[comp.cog-eng] Re^2: What to know & universal icons

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (a.k.a. Fish-Guts) (09/04/89)

craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) writes:
>Well, it does exist and it's called Chinese.  Yes, I know it's been said
>before, but I for one would be *very glad* to learn Chinese characters, which
>in fact only has to be done once per lifetime, than learn a dozen stupid icons
>every time I fire up a new Mac, Sun, or NeXT application.  The fact is, it's
>*easier* to learn Chinese than do this again, over and over, dozens of times.

     However, the point of the original discussion (as I understood
it) was to find icons that are easy to understand for those other than
computer users.  I like your idea of using Chinese/Japanese characters
(also known as pictograms).  Unfortunately, although these pictograms
started out as iconic representations which closely resembled real
objects and actions, their forms have been altered over the years so
that the pictograms now only vaguely resemble the originals.  These
days, most non-computer-users would probably have a hard time
identifying an action/object from an unknown Chinese/Japanese
character.

     Another problem (which you pointed out) is the different meanings
that characters can have (even within the *same* language).  One
character sometimes (usually?) has more than one meaning; if you see
the character on the screen, which meaning does it represent?  It is
obvious that if this is going to work, some "standard" (oh no, not
another one!) will have to be drafted describing which characters to
use and the single meaning they would have if used as a computer icon.

     I really like your idea.  Having spoken fluent Japanese when I
was young (which I have subsequently forgotten), I would welcome this
approach to icons; hell, now that you have spoken out, I may convert
my icons to characters instead.  However, characters used as icons
will not help non-computer-users, and this is something that concerns
me very much.  One of the attractions of the Macintosh was that it had
icons which were fairly easy to learn and recognize.  This allowed a
lot more people to start out with it, because it was not intimidating.
However, at least for non-Chinese/Japanese, using characters as icons
would remove that "ease-of-use" and would result in another level of
cryptic information that has to be learned, possibly resulting in more
people being turned off.  This is a huge drawback, in my eyes.

--
Christopher Lishka                 ...!{rutgers|ucbvax|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene                   lishka%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind -- or not to have a mind at all.
How true that is." -- V.P. Dan Quayle, garbling the United Negro College
Fund slogan in an address to the group (from Newsweek, May 22nd, 1989)

efrethei@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Erik J. Fretheim) (09/05/89)

Since Chinese and Japanese have been quashed as the computer ideogramatic
language of choice why not drift back several thousand years to the mid-east.
There were a couple of languages there which might be of service, and being
dead languages they won't have the disadvantage of changing just as you get to
know them.

--
erik

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Brain-fried after too much hacking) (09/23/89)

rpb@dasys1.UUCP (Robert Brady) writes:

>	Isn't Chinese made up of 100 and some odd building blocks? The interactions between these would be in some sort of system.

     No.  *Written* Chinese is composed of tens of thousands of
"characters" (i.e. symbols).  Most of the time, these characters have
meanings in the same way that English words have meanings.  Many times
one single character can have several different meanings.  *Spoken*
Chinese is made up of a small number of short "syllable-like" words.
These short words differ mostly in "inflection"; e.g. whether the your
tone rises or falls while you are saying the words.  One of these
words can have a multitude of different meanings, of which the correct
one depends entirely on context.  In addition, a single *written*
character can represent many different spoken words.

     Japanese is a bit different.  Many, many centuries ago Japan had
a *spoken* language but no written language.  Since the Japanese were
very friendly with the Chinese at the time, they adapted the Chinese
characters as the *written* Japanese language (which they call
"kanji").  Therefore, Japanese and Chinese characters are very
similar, although not really identical.  In addition to the Chinese
characters which the Japanese used, they also developed a written
"alphabet" of single-syllable sounds (which are very regular and
phonetic) based on their spoken language.  The alphabet is made up of
about 50 "letters".  There are two written forms of the Japanese
alphabet: "hiragana" are used for all native Japanese words, and
"katakana" are used for foreign words.  The Japanese *spoken* language
is basically "words" made up of letters/sounds from their alphabet.
Characters are used as written representations of words.  Again, there
are many cases where a single character can have many meanings, and
there are tens of thousands of characters.

     Japanese and Chinese characters are very similar, to the extent
that if you know one of the languages you can make a decent attempt at
determining the meaning of characters in the other language.  However,
spoken Japanese and Chinese are very different.  Also, Japanese has an
alphabet based on their spoken language, from which words are
constructed; Chinese does not have a written alphabet, and I am not
sure if their spoken language is similar to an alphabet.  In my mind,
Japanese is sort of a collision of an "alphabetic" spoken language
(such as English) with a "character-based" written language (i.e.
Chinese); others may not agree with this.

     Some of the above might be wrong (could someone who knows more
please correct the errors above?).  My credentials: I spoke Japanese
fluently as a child (I went to Japanese public schools, even though I
am an American).  I have since forgotten most of it, although I had a
couple refresher courses in college.  I do not know Chinese at all.
However, many of my friends are either Chinese (mainland or Hong
Kong), fluent in Chinese (including Hong Kong, Mandarin, and Taiwanese
dialects), or have majored in it in college.  My knowledge of Chinese
comes froms discussions with them.

>   In other words you would only need memorize 100+ symbols and learn how
>they interact. Of course I've yet to see incomprehensible icons...

     Nope; this won't work.  I believe that one could map *most* of
the Chinese/Japanese characters with a 16-bit character set (i.e.
65535 distinct characters), and certainly all of the common ones (most
Japanese do not know all of the characters, just like most native
English speakers do not know all of the English words).  However, much
more than 100 characters/symbols would be needed.

     Furthermore, whereas current icons graphically represent ideas
with fairly "understanable" pictures, Japanese/Chinese characters do
not pictorally represent their respective ideas anymore.  Even though
the Chinese characters started out as fairly identifiable pictures,
through hundreds (thousands?) of years they have been transformed into
icons that do not resemble their meanings much.  And finally, which
meanings would you choose for the characters/icons: Japanese or
Chinese?  Either way you would end up offending someone.

     I prefer icons that are not tied to *any language*.  Certainly
all icons are somehow tied to some culture(s).  I do not think using
Japanese/Chinese characters as "standard" icons would work, although
it is an interesting idea.

--
Christopher Lishka                 ...!{rutgers|ucbvax|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene                   lishka%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu
Data Processing Section  (608)262-4485                       lishka@uwslh.uucp

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind -- or not to have a mind at all.
How true that is." -- V.P. Dan Quayle, garbling the United Negro College
Fund slogan in an address to the group (from Newsweek, May 22nd, 1989)

d-yang@cs.columbia.edu (David Yang) (09/25/89)

(preface:  The following is based on what I know from experiences with my
(warning?) parents, who speak and write Chinese, and a few years of classes
	   plus informal learning.)

In article <446@uwslh.UUCP>, lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Brain-fried after too much hacking) writes:
>      No.  *Written* Chinese is composed of tens of thousands of
> "characters" (i.e. symbols).  Most of the time, these characters have

I believe Robert Brady was referring to the radicals that make up
the tens of thousands of characters.  The radicals do give hints in meaning
(like knowing the roots of words) and pronunciation and help in both memorizing
characters and telling someone how to write a character, but the translation
is still non-trivial.
  Also, though this may not be absolutely necessary, it seems that the icons
people are thinking of are hopefully something almost anyone would approximate
if asked to come up with an icon for the same thing.  But Chinese characters
still seem to be just memorized.

>      Furthermore, whereas current icons graphically represent ideas
> with fairly "understanable" pictures, Japanese/Chinese characters do
> not pictorally represent their respective ideas anymore.  Even though

This is true-- actually, I'm not that sure the original characters were
all that understandable.  The character for big (da1) was supposed to
represent a big man, which doesn't seem inherently universal.

>      I prefer icons that are not tied to *any language*.  Certainly
> all icons are somehow tied to some culture(s).  I do not think using
> Japanese/Chinese characters as "standard" icons would work, although
> it is an interesting idea.

I agree-- e.g., one might be able to pick up that a big man represents
"big," but I think this requires some knowledge of the way Chinese words
are built up to know that the character didn't mean, say, "adult."
And I think you might still have problems with the meanings of symbols
in different contexts.

David
d-yang@cs.columbia.edu