[comp.cog-eng] Voice in Interface Design

mpp@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Michael Palmquist) (12/20/88)

I am looking for sources/examples (products, research, design metaphors) of
voice-activated interface

	o voice-activated systems,
	o voice-recognition systems as secondary/alternative interface,
	o instructional	systems that use voice input/commands/output,
	o hardware/software systems using voice as some method of input/output.

I am a software designer working in the education market (k-12). Any products
(Mac, Apple IIGS, IBM) or research (handicapped, education, language arts,
software with "alternate modalities") specific to my background would be
very much appreciated.

Michael Palmquist

MECC, 3490 Lexington Av. S, St. Paul, MN 55126
mpp@ems.MN.org or @mecc.MN.org

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (12/21/88)

In article <6986@ems.Ems.MN.ORG> mpp@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Michael Palmquist) writes:
>I am looking for sources/examples (products, research, design metaphors) of
>voice-activated interface

A year or so ago, I looked into many of the best commercial voice
products.  Input products are mainly used as a replacement for menus.
That way, the system can compare the input against a small number of
choices and performance is reasonable.  Performance is still much
slower and less accurate (and nosier) than other menu techniques.  The
voice input must also be tuned for each user, which could be a pain in
the classroom.  Still, it could be useful for people who would rather
not (or cannot) use hand-controlled input devices (e.g., keyboards).

Voice (and other sound) output is now common.  Even cars talk to you
these days.  It is especially valuable when other forms of output are
not available (e.g., no screen) or confusing (e.g., the user is busy
focusing on some other display).

Good luck.

Ken Lee
Daisy Systems Corp., Interactive Graphics Tools Dept.
--
uucp:  uunet!daisy!klee		arpanet:  daisy!klee@uunet.uu.net

"DC6 which is being used for [Contra weapons supply] runs out of New Orleans
is probably being used for drug runs into U.S." - Oliver North, August, 1985

mpp@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Michael Palmquist) (12/22/88)

In article <2206@daisy.UUCP>, klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) writes:
> In article <6986@ems.Ems.MN.ORG> mpp@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Michael Palmquist) writes:
> >I am looking for sources/examples (products, research, design metaphors) of
> >voice-activated interface
>
> A year or so ago, I looked into many of the best commercial voice
> products.  Input products are mainly used as a replacement for menus.

Yes. I did find a few research articles in 1987 Conference Proceedings for
ACM's CHI + GI.  Kane & Yuschik (Wang Lab), "A Case Example of HUman
Factors in Product Definition: Needs Finding for a Voice Output Workstation
for the Blind" and Aucella et al. "Voice: Technology Searching for
Needs".

My thought is that if you use voice input you have a tough job of recognition
particularly in an educational setting -- many users, wide variation of
accents and speech abilities. There is also the problem of integrating and
configuring the hardware system. I like Kurtzweil's approach. I don't like the
price.

> Voice (and other sound) output is now common.  Even cars talk to you
> these days.  It is especially valuable when other forms of output are
> not available (e.g., no screen) or confusing (e.g., the user is busy
> focusing on some other display).

That's true. There is an issue of digitized (captured) vs. synthesized
(generated) voice. And subissues: available memory, available storage,
comprehensible output, and modifiablity -- should there be a voice "control
panel" for pitch, tone, speed, male/female, etc. How easy an interface
would that be to learn?

If you have systhesized voice, you have great flexibility in the
data dictionary, but you've got basically (Rob Swigart) "alcoholic robots
with speech impediments".

If you digitize, you have zero flexibility. And a huge data dictionary of
sound packets. But you have recognizable, warm speech.

Well, in a nutshell anyway. Thoughts?

Michael Palmquist: software designer, rogue.

@mecc.mn.org or @ems.mn.org