[comp.cog-eng] pointer to Rosch-Lakoff-Johnson wanted

carm@umd5.umd.edu (Rick Chimera) (08/22/89)

Where can one find the source for the concepts expressed by
Rosch-Lakoff-Johnson that has been referenced by at least a couple
of recent posts?

thanx,

Rick Chimera

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (08/23/89)

In article <5245@umd5.umd.edu> carm@umd5.umd.edu (Rick Chimera) writes:
>Where can one find the source for the concepts expressed by
>Rosch-Lakoff-Johnson that has been referenced by at least a couple
>of recent posts?
>
>thanx,
>
>Rick Chimera

Lakoff, George, 1987.  Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things: What Categories
   Reveal About the Mind.  Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 614pp.

Johnson, Mark, 1988.  The Body in the Mind: The Bodily Basis of Reason and
   Imagination.  Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Lakoff, George, and Johnson, Mark, 1980.  Metaphors We Live By.  Chicago:
   University of Chicago Press.

Lakoff, George, 1987.  Cognitive Models and Prototype theory.  Chapter 4 in:
   Ulric Neisser, editor, Concepts and conceptual development: Ecological
   and intellectual factors in categorization.  Cambridge, Cambridge
   University Press, pp. 63-100.

Rosch, Eleanor, 1978.  Principles of categorization.  In E. Rosch & B. B.
   Lloyd, editors, Cognition and Categorization.  Hillsdlae, NJ, Erlbaum,
   pp. 27-48.

Rosch, Eleanor, 1973.  On the internal structure of perceptual and
   semantic categories.  In T.E. Moore, editor, Cognitive Development and
   the Acquisition of Language, New York: Academic Press.

I found the Lakoff book "Women, Fire..." to be rather 'wordy' (sorry, George),
and at one point I had to skip ahead to Chapter 17 "Cognitve Semantics",
where he presents the details of his model, to get enough encouragement
to slog through the rest.  But, this book "changed my life" in the way I
think about cognitve science at least, and I recommend it highly.  The
Lakoff article is difficult for the opposite reason, in that 37 pages is
not enough room, and it seems to me that the article would be pretty difficult
for someone who had not read the book.  The geometric mean size,
151 pages, probably would be about right  :-)

Be advized that not everyone working in cognitive science has accepted these
ideas; Steven Harnad has recently posted some dissenting opinions on
comp.ai.

David Mark
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

ghh@thought.princeton.edu (Gilbert Harman) (08/24/89)

Lakoff's latest:

Lakoff, George and Turner, Mark, 1989.  More than Cool
   Reason: A Field Guide to Poetic Metaphor.  Chicago:
   University of Chicago Press.

--
		       Gilbert Harman
                       Princeton University Cognitive Science Laboratory

		       ghh@princeton.edu
		       HARMAN@PUCC.BITNET