[comp.cog-eng] Voice Interface

mpp@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Michael Palmquist) (12/29/88)

OK. So this is a first-stab at a bibliography. I haven't done the serious
stuff -- university library and all that -- just work related stuff.

Any contributions to research in voice recognition, voice synthesis, voice
interface issues, voice-input front-ends, or voice-technology in computer
would be greatly appreciated.  Anyone have anything on other systems, DEC, IBM,
or NeXT? How about more technical stuff? Any stuff on Kurzweil Sound Systems?

Voice in Instruction References

Anderson-Inman, Lynne. (1988) "Producing and Using Speech-Based Software: A Panel Presentation" Conference Proceedings: NECC 88. p 165

Aucella, Arlene et al. (1987) "Voice:Technology Searching for Communication Needs", 1987 Conference Proceedings CHI+GI: Human Factors in Computing Systems and Graphics Interface.  41-44

Caldwell, Dr. Robert. (1988) "Can We Talk? Speech Support Instruction on the Apple IIGS" Technology Across the Curriculum: Proceedings of the TCEA 1988 Conference. 123-124.

Chandler, Ann C. (1986) "Computer Aids for the Handicapped", Computers in the Schools, V. 3, Nos. 3/4, Fall/Winter. 51-58.

Chester, Michael. (1988) "Speech recognition systems", Electronic Products, Vol. 30, No. 24,  p. 16-26

Kane, Richard & Yuschik, Matthew. (1987) "A Case Example of Human Factors in Product Definition: Needs Finding for a Voice Output Workstation for the Blind" 1987 Conference Proceedings CHI+GI: Human Factors in Computing Systems and Graphics Interface. 69-73

Lane, E. Rachel. (1988) "Writing To Read" Technology Across the Curriculum: Proceedings of the TCEA 1988 Conference. 117-118

Lazzaro, Joseph J. (1988) "Voice Synthesis", CD-ROM Review, Vol. 3, No. 8. October, 1988, 22-26.

Mason, Susan, et al. (1986) "Computer-Assisted Speech Synthesis for Severly Disabled Nonverbal Individuals", Computers in the Schools, V. 3, Nos. 3/4, Fall/Winter. 131-140

Mensing, Linda & Meyer, Ann. (1987) "Strategies for Sequential Phonics Instruction Using Computer Software" Proceedings, NECC 1987 200-203.

Nelson, Barbara & Baxley, Barbara. (1988) "The Apple Learning Series for K-12 Reading/Language Arts. Conference Proceedings: NECC 88. 103-110.

Power On!  New Tools for Teaching and Learning. (1988) Congress of the United States.  Office of Technology Assessment, "Language Arts" 60-63.

Rushakoff, Gary and Bull, Glen. (1986) "Microcomputers in Communications Disorders", Computers in the Schools, V. 3, Nos. 3/4, Fall/Winter. 141-157

Schweid, Richard.  (1988) "Technology sparks learning for blind students",
Electronic Education, Vol. 6, No. 5,  12-16.

Smith, Lynne G. et al. (1986) "Intelligibility of Computer Synthesized Speech Among Mildly Handicapped and Nonhandicapped Youth", Computers in the Schools, V. 3, Nos. 3/4, Fall/Winter. 75-79

"Speech Recognition Technology". Technical Report, October 1985. Educational Technology Center, Harvard Graduate School of Education.

Technical References

"AppleIIGS Sound", (1987) Apple IIGS Hardware Reference, Addison-Wesley, 95-114.

"Audio Interchange File Format: 'AIFF' -- A Standard for Sampled Sound File", (1988) Apple Computer Inc.

"Sound Tool Set 21-1", (1987) Apple IIGS Toolbox Reference: Volume 2, 21-1 - 21-36,  Addison-Wesley.

Swigart, Rob.  (1987) "Basics: What programmers need to know about the nature of sound and how the Apple IIGS produces it", A+ Magazine, March, 1987 55-60.

Secondary Sources

Bennett, C. & Alter, K. (1985) Word Class Inventory. San Diego: College-Hill Press.

Cumming G. & McCorriston, M. (1981) "Evaluation of computer speech for use with CAI for young children". Journal of Computer-Based Instruction, 8(2), 22-27

Grossfeld & Grossfeld. (Eds.) (1986) Microcomputer Applications in Rehabilitation of Communication Disorders. Rockville, MD: Aspen Systems.

Kelso D. & Vanderheidan (1982) Talking Blissapple. Madison, WI: Trace Center.

Murphy, Richard & Appel, Lola. (1985) Evaluation of the Writing to Read Instructional System 1982-1984 (Princeton: ETS).

Northern, J. (Ed.) (1985) Personal Computers for Speech-Language-Hearing Professionals. Boston: Little, Brown.

Oshrin, M. & Lehrman, J. (1984) "Intelligibility of Computer Synthesized Speech", Perceptual and Motor Skills,  59, 619-622

Schwartz, A. (Ed.) (1984) Handbook of Microcomputer Applications in Communication Disorders. San Diego: College-Hill Press.

Wertz, F., Kehrberg, K., & Wertz, J. (1983) Blissymbolics bliss drills.
St. Paul, MN, M.E.C.C.

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (12/31/88)

One idea I have long been curious about in this area: has anyone tried to do
an acoustic "window" manager?  Spatial location can be faked by shifting the
phase of the output between the left and right ears; differently pitched
voices could be used to provide a second dimension, so mouse or trackball
movements would map onto a "screen" with maybe twenty "windows", like:

		soprano	soprano	soprano	soprano	soprano
FAR								FAR
		alto	alto	alto	alto	alto
LEFT								RIGHT
		tenor	tenor	tenor	tenor	tenor

		bass	bass	bass	bass	bass

Perhaps reinforce the phase separation by using synthesizers with different
accents, too?  It's not obvious what the best way to indicate focus is in this
scheme - maybe by adding a tone when not focused on any one window, which
would stop when you clicked to select the window you wanted?  Such a tone
could encode spatial information itself - cavernous echoes when in big
directories?  "cd /flute/bagpipes/breaking_glass"?

Comments from any blind programmers out there?  How much can we reasonably ask
trained human ears to do?

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk          USENET: jack@glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack

matt@iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) (12/31/88)

In article <7015@ems.Ems.MN.ORG>, mpp@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Michael Palmquist) writes:

> Any contributions to research in voice recognition, voice synthesis, voice
> interface issues, voice-input front-ends, or voice-technology in computer
> would be greatly appreciated.  Anyone have anything on other systems, DEC, IBM,
> or NeXT? How about more technical stuff? Any stuff on Kurzweil Sound Systems?

Byte Magazine, September 1984, "Speech and Voice Synthesis"  by Tom Clune

Computers & Electronics, July 1984, "Mister Impossible: Ray Kurzweil" by
Louise Melton; "The Next Generation of Speech Recognition" by Maryann Walsh
and Josef Bernard

If you're interested in products:

  Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) "Speech Command System" works with
	 MS-DOS machines

  Kurzweil AI (Waltham, MA) "Voice System 3000" also for MS-DOS machines
	 via RS232

matt

--
Matthew Reedy                 UUCP: {harvard!adelie,gatech!petro}!iquery!matt
Programmed Intelligence Corp.