[comp.periphs] Is the Archive 5945C a SCSI tape drive???

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (06/10/91)

    That about sums it up.  I got a Core tape drive at a Ham fest.  The unit
came in an external box, with the above tape drive, and an Everex Board
(full size of the tape drive) that sits between the tape drive and the rear
connector on the box.  Any ideas what I have?????

                                           Thanks, Mike...
      Mike Kraml - Manager-Finance MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (the HARD Hack)
          UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl.sbc.com!ammrk

berger@clio.sts.uiuc.edu (Mike Berger) (06/13/91)

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
>    That about sums it up.  I got a Core tape drive at a Ham fest.  The unit
>came in an external box, with the above tape drive, and an Everex Board
>(full size of the tape drive) that sits between the tape drive and the rear
>connector on the box.  Any ideas what I have?????
*----
I'm a little confused about this too.  Our Sun 3's have Archive 5945C's
in them.  When I shopped around for a replacement, I was told by one of
the distributors that it is an ESDI drive.  I found one from a surplus
source, listed as a SCSI product... but it comes with a separate
"formatter" board, which may be a ESDI-to-SCSI converter.  I could use
a definitive answer too!
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.164919.26557@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> berger@clio.sts.uiuc.edu (Mike Berger) writes:
>ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
>I'm a little confused about this too.  Our Sun 3's have Archive 5945C's
>in them.  When I shopped around for a replacement, I was told by one of
>the distributors that it is an ESDI drive.  I found one from a surplus
>source, listed as a SCSI product... but it comes with a separate
>"formatter" board, which may be a ESDI-to-SCSI converter.  I could use
>a definitive answer too!

    ESDI is definitely a disk interface standard (get on the lookout for
    another distributor). The 5945C is equipped with a QIC interface, so
    probably the board you mention is a QIC to SCSI controller.
_     __________________________________________________________________________
 |   / o / /  _     Wilko Bulte              Domain: wilko@idca.tds.philips.nl
 |/|/ / / /( (_)    System Engineering       uucp  : [mcsun,hp4nl]!philapd!wilko
* Philips Information Systems Nederland  phone: +31 55-432372 fax: +31 55-432103
      "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'" Yoda - The Empire Strikes Back

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (06/16/91)

I believe the 5945c is just the "raw" drive, which is QIC02/36 ???
interface. The sun 3/50 shoe boxes had a SCSI--> QIC board, probably
a emulex mt02. I have used the 5845c on an AT with an ARhive adapter,
SC499R. All numbers here are subject to question since I'm reading
them out my personal RAM, which has not been refreshed for several
months on this subject!

Clarence Wilkerson