[comp.cog-eng] Human Factors: Paper-Like Interface

garye@hpdsla.HP.COM (Gary Ericson) (12/09/88)

A few months ago, IBM announced it was working on something it called the
Paper-Like Interface (PLI) project.  To quote InfoWorld:

   "It uses an electronic pen to write on the transparent [digitizing]
    tablet, which lies directly on an LCD screen, combining the functions
    of a keyboard and a monitor, according to project manager Jim Rhyne.

    The computer was trained to recognize handwritten characters and
    symbols, allowing users to perform tasks faster than possible with
    either a mouse or keyboard, IBM said."

The idea of this kind of interface has been around for a long time.  Have there
been any human factors studies done on this type of technology?  Specifically:

   - would a user consider this kind of interface more intuitive than,
     say, a mouse and keyboard, as some have claimed?  is it "faster"?

   - what are the ergonomic effects of looking *down* at a tablet instead
     of *straight-ahead* at a screen for an extended period of time?

Gary Ericson - Hewlett-Packard, Technical Systems Division
               phone: (408)746-5098  mailstop: 101N  email: gary@hpdsla9.hp.com

bradb@ai.toronto.edu (Brad Brown) (12/10/88)

RE IBM's announcement of a "paper-like" interface:

I don't know very much about it, but the latest issue of ComputerWorld
(a trade rag) that crossed my desk carried a blerb about a new product
from Wang Information Systems that has an LCD pad that you write on
with a stylus.  It was not clear what kind of software it ran or
whether it was able to do full general character recognition, but it's
a real product...   A few months ago I heard of a similar product from
another company, can't remember who, that tried to acomplish the same
thing.  Both systems seem to be very expensive and it's not clear to
me that the technology is there to make them work really well.

Q:  How many people would really want an interface like this?  I would
love to draw on paper for things like drawings and equations, and it
would probably be very nice for menu selections if the menus would
change as you touched them.  I don't really think, however, that a
stylus would be better for text input -- in my case, I type *much*
faster than I write and my writing is not very good.  My typing is
so much better than my writing that I prefer to compose text directly
into a word processor, where one of the advantages is that I can look
at my notes or a paper while I type, letting the word processor deal
with word wrap and stuff...

					(-:  Brad Brown  :-)
					bradb@ai.toronto.edu

nick@hp-sdd.hp.com (Nick Flor) (12/13/88)

In article <88Dec10.134912est.10521@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu> bradb@ai.toronto.edu (Brad Brown) writes:

>Q:  How many people would really want an interface like this?  I would
>love to draw on paper for things like drawings and equations, and it
>would probably be very nice for menu selections if the menus would
>change as you touched them.  I don't really think, however, that a
>stylus would be better for text input -- in my case, I type *much*
>faster than I write and my writing is not very good.  My typing is
>so much better than my writing that I prefer to compose text directly
>into a word processor, where one of the advantages is that I can look
>at my notes or a paper while I type, letting the word processor deal
>with word wrap and stuff...
>
>					(-:  Brad Brown  :-)
>					bradb@ai.toronto.edu

Well maybe not for text input, but you have to remember  that  typing is
so much slower than  thinking.  If the machine that  supports the stylus
input is very good at  recognizing  patterns,  then you could input your
thoughts  in  short  hand,  or some  concept  driven  alphabet,  or more
generally, whatever minimizes the action  specification for representing
a thought on the stylus  device.  (Read ch.3 (Cog.  Eng.)  by D.  Norman
in the UCSD book, for an excellent (and I'm not saying this just because
he reads this group) model on the the 7 stages of user activity)

Of course we can read faster than we can talk, so, at least in the case of
short hand, we don't have to display our data in the format we input it.

Nick
--
+ Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own, not necessarily my employer's.   +
+ Oh, sure. Sure. I'm going. But I got  | Nick V. Flor           * * o * *    +

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) (12/14/88)

In article <88Dec10.134912est.10521@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu>, bradb@ai.toronto.edu (Brad Brown) writes:
> RE IBM's announcement of a "paper-like" interface:

> Q:  How many people would really want an interface like this?  I would
> love to draw on paper for things like drawings and equations, and it
> would probably be very nice for menu selections if the menus would
> change as you touched them.  I don't really think, however, that a
> stylus would be better for text input -- in my case, I type *much*
> faster than I write and my writing is not very good.  My typing is
> so much better than my writing ...

An obvious answer is to draw a typewriter keyboard on your LCD display
and use its touch sensitivity to determine what "keys" you type.

This approach could work with the VIVED helmet/data glove as well.

I would like to see an LCD/touchscreen setup the size of an office
whiteboard -- totally interfaced to our development systems, of course,
multiwindowed with all the character recognition capabilities discussed,
both to turn entered data into a nice high-content-proportional-to-number-
of-bits form (ASCII text, rather than a bitmap or something), plus it would
clean up my penmanship :-)
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl

bradb@ai.toronto.edu (Brad Brown) (12/15/88)

In article <2442@ficc.uu.net> karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) writes:
>In article <88Dec10.134912est.10521@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu>, bradb@ai.toronto.edu (Brad Brown) writes:
>> RE IBM's announcement of a "paper-like" interface:
>
>> Q:  How many people would really want an interface like this?  ...
>> I don't really think, however, that a stylus would be better for
>> text input ...
>
>An obvious answer is to draw a typewriter keyboard on your LCD display
>and use its touch sensitivity to determine what "keys" you type.

That's not a very good answer -- have you ever tried to type on a membrane
keyboard (one that has no tactile feedback) before?  It's not easy or
accurate.  Perhaps the keyboard will start to go away in machines like
executive workstations and shop-floor computers, where it only gets in
the way anyway, but in the case of people who have to work with text,
be it words or program code, I think the keyboard is the better way to
go, perhaps *aided* by touch-sensitive input devices.  Now if we could
only make a _better_ keyboard so everyone would be happy...

					(-:  Brad Brown  :-)
					bradb@ai.toronto.edu

garye@hpdsla.HP.COM (Gary Ericson) (12/16/88)

> An obvious answer is to draw a typewriter keyboard on your LCD display
> and use its touch sensitivity to determine what "keys" you type.
I don't think that would work as well.  Someone I know did an informal study on
touch-typing and found that you couldn't vary the standard keyboard size and
feel by very much at all before typing fell apart.  I don't think the display
would have appropriate tactal feedback to make typing as efficient as on a
standard keyboard.  Maybe with practice, however.

> This approach could work with the VIVED helmet/data glove as well.
This I like...

> I would like to see an LCD/touchscreen setup the size of an office
> whiteboard ...
I like this too.  What about making it swivel so you could also sit down at it
like at a drafting table and lean on it?  I wonder how long you could work at
something like that (vertical whiteboard or drafting table) without tiring or
getting a sore back/neck.

rwl@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Ray Lubinsky) (12/19/88)

In article <2442@ficc.uu.net>, karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) writes:

> An obvious answer is to draw a typewriter keyboard on your LCD display
> and use its touch sensitivity to determine what "keys" you type.

Please, no!  Have you every used a membrane keyboard (a la Atari 400 long ago
in a home computer market far away)?  Yuck!  Absolutely no tacile feedback --
drives a touch typist crazy.

> This approach could work with the VIVED helmet/data glove as well.

Now we're talking, if you can include some kind of force-feedback within the
glove.  Then you can have a virtual keyboard that feels like whatever kind of
keyboard you're comfortable with; with the helment, I guess you could make the
keyboard *look* like whatever you wanted too.  If I were feeling nostalgic,
perhaps I'd make it look like my Dad's old c. 1940 Olivetti manual
typewriter....

--
| Ray Lubinsky,                    UUCP:      ...!uunet!virginia!uvacs!rwl    |
| Department of                    BITNET:    rwl8y@virginia                  |

don@brillig.umd.edu (Don Hopkins) (12/19/88)

Membrane keyboards just don't cut it. What I've always wanted was real
mechanical keyboard with a little dynamically programmable lcd (or
whatever) display on *each* keytop. I think it'll be a while till such
a keyboard could be manufactured, let alone a mass produced reliably
and cheaply. (I could be wrong, I hope!)  Mechanical keyboards receive
a *lot* of abuse. (I just cleaned out an old keyboard that practically
had fur mats (maybe the cat's been sleeping on it...))

When you press the caps lock key, all the letters should shift to
upper case. When you're typing into a numeric field, everything but
the numbers and editing keys should be dimmed. Context sensative
function keys with dynamic labels. You should be able to look at the
keyboard to see what font you're typing in. It would be great for
typing in funny symbols and big fonts like Kanji.

I think Bell Labs did some neat stuff using a half-silvered mirror
above a keyboard, to overlay dynamically changing graphics and text on
the keys. The keyboard and your hands were beneath the mirror, which
reflected an inverted video image at you, so the graphics appeared to
float above your hands. That way your fingers didn't get in the way of
seeing the key labels. I could dig up a reference if anybody's
interested.

But I still want something I can put in my lap.

	-Don

bertrand@cui.UUCP (IBRAHIM Bertrand) (12/19/88)

>>> RE IBM's announcement of a "paper-like" interface:
>>
>>> Q:  How many people would really want an interface like this?  ...
>>> I don't really think, however, that a stylus would be better for
>>> text input ...
>>
>>An obvious answer is to draw a typewriter keyboard on your LCD display
>>and use its touch sensitivity to determine what "keys" you type.
>
>That's not a very good answer -- have you ever tried to type on a membrane
>keyboard (one that has no tactile feedback) before?  It's not easy or
>accurate.  Perhaps the keyboard will start to go away in machines like
>executive workstations and shop-floor computers, where it only gets in
>the way anyway, but in the case of people who have to work with text,
>be it words or program code, I think the keyboard is the better way to
>go, perhaps *aided* by touch-sensitive input devices.  Now if we could
>only make a _better_ keyboard so everyone would be happy...

Here, at the University of Geneva, we have built more than 15 years ago such
an interface based on a plasma display and an infrared "touch panel". The
display was square (about 8 inches sides) with 512x512 pixels and the input
device had a resolution of 160x160. Any opaque object could be used to point
to the screen (including a finger) and the position could be sampled 50 times
per second, allowing a complete tracking of the movements of the finger.

The equipment had also a regular keyboard attached to it. So, for text
intensive applications like text editors, we used the keyboard for character
input and the "touch panel" for cursor positioning and text selection with the
finger in a very natural way. I think that having to use a stylus makes it much
less comfortable since you have to pick it to make a selection and drop it to
type on the keyboard.

For graphic intensive applications like graphic editors where you had very
little text to enter but mainly free hand drawing or rubberbanding, we used a
simulated keyboard drawn at the bottom of the screen. Typing was not very fast
(about two characters per second) but acceptable.

An interresting consequence of the tight coupling of the input and output
devices was the disappearence of the notion of cursor (for graphics). The
finger WAS the cursor. Another interesting point was also the use we made
of the finger up <-> finger down transitions to build a more user friendly
interface.

For those who are interested in getting more information about it, I can send
hardcopies of papers published on this.

Bertrand Ibrahim

email:              to BITNET                             to EAN
from
BITNET IBRAHIM@CGEUGE51.BITNET                 bertrand%cui.unige.ch@CERNVAX
ARPA   IBRAHIM%CGEUGE51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU bertrand%cui.unige.ch@ubc.csnet
UUCP                                           cernvax!cui!bertrand.uucp
UUCP                                           mcvax!cernvax!cui!bertrand.uucp
UUCP                                           cui!bertrand@cernvax.UUCP
EAN                                            bertrand@cui.unige.ch
JANET                                      bertrand%cui.unige.ch@uk.ac.ean-relay

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) (12/20/88)

In article <88Dec14.210656est.10862@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu>, bradb@ai.toronto.edu (Brad Brown) writes:
> That's not a very good answer -- have you ever tried to type on a membrane
> keyboard (one that has no tactile feedback) before?  It's not easy or
> accurate.  ...

I think the problem with membrane keyboards is more one of accuracy than
feedback, that is, you hit the keys and the keyboard doesn't register them.
A paper-like interface, one that can record where a stylus is, should easily
overcome that part of the problem.  To provide some feedback, perhaps a
click sound could be played, and of course the text would usually be shown
as it was typed, somewhere on the "paper."

As a simple test, move your hands off the keyboard and try typing on your
desk as if it were a keyboard.  It seems like it would work OK for me, again
if the paper-like interface was highly accurate and responsive.

Also, it makes custom keyboards and non-standard key arrangements, like
Dvorak, really a snap to prototype and implement, and does so without
locking anyone into anyone else's keyboard decisions.

I understand your complaints, but I do not think they can be construed as
an overwhelming indictment of the concept until more work has been done.
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl	"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
-- karl@ficc.uu.net	encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without

garye@hpdsla.HP.COM (Gary Ericson) (12/22/88)

> Here, at the University of Geneva, we have built more than 15 years ago such
> an interface based on a plasma display and an infrared "touch panel".

> ... for text intensive applications like text editors, we used the keyboard
> for character input and the "touch panel" for cursor positioning and text
> selection with the finger in a very natural way.

> For graphic intensive applications ... we used a simulated keyboard drawn
> at the bottom of the screen.

I'm curious about using the touch panel in this manner.  I assume the screen
was vertical, meaning that the user would have to reach up and forward to touch
the screen.  Did users feel it is tiring or frustrating to suspend the hand
in the air for extended periods of time, or does the benefit of direct contact
with the graphics/data override this sensation?  Have you thought of the
possibility of a more horizontal display (with touch panel) instead?

> For those who are interested in getting more information about it, I can send
> hardcopies of papers published on this.

Just in case my email doesn't get there, I'll also request a copy here (my
address is below).  Thanks for providing it.

> Bertrand Ibrahim

Gary Ericson
Hewlett-Packard, Workstation Technology Division
1266 Kifer Road
Sunnyvale, California  94086
USA

phone: (408)746-5098  mailstop: 101N  email: gary@hpdsla9.hp.com

bradb@ai.toronto.edu (Brad Brown) (12/22/88)

In article <314@cui.UUCP> bertrand@cui.UUCP (IBRAHIM Bertrand) writes:

[... stuff about how drawing text with a stylus is not fun, how
     touch-sensitive input systems should have a keyboard as
     well, and how evil it would be to simulate a keyboard on
     the display ...]

>Here, at the University of Geneva, we have built more than 15 years ago such
>an interface based on a plasma display and an infrared "touch panel". The
>display was square (about 8 inches sides) with 512x512 pixels and the input
>device had a resolution of 160x160. Any opaque object could be used to point
>to the screen (including a finger) and the position could be sampled 50 times
>per second, allowing a complete tracking of the movements of the finger.
>
>The equipment had also a regular keyboard attached to it....
>
>For graphic intensive applications like graphic editors where you had very
>little text to enter but mainly free hand drawing or rubberbanding, we used a
>simulated keyboard drawn at the bottom of the screen. Typing was not very
>fast (about two characters per second) but acceptable.
>
>An interresting consequence of the tight coupling of the input and output
>devices was the disappearence of the notion of cursor (for graphics). The
>finger WAS the cursor. Another interesting point was also the use we made
>of the finger up <-> finger down transitions to build a more user friendly
>interface.

This is the kind of thing that I was thinking of when I started the
complaints about keyboardless systems.  My concern was that machines
like the new Wang thing or IBMs new offering would be 'sexy' but not
fun to use after the first hour or so for people who need to do a lot
of work with text.  Adding a keyboard and integrating it into the system
is the best idea.

Further ideas:  Several years ago HP had a version of one of their IBM PC
compatable micros (HP-150?) that had a sort-of-touch-sensitive display.
In the moulding around the display were two rows, one vertical and one
horizontal, of IR LEDs with receptors.  Software could read the state of
some circuits that told them whether anything was blocking any of the
diodes, and if so where on the screen the object was put.  That meant
that cursor movement in, say, a word processor, could be handled by
touching the text location on the screen with a pencil.  (HP supplied
a version of WordStar that implemented this.)  Function keys could be
drawn anywhere on the screen, with any contents, and activated by touching.
The device could resolve what line you were pointing at (25 line display)
and could resolve down to two characters in the horizontal direction.
(I think...)  The machine was very nice, but innovative hardware dies
fast when it tries to compete in the lowest-common-denominator IBM PC
world, and this machine never cought on.

Allong the same lines, Steve Ciarcia did a column in Byte a few years
ago describing a home-brew version of the same thing.  I think he was
the consulting engineer who designed the HP part, but I can't prove it.

Lastly, major shopping malls have touch-sensitive information kiosks
that show little commercials on a display and let you pick from menus
of store information.  I have seen similar ideas in trade shows.

What *I* would like to see is a flat-panel display that I could sit
on my desk at a slight angle behind a detached keyboard.  I would like
my computer to run a major windowing system (SunOS, X, whatever) and
be able to perform "mouse" operations by running my finger over the
display.  That makes my machine compatable with existing software and
still lets me take advantage of the touch-sensitive input.  Then I
can enjoy all these new features while I wait for the idea to catch
on and spawn lots of nice software that really takes advantage of it.
;-).

					(-:  Brad Brown  :-)
					bradb@ai.toronto.edu
					bradb@ai.utoronto.ca

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (12/23/88)

On keeping input bandwidth high with a paper-like interface:

>> [I type] faster than I write and my writing is not very good.  My typing is
>> so much better than my writing ...
>An obvious answer is to draw a typewriter keyboard on your LCD display
>and use its touch sensitivity to determine what "keys" you type.

But then some people will claim they need tactile feedback to type
effectively.  I think that you'll need a 'real' keyboard for a while.

I believe that people will adapt to whatever input modality they're
using the most, so that the handwriting speed will improve with practive,
eventually surpassing typing.  [Don't count on anyone except the computer
to be able to recognize the chicken-scratch anymore.  I'll bet that even
the user won't be able to read it back the next day.]

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

bertrand@cui.UUCP (IBRAHIM Bertrand) (01/04/89)

>> Here, at the University of Geneva, we have built more than 15 years ago such
>> an interface based on a plasma display and an infrared "touch panel".
>
>I'm curious about using the touch panel in this manner.  I assume the screen
>was vertical, meaning that the user would have to reach up and forward to touch
>the screen.  Did users feel it is tiring or frustrating to suspend the hand
>in the air for extended periods of time, or does the benefit of direct contact
>with the graphics/data override this sensation?  Have you thought of the
>possibility of a more horizontal display (with touch panel) instead?
>
>Gary Ericson

In fact, the first prototype, built in 1973 was vertical and was mainly used
for text processing. The finger input was used for text selection and menu
entry. I asked our secretary who was the main user of that equipment and she
told me that she didn't feel it tiring since it was only from time to time
that she had to raise her arm to the screen.

Another prototype, built in 1975, was horizontal and integrated in a flat table.
This one was mainly used for graphic applications. The user could easily rest
his arm on the table while pointing at the screen with a finger. The keyboard
could sit on the side of the screen or on the user's lap. There was enough
room on the table for any paper, drawing or listing the user could need. The
equipment was used for free hand drawing as well as for technical drawing.
Having used this equipment quite a lot myself, I felt that it might have been
a little bit more comfortable if the surface of the screen was not completely
horizontal but rather at a slight angle.

Bertrand Ibrahim

email              to BITNET                             to EAN
from
BITNET IBRAHIM@CGEUGE51.BITNET                 bertrand%cui.unige.ch@CERNVAX
ARPA   IBRAHIM%CGEUGE51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU bertrand%cui.unige.ch@ubc.csnet
UUCP                                           cernvax!cui!bertrand.uucp
UUCP                                           mcvax!cernvax!cui!bertrand.uucp
UUCP                                           cui!bertrand@cernvax.UUCP
EAN                                            bertrand@cui.unige.ch
JANET                                      bertrand%cui.unige.ch@uk.ac.ean-relay

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (01/06/89)

In an article, Gary Ericson asks:

> I'm curious about using the touch panel in this manner.  I assume the
> screen was vertical, meaning that the user would have to reach up and
> forward to touch the screen.  Did users feel it is tiring or
> frustrating to suspend the hand in the air for extended periods of
> time, or does the benefit of direct contact with the graphics/data
> override this sensation?

Yes, yes, YES.  Both Tektronix and Hewlett Packard have burdened
users of their test instruments with touch screens.  And yes, your
arm gets darn tired.  Also, after a couple of hours of use, the
screen is so dirty and greasy from all those finger presses, that you
can barely read it anymore.  Touch screens that are meant to be both
touched and read, are a big lose.  Even those parts of the screen
that don't have touch buttons get greasy from bracing your hands.

Touch might be interesting as a replacement for a digitizing tablet,
though.

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.cts.com     ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (01/10/89)

/ hpindda:comp.cog-eng / rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) /  7:39 pm  Jan  5, 1989 /
> Yes, yes, YES.  Both Tektronix and Hewlett Packard have burdened
> users of their test instruments with touch screens.  And yes, your
> arm gets darn tired.  Also, after a couple of hours of use, the
> screen is so dirty and greasy from all those finger presses, that you

Rick-
	how about using a closed pen (or other such device) to point
instead of your fingers if they're dirty?  Agreed, having one keep
one's arm raised, Tai-Chi style, is no fun, but I still think color
flat touch screens are the way to go.  Color, because of the obvious
advantages of multiple highlighting and the like.  Flat, because with
the current environments (read: windows) no matter how big your screen
is, it ain't big enough, and CRT displays have an exponential cost to
size ratio, whereas flat (LCD) screens have a more linear function (not
to mention the fact that flat screens take up MUCH less space).  Touch
(or stylus) sensitive for the reasons discussed- namely a direct mapping
from tactile work area to abstract work area (whereas with mice/keyboards
the tactile area is different from the abstract area (window) and can cause
confusion).  And definitely adjustable for comfortability.  Such projects
are in research stages now, with development probably in the early 90s.
My guess would be that some startup will hit the PC market with a color
LCD touchdisplay sometime in the next couple of years, with the larger
companies following.  After some time, workstation interfaces will also
be available (probably with the same speed that the windowing/big screen
environment took control in the last 5 years or so).  (generalized
prediction/opinion)

	What does everyone think of having a touchscreen keyboard if the
application isn't very typing-intense?  Seems that a color, flat, horizontal,
touch display could quite easily pop up a keyboard window for some short
typing when necessary, then make it go away when not needed.  Surely  there's
been discussions of the agonies of touch-typing in this group in the past-
could someone post the issues and verdicts?

						kevin

garye@hpdsla.HP.COM (Gary Ericson) (01/11/89)

> Agreed, having one keep
> one's arm raised, Tai-Chi style, is no fun, but I still think color
> flat touch screens are the way to go.

Assuming that you use a technology that doesn't require you to keep your arm
out of the way (i.e., infra-red lines would be interrupted by your arm if
you set it down on the screen), I was talking with someone about how it
might be possible to distinguish between a small touched area (pen/finger
point) and a large touched area (side of hand or forearm resting on the
screen).  If you can identify the pen/finger point, maybe you can let the
user rest his arm or hand or elbow on the screen for support.  This would
make it much easier to use, at least for a semi-horizontal screen.

> 	What does everyone think of having a touchscreen keyboard if the
> application isn't very typing-intense?  Seems that a color, flat, horizontal,
> touch display could quite easily pop up a keyboard window for some short
> typing when necessary, then make it go away when not needed.

For me, if it was a small amount of text and I already had a pen in hand for
pointing, I think I'd rather write out the text in longhand on the screen
with the pen.  Typing on a non-tactile-feedback screen would be more tedious
to me than writing the words out by hand.

> Surely  there's
> been discussions of the agonies of touch-typing in this group in the past-
> could someone post the issues and verdicts?

I think the conclusions have been that the lack of tactile feedback would
make it difficult to be real efficient on a keyboard window.  Some people
say they would abhore the thing while others wouldn't mind using it (at
least for small amounts of text).

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (01/11/89)

In article <3500002@hpindda.HP.COM> kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) writes:

>	What does everyone think of having a touchscreen keyboard if the
>application isn't very typing-intense?  Seems that a color, flat, horizontal,
>touch display could quite easily pop up a keyboard window for some short
>typing when necessary, then make it go away when not needed.  Surely  there's
>been discussions of the agonies of touch-typing in this group in the past-
>could someone post the issues and verdicts?

       Rather than a horizontal display, why not allow for angling the display
as with a drafting table.  Hunching over a flat surface can be fatiguing as
well.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LG-129

gln@arizona.edu (Gary L. Newell) (01/14/89)

In article <2690009@hpdsla.HP.COM>, garye@hpdsla.HP.COM (Gary Ericson) writes:
> Assuming that you use a technology that doesn't require you to keep your arm
> out of the way (i.e., infra-red lines would be interrupted by your arm if
> you set it down on the screen), I was talking with someone about how it
> > typing when necessary, then make it go away when not needed.
> For me, if it was a small amount of text and I already had a pen in hand for
> pointing, I think I'd rather write out the text in longhand on the screen
> with the pen.  Typing on a non-tactile-feedback screen would be more tedious
> to me than writing the words out by hand.
> Gary Ericson - Hewlett-Packard, Workstation Technology Division

There has been quite a bit of work at IBM T.J. Watson Research in the last
two years on Gestural Interfaces. The use of a transparent tablet over a
flat display seems to be optimal for such a paper/pen like interface. It
eliminates the problems of determining precise points being indicated on
the screen. Applications in editting and spreadsheets or any info.
processing problem are being looked at. I have a number of references for
anyone interested.

Also, note that a keyboard is only preferable to stylus when entering
text, if you are dealing with a small alphabet language (English,
proof reading symbols, etc.) not for languages like Japanese or Chinese,
for these languages a good gestural interface would be superior and
many foreign companies are doing work in this area.

Much more work is needed in this area, especially in the areas of
hardware design (tablet technology is not quite up to the task yet)
and recognition algorithms (gestural recognition has subtle differences
from 'normal' character recognition problems and new algorithms are
likely to be needed if reasonable recognition results are to be
gained).

gary newell

warner@s3snorkel.ARPA (Ken Warner) (01/16/89)

In article <8710@megaron.arizona.edu> gln@arizona.edu (Gary L. Newell) writes:
>In article <2690009@hpdsla.HP.COM>, garye@hpdsla.HP.COM (Gary Ericson) writes:
>> Assuming that you use a technology that doesn't require you to keep your arm
>> out of the way (i.e., infra-red lines would be interrupted by your arm if

This is my main gripe with the current set of pointing devices.  You have to
use your whole arm to move an essentially weightless cursor.  After a day of
mousing around, I have a knot in my shoulder that can really hurt.  Also my
back is tired from the asymetrical position necessary to balance one extended
arm.

>> For me, if it was a small amount of text and I already had a pen in hand for
>> pointing, I think I'd rather write out the text in longhand on the screen
>> with the pen.  Typing on a non-tactile-feedback screen would be more tedious
>
>There has been quite a bit of work at IBM T.J. Watson Research in the last
>two years on Gestural Interfaces. The use of a transparent tablet over a
>flat display seems to be optimal for such a paper/pen like interface. It
>eliminates the problems of determining precise points being indicated on
>the screen. ....

What about the problem of paralax?  The separation between the actual working
surface and the pen is a small but finite amount.  The medium of separation is
refractive.  Unless one's eyes are within a cone of ( I dunno what to call it
... perhaps workability ) it would be similar to trying to poke a fish in water.
This is not much of an error to compensate for, but over time it could
accumulate to a lot of extra work.

Ken Warner

gln@arizona.edu (Gary L. Newell) (01/16/89)

In article <911@scubed.UUCP>, warner@s3snorkel.ARPA (Ken Warner) writes:
> >There has been quite a bit of work at IBM T.J. Watson Research in the last
> >two years on Gestural Interfaces. The use of a transparent tablet over a
> >flat display seems to be optimal for such a paper/pen like interface. It
>
> What about the problem of paralax?

Good question - it is a major problem, but one which it would seem might
be overcome with new hardware advances, in the not too distant future
- but in the short term and in experimental work, it is a reasonable
alternative to have the user indicate the angle of viewing (by touching
three or more displayed points, for example) and use a linear transform
for the electronic inking. Of course, this compensation goes out the window
if the user moves......

I'm not too familiar with state of the art transparent tablets, but I know
that there are some in use that have a distance of 0.177 of an inch
between the display plane and the stylus tip - if this distance is
decreased even more, it would seem a viable input method.

		gary newell

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (01/17/89)

In article <911@scubed.UUCP> warner@s3snorkel.UUCP (Ken Warner) writes:
>This is my main gripe with the current set of pointing devices.  You have to
>use your whole arm to move an essentially weightless cursor.  After a day of
>mousing around, I have a knot in my shoulder that can really hurt.  Also my
>back is tired from the asymetrical position necessary to balance one extended
>arm.

A mouse is a mouse is a mouse, right?  No.  How your computer system
interprets the pulses from the mouse can make a BIG difference.

On a Macintosh I have the mouse tracking set to the fastest speed and
I can move from corner to opposite corner of a 19" screen and never
move the heal of my hand.  I'm far to lazy to move my arm but it's all
in the fingers if you have a well enough designed computer.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (01/17/89)

/ hpindda:comp.cog-eng / gln@arizona.edu (Gary L. Newell) /  2:10 pm  Jan 15, 1989 /
> I'm not too familiar with state of the art transparent tablets, but I know
> that there are some in use that have a distance of 0.177 of an inch
> between the display plane and the stylus tip - if this distance is
> decreased even more, it would seem a viable input method.

Hmmmm.  "What if...."

Stay tuned, kids...

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (01/18/89)

In article <911@scubed.UUCP> warner@s3snorkel.UUCP (Ken Warner) writes:
>This is my main gripe with the current set of pointing devices.  You have to
>use your whole arm to move an essentially weightless cursor.  After a day of
>mousing around, I have a knot in my shoulder that can really hurt.  Also my
>back is tired from the asymetrical position necessary to balance one extended
>arm.

I think Neils Mayer mentioned a while back that he uses a track ball
instead of a mouse (have the same interface- HP-HIL).  That way he
can position using his fingers and find the granularity (sensitivity)
of motion to be much better.  (let's face it- the shoulder muscles
weren't meant for precise movement!)
					kevbop