[comp.periphs] Need power interrupt detection device.

jgm@fjc.GOV (jgm) (06/28/91)

Posted for a co-worker:

     I  presently  have  several   386   machines   running   the
Interactive  unix  operationg system.  The machines are connected
to uninterruptable power supplies which do not have  the  ability
to  inform  the  machines  when  battery power has been depleted.
Consequently, on weekends during a  power  failure  the  machines
crash twenty minutes after utility power has been lost.

     I have heard of a device which plugs into the utility  power
outlet  and  a  serial port on the 386.  The device in conjuction
with sone software aletts the 386 when  utility  power  has  been
interrupted   and  allows  the  machine  to  perform  an  orderly
shutdown.  If anyone knows the  manufactruer  of  such  a  device
could you please let me know.
		Please respond to:  gpl@ao.gov
			Thank you,
                        Glen P. Lichtenwalter

rsj@wa4mei.uucp (Randy Jarrett) (06/29/91)

In <446@fjcp60.GOV> jgm@fjc.GOV (jgm) writes:

>Posted for a co-worker:

>     I  presently  have  several   386   machines   running   the
>Interactive  unix  operationg system.  The machines are connected
>to uninterruptable power supplies which do not have  the  ability
>to  inform  the  machines  when  battery power has been depleted.
>Consequently, on weekends during a  power  failure  the  machines
>crash twenty minutes after utility power has been lost.

>     I have heard of a device which plugs into the utility  power
>outlet  and  a  serial port on the 386.  The device in conjuction
>with sone software aletts the 386 when  utility  power  has  been
>interrupted   and  allows  the  machine  to  perform  an  orderly
>shutdown.  If anyone knows the  manufactruer  of  such  a  device
>could you please let me know.
>		Please respond to:  gpl@ao.gov
>			Thank you,
>                        Glen P. Lichtenwalter

There has been a lot of discussion over the net in several of the
groups and also some software posted in alt.sources.  The easiest
way to detect power failure is to get one of the small dc power
supplies (must be dc) from Radio Shack.  A good voltage to use would
be 9vDC.  You can then connect this to one of the control lines on
an unused serial port (DCD or DSR) whichever is supported by the
monitoring program.  When the AC mains drop you will loose this
signal and then the monitoring program such as UPS-mon will take
whatever action you have setup which can include waiting for a pre-
set amount of time and then doing a shutdown.  If you don't have
access to one of the archive sites let me know and I will mail you
the program (its not very big).  There is also a version that will
use a game port.,

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!{emory,gatech}!wa4mei!rsj   | MAIL: P.O. Box 941217