[comp.cog-eng] Interesting book, would like review

craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) (06/16/89)

Recently I came across a book (in the Stanford Univ. main bookstore), whose
title I don't exactly recall, but was something close to:

"Applying Cognitive Science to User Interface Design"
(first) editor was Gardner, publisher was John Wiley and Sons.

I am quite sure of the publisher and might have the editor's name wrong.
The book consisted of several essays on various areas of cognitive science:
linguistics, perception, memory, etc., and followed them up with 'guidelines'
for user interface design based on these surveys.  It ended with a comprehensive
list of guidelines organized by user-interface area:  dialog design, screen
design, etc.

Has anyone got this book, or can someone provide a complete reference?
I'm pretty sure it was a very recent publication, 1986 or so.  Does
anyone know of other books that attempt to provide the same survey-guidelines
structure, and finally, are any of these books any good ?

Craig Hubley
--
	Craig Hubley			-------------------------------------
	craig@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu	"Lead, follow, or get out of the way"

ev@eos.UUCP (Ev Palmer) (06/16/89)

From article <1989Jun15.154533.18151@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, by craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley):
> Recently I came across a book (in the Stanford Univ. main bookstore), whose
> title I don't exactly recall, but was something close to:
>
> "Applying Cognitive Science to User Interface Design"
> (first) editor was Gardner, publisher was John Wiley and Sons.

How about:
Raymond Guidon, "Cognitive Science and Its Applications
for Human-Computer Interaction", Lawrence Erlbaum Ass.,
1988

Everett Palmer
NASA-Ames Research Center

lindsey@cs.exeter.ac.uk (Lindsey Ford) (06/21/89)

In article <1989Jun15.154533.18151@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) writes:

>   Recently I came across a book (in the Stanford Univ. main bookstore), whose
>   title I don't exactly recall, but was something close to:

>   "Applying Cognitive Science to User Interface Design"
>   (first) editor was Gardner, publisher was John Wiley and Sons.

Just in case you never got an answer, and others who may be interested, it's...

Gardiner, M. & Christie, B. (eds) "Applying Cognitive Psychology to User
Interface Design", Wiley, 1987.

Lindsey Ford