[comp.cog-eng] tip-of-the-tongue phenom- phoneme or alphachar?

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (06/28/89)

	When people encounter the tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon and,
as sometimes occurs, remember only the begnning of the desired word,
do they remember the first alphabetic letter or the first phonetic
syllable on average?  In the case of non-alphabetic character sets,
do people with this phenomenon recall only part of the written character,
or part of the word describing that character?

					thanks for any insights,
					  kevin

dsr@stl.stc.co.uk (David Riches) (07/03/89)

I think that people remember the 'image' of what they're trying to
remember but can not remember the associated word for it.

   Dave Riches
   PSS:    dsr@stl.stc.co.uk
   ARPA:   dsr%stl.stc.co.uk@earn-relay.ac.uk
   Smail:  Software Design Centre, (Dept. 103, T2 West),
	   STC Technology Ltd., London Road,
	   Harlow, Essex. CM17 9NA.  England
   Phone:  +44 (0)279-29531 x2496

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (07/11/89)

   For those interested, a couple of other responses I received are below:
   (looks like (from a very small sample set) the alphachars win, which
   (very) loosely implies that words may be stored based on visual information,
   not acoustic info)...

						kevin

From:   ficc!peter@uunet.uu.net

> 	When people encounter the tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon and,
> as sometimes occurs, remember only the begnning of the desired word,
> do they remember the first alphabetic letter or the first phonetic
> syllable on average?

I almost always remember the first alphabetic letter, or maybe a phoneme.
I very rarely remember a whole syllable.
---

From:   huttar@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Lars Huttar)
In article <3500009@hpindda.HP.COM> you write:

>	When people encounter the tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon and,
>as sometimes occurs, remember only the begnning of the desired word,
>do they remember the first alphabetic letter or the first phonetic
>syllable on average?  In the case of non-alphabetic character sets,
>do people with this phenomenon recall only part of the written character,
>or part of the word describing that character?
>
>					thanks for any insights,
>					  kevin

If you're looking for a study, well, this isn't it, but I can tell you
that when this phenomenon happens to me, I remember the first alphabetic
character, even if it doesn't represent the first phoneme of the word.
E.g. 'p' for 'phoneme'.

Lars