[comp.cog-eng] Radiation from computer screen, eye strain

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (07/03/89)

In article <783@lakesys.UUCP> davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) writes:
>I don't believe there is any radiation (as in X-rays) to worry about.  There
>are many other factors that have not been proven to either have or not have
>effect on human beings.

There is some speculation that Radon might be attracted to a VDU screen
(or TV) because of the magnetic field.  If you work in a well-isolated
stone building with closed windows, you might want to measure the radon
in the room and how much congregates around the screen.  I've seen no
EPA data about radon and VDUs.  VDUs do not emit any harmful radiation.
I've seen lots of studies, controls, regulations, etc. in "Health Physics
Journal."

Some people complain of eye strain and astigmatism after n years of VDU
exposure (8 hours a day).  A simple "exercise" prescribed by a physical
therapist / karate master is:

Three times a day, spend 2-3 minutes focusing first on something very
close (your hand) and then something very far (out the window).  Wait
til your eyes focus, then dart to the other object.  He claimed that
flexing the lenses in your eyes would postpone lens hardening in later
life (and the need for bi-focals).

--
-Mitchell F. Wyle
Institut fuer Informationssysteme         wyle@inf.ethz.ch

davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) (07/04/89)

The eye exercise mentioned is also included in The Cambridge Vision Institute's
vision training program.  In that regard, I have two things additional to say:

1)  The exercise does work.

2)  Yes, I did get the program because of eye strain from these dang
    contraptions.

DF

dar@telesoft.UUCP (David Reisner) (07/06/89)

A couple of years ago, I became unhappy with my adaptation from close to
far focusing.  I started doing focusing exercises of the type being
discussed (I thought of this myself).  I like to do it on the freeway -
looking from dash board to close signs to far signs.

At my most recent eye exam, my vision was measured as between 20/10 and
20/15 (corrected, and apparently unusual) and my astigmatism has reduced
by 25% (to 3/4 diopter).

I don't know if there is any relationship.

-David
ucsd!telesoft!dar, dar@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu