[comp.cog-eng] Handedness

johnm@uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) (03/21/89)

In article <338@lloyd.camex.uucp>, kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) writes:
> when language was just becoming the biggest rage): did humans have any
> need for the abstract concepts of left and right?  Up and down, yes;
> near and far, yes; bigger and smaller, yes; harder and softer, yes;
> but left and right, I don't think so.

A recent Usenet discussion (in some of the soc.culture.* groups, I think)
bought to light an interesting correlation between left/right and points
of the compass, which crops up in many languages. As I recall, the usual
relationship is that the word for Left is the same or similar to the word
for North, and/or Right corresponding to South (which is the case if one
faces the rising sun). There are also some instances of Left/Right and
West/East correspondence, I think, but none of East/West.

This might seem to endorse the idea that abstract Left/Right concepts
were not as necessary as indications of direction. However, there is
also a traditional association of Left with evil or badness of some
kind, which occurs in many cultures. I would think that abstract Good
and Bad concepts are necessary everywhere. (The other association of
Left with awkwardness or clumsiness may derive from left-handedness
iteslf, rather than vice versa.)

- John Murray, Amdahl Corp. (My own opinions, etc.)

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (04/25/89)

In article <338@lloyd.camex.uucp>, kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) writes:
> did humans have any need for the abstract concepts of left and right?

I'm not at all convinced that the concept of left and right is very abstract.

This suggests an interesting experiment... using various animals,
test to see which ones can be trained to distinguish between left
and right.  If a dog can understand the concept, it's probably not too
abstract.
--
    "Lalabalele talala!  Callabele lalabalica falahle!  |   Andre Guirard
     Callamalala galalate!  Caritalla lalabalee		|   cipher@3m.com

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (04/25/89)

In article <1256@mmm.UUCP> cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) writes:
>In article <338@lloyd.camex.uucp>, kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) writes:
>> did humans have any need for the abstract concepts of left and right?
>
>I'm not at all convinced that the concept of left and right is very abstract.
>
>This suggests an interesting experiment... using various animals,
>test to see which ones can be trained to distinguish between left
>and right.  If a dog can understand the concept, it's probably not too
>abstract.

I talked to a sheepdog owner/trainer about this very point.  She said that
they can train a dog to circle clockwise or counterclockwise around the
sheep, on symbolic command (whistle sequences, or words).  Apparently, the
dogs have a 'natural' tendency to stay opposite their master (surrogate
alpha-male?) when trying to control domestic (surrogate prey?) animals.
So, if the trainer moves clockwise, so will the dog, and if they move
counter clockwise, the dog does too.  So, they induce the dogs behavior and
give the associated command, until they learn the command.

Martin Garnder, in "The Left Handed Universe", said that clockwiseness and
handedness are equivalent concepts (i.e., given one, you can define the
other), and called the general property "parity".

Now, left-right is by far the least salient of our three orthogonal axes.
Up-down dominates, and front-back is obvious.  I think we have to be
'trained' on left-right, too, and that it is not as 'natural' as the others.
I know I have trouble, and almost always have to think about it, and check
my wrists for watches!

David Mark, Geography
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

zwicky@pterodactyl.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth D Zwicky) (04/25/89)

In article <5463@cs.Buffalo.EDU> dmark@sunybcs.UUCP (David Mark) writes:
>Now, left-right is by far the least salient of our three orthogonal axes.
>Up-down dominates, and front-back is obvious.  I think we have to be
>'trained' on left-right, too, and that it is not as 'natural' as the others.
>I know I have trouble, and almost always have to think about it, and check
>my wrists for watches!

How salient the left/right distinction is differs from person to
person.  The more strongly you have a dominant brain hemisphere, the
easier it is to tell left from right. If you don't have a terribly
dominant hemisphere, you may be strikingly unable to tell the
difference (for instance, you may go into reverse instead of turning
on your turn signals in a car with the shift on the steering column;
take illegible phone messages by writing with the hand you don't know
how to write with; and turn the volume on your TV all the way up when
you wanted to turn it off, all of then things I have been known to
do). On the other hand, if you have a clearly dominant hemisphere, you
may be unable to think of a reason why one would be unable to tell
them apart; they will simply seem intuitively different. This can lead
to unfortunate consequences (quote from an operator here: "You mean
there's a reason I can't tell left from right? My boyfriend just says
I'm stupid!").

Women in general have less hemispheric dominance than men; people who
are at all left-handed  generally have less dominance than people who
are right-handed. Observation leads me to believe that both linguists
and computer scientists have a higher proportion of non-dominant
people than the population at large, although I have no data on it,
and the fact that multi-button mice are reasonably popular among
computer scientists would seem to be a counter-argument. (The only
saving grace about a Sun mouse is the Sun keyboard, which handily
indicates right and left. People don't snicker as much as they do
if you tape up a sign with right and left marked up on it.)

	Elizabeth Zwicky

thant@horus.SGI.COM (Thant Tessman) (04/26/89)

In article <1256@mmm.UUCP>, cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) writes:
> In article <338@lloyd.camex.uucp>, kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) writes:
> > did humans have any need for the abstract concepts of left and right?
>
> I'm not at all convinced that the concept of left and right is very abstract.

An interesting book is "The Origin of Consciousness Through the Breakdown
of the Bicameral Mind."  Even if its main premise stretches things a bit,
it does make the point that left versus right is much more "built in" than one
would guess.

thant@sgi.com

meadors@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Tony Meadors) (04/26/89)

In article <5463@cs.Buffalo.EDU> dmark@sunybcs.UUCP (David Mark) writes:
>In article <1256@mmm.UUCP> cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) writes:
>>In article <338@lloyd.camex.uucp>,kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) writes:
>>> did humans have any need for the abstract concepts of left and right?
>>
>>I'm not at all convinced that the concept of
>>left and right is very abstract.
>>This suggests an interesting experiment... using various animals,
>>test to see which ones can be trained to distinguish between left
>>and right.  If a dog can understand the concept, it's probably not too
>>abstract.
>
>I talked to a sheepdog owner/trainer about this very point.  She said that
>they can train a dog to circle clockwise or counterclockwise around the
>sheep, on symbolic command (whistle sequences, or words).  Apparently, the
>dogs have a 'natural' tendency to stay opposite their master (surrogate
>alpha-male?) when trying to control domestic (surrogate prey?) animals.
>So, if the trainer moves clockwise, so will the dog, and if they move
>counter clockwise, the dog does too.  So, they induce the dogs behavior and
>give the associated command, until they learn the command.
>David Mark, Geography
>dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

  Nice example David. But I can't help think that animals circling
on command "to their left" vs. "to their right" is possibly much
different than possessing the "concept of handedness" or even
"left vs right." Afterall, circling is for the sheepdog but a
variation upon a well-practiced motor theme. What an animal "does"
can be misleading of what it "knows."

  The TRANSFER of concept usage between situations is one
method of testing whether an animal "really" has grasped
a particular notion. For example, if some animal (a sheepdog
let's say) could be shown to, upon command, always select from
among alternatives the left or right one; whether using his legs
to pursue, his paw to strike, or mouth to grab; and more importantly,
could do so to novel sets of items, using novel motor patterns;
THEN, I for one would be strongly persuaded that it UNDERSTOOD
the opposing concepts of left and right.

just a note,

tonyM

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (04/26/89)

In article <1256@mmm.UUCP> cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) writes:
>In article <338@lloyd.camex.uucp>, kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) writes:
>> did humans have any need for the abstract concepts of left and right?
>
>I'm not at all convinced that the concept of left and right is very abstract.
>
>This suggests an interesting experiment... using various animals,
>test to see which ones can be trained to distinguish between left
>and right.  If a dog can understand the concept, it's probably not too
>abstract.

I taught my dog to shake hands with me.  The command is "shake."  At
first, she would give me either paw, or both paws, but after a little
bit of training consistently gives me her right paw.

I don't know if this illustrates an understanding of right versus left.
More likely it is positive- and negative-reinforcement at work.  But
hell, I'll bet that's how people learn left from right, too.  I know
lots of people who still don't know the difference without thinking
about it.

Glenn

mpp@uf.msc.umn.edu (Mike Pritchard) (04/27/89)

In article <784@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:
>I taught my dog to shake hands with me.  The command is "shake."  At
>first, she would give me either paw, or both paws, but after a little
>bit of training consistently gives me her right paw.
>
>I don't know if this illustrates an understanding of right versus left.
>More likely it is positive- and negative-reinforcement at work.  But
>hell, I'll bet that's how people learn left from right, too.  I know
>lots of people who still don't know the difference without thinking
>about it.
>
>Glenn

My dog always had a preference for his left paw (we used to say that he
took after me, since I'm left handed :-).  When I taught him to shake he
would always give me his left paw.  After a while I was able to get him
To offer the right paw, but only after I indicated in some way that I wanted
that paw, not the left (touching the right paw was usually enough).
If he wanted some attention, was playing around, etc and decided to use his
paws to do it, he would always wind up using his left paw.
--
Mike Pritchard
Internet: mpp@msc.umn.edu

zwicky@pterodactyl.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth D Zwicky) (04/27/89)

In article <1256@mmm.UUCP> cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) writes:
>This suggests an interesting experiment... using various animals,
>test to see which ones can be trained to distinguish between left
>and right.  If a dog can understand the concept, it's probably not too
>abstract.

I don't know about dogs, but if you generalize about the abstractness
of right/left from horses, you'll be in trouble. Horses know right
from left very well; it is built into them. If you are training a
horse, and it decides that some inanimate object on the track is
a terrifying thing, you will have to train it out of this decision
twice; once with the object on the left, once with the object on the
right. In fact, everything you do on a horse must be done either
both ways, or always the same way. (For instance, you train movements
to both sides, but you don't train the horse to be mounted from either
side; you just always mount it from its left, and who care what it knows
about mounting from the right.)

However, this shouldn't tell us anything about how abstract right/left
is for humans, because this is primarily due to an important
*neurological* difference between people and horses. Horses do
not have a corpus callosum (the bundle of nerve fibers that in
most mammals connect the two hemispheres of the brain). Although
there is still communication between the hemispheres, it is small
enough that for many purposes a horse effectively has two brains.
There's no way for it not to make a right/left distinction; it *is*
a right/left distinction.

Since humans do have a corpus callosum, I can't see that data from
horses are applicable. In fact, I'm not certain that I'm willing to
take evidence from animals at all. Almost anything you can train at
all can be trained to distinguish squares from triangles, but that
doesn't make me think that "square", "triangle" and "shape" are not
abstract concepts.

	Elizabeth

shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) (04/27/89)

+-- meadors@cogsci.UUCP (Tony Meadors) writes:
| In article <5463@cs.Buffalo.EDU> dmark@sunybcs.UUCP (David Mark) writes:
| >In article <1256@mmm.UUCP> cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) writes:
| >>This suggests an interesting experiment... using various animals,
| >>test to see which ones can be trained to distinguish between left
| >>and right.  If a dog can understand the concept, it's probably not too
| >>abstract.
|   [...] . But I can't help think that animals circling
| on command "to their left" vs. "to their right" is possibly much
| different than possessing the "concept of handedness" or even
| "left vs right."

I agree.

I can, for example, be trained to drive on the right-hand side of the
street, and I feel *very* uncomfortable driving on the other side (sweaty
palms, visions of death, etc.).  But if someone in the back seat says,
"turn right," they had better point for me or we could end up anywhere.
I imagine the situation could be similar for sheepdogs.
--
		Stuart Ferguson		(shf@well.UUCP)
		Action by HAVOC

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (05/04/89)

About 20% of the population suffers from some form of Dyslexia.

Dyslexia refers to a collection of cognitive deficits ranging
from left/right confusion, to difficulty in spelling and reading,
to learning disabilities associated with sequential information
processing and deductive reasoning.

The disorder may be caused by a genetically inherited neurological
dysfunction in a portion of the left cerebral cortex.

Prior to the diagnosis of Dyslexia, many dyslexics suffered psychological
stigmatization associated with inadequate academic performance in the
affected areas.  In extreme cases, learning anxieties and feelings
of inferiority further exacerbated the situation, leading to maladaptive
personality distortions and character disorders.

Dyslexia is treatable, in the sense that the cognitive functions
can still be developed in a suitably supportive setting and with
the aid of computer-assisted learning laboratories.

The left-hemisphere deficit is frequently counterbalanced by
right-hemispheric strengths in spatial relations, music, drama,
dance, and sensitivity to nonverbal information.

--Barry Kort