[comp.cog-eng] Issues of comp.cog-eng

rolandi@gollum.Columbia.NCR.COM (rolandi) (11/23/87)

Do folks in this newsgroup share anything more substantive than user
interface war stories?  This all started WEEKS ago when somebody re-
quested a few human interface anecdotes to be used in an opening for
a speech or something.  This guy must now have enough to write a book!

Come on, let's give it a rest!

Meanwhile, can anyone give me some pointers to research that examines
the relative merits of touchscreens versus "mice".

-w.rolandi
safe :- disclaim(rolandi,everything).

klee@klee.ads.com (Ken Lee) (11/24/87)

In article <19@gollum.Columbia.NCR.COM> rolandi@gollum.UUCP () writes:
>Meanwhile, can anyone give me some pointers to research that examines
>the relative merits of touchscreens versus "mice".

I agree that this "rm *" nonsense is wearing out my "n" key.

As for your question, I think the consensus is that "it depends" on the
application.  Touchscreens are generally unsuitable for intensive applications
because:
1.  excessive fatigue (holding your arm up all day)
2.  your finger hides the thing you're pointing at
3.  fat fingers have low resolution
4.  fingerprints
5.  touch screens cause glare, distortion, and reduce display brightness
6.  a mouse has more degrees of freedom (especially a multi-button mouse)
There are a few other reasons I can't remember right now.  Of course, for
non-intensive, low-resolution applications, like push-button oriented bank
ATM's, touch screens are great.

Ken Lee
klee@ads.arpa

jeffries@hplabsb.UUCP (11/24/87)

> Meanwhile, can anyone give me some pointers to research that examines
> the relative merits of touchscreens versus "mice".

> -w.rolandi

A good starting point is "A comparison of selection techniques: touch panel,
mouse, and keyboard", J. Karat, J.E. McDonald, and M. Anderson, Proceedigns
of Interact'84, vol 2, p. 149.

I think this work has since been published in Int. Journal of Man-Machine
Studies, but I can't put my fingers on a reference off-hand.

Robin Jeffries

king@rd1632.Dayton.NCR.COM (James King) (11/24/87)

To: ncrlnk!ncrcae!gollum!rolandi
Subject: Re: Issues of comp.cog-eng
Newsgroups: comp.cog-eng
Bcc:

I have a few:

Potter, Richard, Weldon, Linda, and Shneiderman, Ben  "Making Touch
   Screens Effective:  An Experimental Evaluation of Three
   Strategies".  University of MAryland Tech. Report.

Pickering, J. A. "Touch Sensitive Screens: The Technologies and
   their Application" in the journal: International Journal Man-
   Machine Studies #25, 1986.

Ostroff, D. and Shneiderman, B. "Selection Devices for Users of an
   Electronic Encyclopedia: An Empirical Comparison of Four
   Possibilities" Univ of Maryland Computer Science Tech Report
   1910.

Stone, M. D. "Touch Screens for Intuitive Input" in PC Magazine
   August 1987.

Hope this helps.  To get the Shneiderman reports contact him at:
  Department of Computer Science
  University of Maryland
  College Park, MD 20742

Jim King   at NCR Corporate R&D

j.a.king@dayton.ncr.com

klee@klee.ads.com (Ken Lee) (11/26/87)

In article <52000002@hplabsb.UUCP> jeffries@hplabsb.UUCP (Robin Jeffries) writes:
>A good starting point is "A comparison of selection techniques: touch panel,
>mouse, and keyboard", J. Karat, J.E. McDonald, and M. Anderson, Proceedigns
>of Interact'84, vol 2, p. 149.
>
>I think this work has since been published in Int. Journal of Man-Machine
>Studies, but I can't put my fingers on a reference off-hand.

It's in IJMMS (1986) Vol 25, p. 73-88.  Note that these results are based on
experimenting with a relatively crude application, using the input devices only
for menu selection.  As would be expected, the cognitively simple touch screen
wins since its limitations don't appear in this application.  Contrast these
results to what you would expect with a 3D CAD or medical imaging application.

Ken Lee
klee@ads.arpa