[comp.cog-eng] Interface Tools

gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (05/02/88)

In article <188woodl@byuvax.bitnet> woodl@byuvax.bitnet writes:
>It worked out quote well.  Has anyone else had experience or know about
>other interface tools, especially ones that run on IBMs/Compatibles

On PCs, storyboard systems and outliners with graphics capabilities
can be used for prototyping.

Trillium is available on Xerox Workstations from AI Ltd in the UK.

There are a few network-based alphanumeric and some graphics systems
for the CAD-CAM market - vendors of graphics packages often
sell User Interface Management Systems as well.  These tools are
generally less programmer-friendly than the PC storyboarding systems.

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (05/03/88)

In:comp.cog-eng / woodl@byuvax.bitnet writes:

>     I have just finished teaching a course on Human-Computer Interaction
>using HyperCard on the Macintosh as a design tool for a prototyping user
>interfaces. It worked out quote well.  Has anyone else had experience or know
>about other interface tools, especially ones that run on IBMs/Compatibles
>
>Larry Wood, Brigham Young University, WoodL@BYUVAX.bitnet
>----------

Any chance of posting your Hypercard examples to the appropriate Mac group,
ie comp.binaries.mac or whatever?

David Williams

farris@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Russell H. Farris) (05/04/88)

In article <1070@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk
(Gilbert Cockton) writes:

>On PCs, storyboard systems and outliners with graphics capabilities
>can be used for prototyping.

Sir,
        I haven't heard the expression "storyboard" system
before, and the only outliner I have found with graphics is
Houdini.  I would like very much to have the names of some PC
programs that would facilitate Mac-like storyboarding/system
design/brainstorming.  Thanks,

Russ Farris (farris@marlin.nosc.mil)

ria@pbhyc.PacBell.COM (Rich Anderson) (05/06/88)

In article <1039@marlin.NOSC.MIL> farris@marlin.nosc.mil.UUCP (Russell H. Farris) writes:
>        I haven't heard the expression "storyboard" system
>before, and the only outliner I have found with graphics is
>Houdini.  I would like very much to have the names of some PC
>programs that would facilitate Mac-like storyboarding/system
>design/brainstorming.  Thanks,
>
>Russ Farris (farris@marlin.nosc.mil)

Why must it be Mac-like?  Take a look at Skylights, which is Mac-like (I
guess), currently distributed by The Report Store (913-842-7348).  For more
info, try "User interface prototyping: A review of PC-based tools and their
features," Proceedings of the Human Factors Society 31st Annual Meeting,
pp 1082-1086.

R. I. Anderson
Human Factors Analyst
Pacific Bell
2600 Camino Ramon, Room 2E850                     (415)823-3715
San Ramon, CA 94583		  ...{att,bellcore,ames,ihnp4}!pacbell!ria