[comp.cog-eng] email's impact on interpersonal communication

darragh@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (John Darragh) (10/30/90)

Hi, my sister is doing her Masters in Communication Studies at the
University of Calgary and is currently working on a research paper
about the impact of electronic mail on interpersonal communication
in the workplace.  The main topics in her paper entail:

1.   Examining the social consequences of electronic mail on
     interpersonal communication in organizations and the "virtual" office.

2.   Evaluating the effectiveness of strategies for managing the
     deployment and use of computer-based technologies in general,
     and electronic mail specifically.

She is half way through her literature review and is now looking for more
current references.  Any citations, references, books, papers or other
information that could further her research would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Joan Darragh-Cascadden			darragh@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
14 Varal Place NW
Calgary Alberta CANADA  T3A 0A7

san@daffy.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Sanderson) (11/01/90)

I attended the Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW) conference in
1986 (I think that the right year...) and I remember at least one talk on the
effects of e-mail.  Specifically, I think it was on e-mail implemented
in the U.S. forestry dept. and how it showed information flow, redundant
managers, how it affected the management structure, etc.  I really enjoyed
the talk - it helped to inspire me to move into new areas.  Check out
the proceedings, and the '88 (I think) proceedings also.  You may be
able to get them thru ACM.

Steve Sanderson
halley!san@cs.utexas.edu

yam@cbnewsi.att.com (toshihiko.yamakami) (11/02/90)

From article <1109@halley.UUCP>, by san@daffy.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Sanderson):

> I attended the Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW) conference in
> 1986 (I think that the right year...) and I remember at least one talk on the
> effects of e-mail.  Specifically, I think it was on e-mail implemented
> in the U.S. forestry dept. and how it showed information flow, redundant
> managers, how it affected the management structure, etc.  I really enjoyed
> the talk - it helped to inspire me to move into new areas.  Check out
> the proceedings, and the '88 (I think) proceedings also.  You may be
> able to get them thru ACM.

Three e-mail related studies were accepted in ACM TOIS(Transaction
on Office Information Systems) from CSCW conferences, those days:

%A R. E. Rice
%A D. E. Shook
%T Access to, Usage of, and Outcomes for an Electronic Messaging System
%J ACM TOIS
%V 6
%N 3
%P 255-276
%D July 1988

%A J. E. Evaland
%A T. K. Bikson
%T Work Group Structures and Computer Support: A Field Experience
%O Rand Corp.
%J ACM TOIS
%V 6
%N 4
%P 354-379
%D October 1988

%A Wendy. E. Mackay
%O MIT
%T Diversity in the use of Electronic Mail
%J ACM TOIS
%V 6
%N 4
%D October 1988
%P 380-397

I copied it from my old survey list, however, it may contain
some mistyping.
From my CSCW'88 proceeding,
J.E.Evaland's original title is "Work Grup Structures
and Computer Suppoort:A Field Experiment", and W.E.Mackay's original
title was "More than Just a Communication System: Diversity in the
Use of Electronic Mail".

-- yam

--
Toshihiko YAMAKAMI(NTT, Japan) Resident visitor in Bell Labs until Feb 1991
 Room 4G634, AT&T Bell Labs, Crawfords Corner Rd. Holmdel, NJ 07733-1988

kehres@touch.touch.com (Tim Kehres) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Oct29.190457.11664@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> darragh@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (John Darragh) writes:
+
[...]

One reference is:

	Computer-Supported Cooperative Work: A Book of Readings,
	Edited by Irene Greif, copyright 1988 by Morgan Kaufmann
	Publishers, Inc., ISBN 0-934613-57-5

This book is a collection of papers in the CSCW field and many of the
papers either directly or indirectly address email issues.

Regards,

Tim Kehres
kehres@tis.llnl.gov   - or -   kehres@touch.com

briand@rfengr.com (Brian Dear) (11/04/90)

Check University Microfilms' Dissertation Abstracts service for an
interesting dissertation by Janet Asteroff (Columbia Univ.) circa 1986.
I forget the exact title of the work, but it studied the language of
electronic communication (e-mail, BBS, etc).  Very interesting stuff.

Brian L. Dear
Coconut Computing, Inc.
ucsd!coconet!brian

smp@sei.cmu.edu (Stan Przybylinski) (11/05/90)

If you are going to study this topic you can not omit the work of Sara
Kiesler and Lee Sproull, who were at Carnegie Mellon University at the
time of their study in this area.  I don't have the citations handy, but
one paper is included in the book Irene Grief edited on "Computer
Supported Cooperative Work."

Good luck.
--
*---------------------------------------*-----------------------------------*
*Stan Przybylinski (Prez-ba-lin-ski)	*These views do not represent those *

lmiller@aerospace.aero.org (Lawrence H. Miller) (11/08/90)

One of the first people to look at this subject was Jim Carlisle
(this is his Ph.D. dissertation):

%A James H. Carlisle
%T Interactive Man-Machine Communication
%I Yale University Dept. of Administrative Sciences
%R Report \#66
%D March, 1973
%K man-machine interaction

Carlisle was at the Annenberg School of Communications at USC for
several years, and then went out on his own, somewhere in the New
York city area.

Larry Miller
Aerospace Corporation
lmiller@aerospace.aero.org