[comp.cog-eng] free speech ?

andrew@trlamct.UUCP (07/08/87)

As a new reader of this news group (over here we have to pay money to import
the news) I hope that the Harnad thrashing will not deter others from
contributing to the discussion.

There is nothing more boring than a news group that consists only of
conference announcements and seminar abstracts. The effort required to skip
over irrelevant articles is worth it if the alternative is a barren news
group.

--
UUCP: ...!{seismo, mcvax, ucb-vision, ukc}!munnari!trlamct.trl!andrew
ARPA: andrew%trlamct.trl.oz@seismo.css.gov

lindsay@vuwcomp.UUCP (Lindsay Groves) (07/13/87)

In article <355@trlamct.oz> andrew@trlamct.oz (Andrew Jennings) writes:

>There is nothing more boring than a news group that consists only of
>conference announcements and seminar abstracts.

I disagree. The MOST boring news groups are ones that consists mainly of
discussions about what topics should be allowed in the news group!
THis has happened recently in the recipes group (should beer be discussed?)
and in the women's group (should men's views be allowed?).
I hope the ai and cog-eng groups are not about to do the same!!!

Lindsay Groves

Computer Science Dept.,     ACSnet:  lindsay@vuwcomp.nz
Victoria University, 	    UUCP:.!{alberta,ubc-vision}!calgary!vuwcomp!lindsay
Wellington, N.Z.	    Phone: 721-000, ext 8070

Logic programmers' theme song: "The first cut is the deepest"