used
5)	Drive type
6)	Drive type
7)	Drive type
8)	Parity check (on is parity check, off is no check)

Drive types:

7 6 5   ( 0 == off )
0 0 0	Cipher
0 0 1	Archive Scorpion
0 1 0	Wangtek series 5000 basic
0 1 1	Wangtek series 5000E
1 0 0	Kennedy 6500
1 0 1	Not used
1 1 0	Not used
1 1 1	Not used

Also, pin C-D should be jumpered together to put +5V on pin 26 for
an external terminator, and otherwise disconnected.

The MT02 conforms to Rev 14B of the SCSI spec with about a page of
exceptions.  I've used the drives on Tektronix workstations, a Mac,
and a Future Domain PC controller with only address changes.

Happy taping,
Keith
--
Keith Lofstrom  keithl@loop.uucp ...!sun!nosun!loop!keithl (503)628-3645
Design Contracting in Bipolar and CMOS - Analog, Digital, and Power ICs