[comp.periphs] Can't detect Disk Change. HELP!

khan@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) (05/26/91)

ychu@hawk.ulowell.edu (Scott Y. Chu) writes:

>I got a problem that occurred to floppy disk driver. When disk changed, the
>driver can't detect that. I refer to a troubleshooting book. It said that
>the DISK CHANGE LINE FUNCTION is defective. It also talked about the PIN 34.
>Does any one who experienced this problem know how to solve this problem?

>P.S. If you can tell me how to adjust PIN 34 on AT, I'll appreciate.

It just so happens that I just went through this exact problem. Here's a
brief recap, and how I solved it:

I bought a 3.5" floppy drive for my '386 AT clone. DOS was having trouble
detecting disk changes. The problem was that the disk change line, which is
normally routed through pin 34 on the floppy controller, was not connected
on my drive as-shipped. The solution is to re-enable the disk change line on
pin 34 of the connector.

How this is done varies from floppy drive to floppy drive. In the case of
my Sony, I simply soldered a small jumper wire onto the floppy drive's PC
board. Other drives may have jumper blocks, DIP switches, etc. If you
want to attempt this yourself, your best bet is to obtain the documentation
booklet for your particular make/model of floppy drive, find out which switch
or jumper position corresponds to the disk change line, and enable it. In
my case, I had no such book handy, so I had to trace down the PCB with a
multimeter to find out which jumper position was connected to pin 34.
I recommend the former option - a lot less chance of screwing up your drive
if you have the correct documentation.

Hope this was helpful, and good luck!

--
Scott Coleman                                                    tmkk@uiuc.edu

"The military particularly liked Prodigy because the censorship came for free."
- Andrew Grove on the use of email services to send mail to troops in the gulf