[comp.cog-eng] an example of electronic communication?

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (11/04/90)

The following item, posted to sci.research, seems quite relevant to the
recent discussions on comp-cog-eng regarding electronic communication:

From ub!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!sdd.hp.com!ucsd!ucbvax!cleveland.Freenet.Edu!ad094 Sat Nov  3 21:12:48 EST 1990
Article: 1530 of sci.research
From: ad094@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Alex Lai)
Newsgroups: sci.research
Subject: Computer society
Date: 31 Oct 90 17:44:27 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

With all this talk about the impact of computers
on society, there's a community computer system
in Cleveland, Ohio called the Cleveland Free-Net.
It is a HUGE online system with over 11,000 active
users. Hence, this is an "electronic city".

You see things go on in this "electronic city" that
you would see normally in everyday life.
The Cleveland Free-Net would be an excellent topic
for someone who's doing research on how computer
systems has affected human lives. It's truly remarkable.

You can reach the Cleveland Free-Net by telnet:
129.22.8.82
129.22.8.75
129.22.8.76
129.22.8.77
129.22.8.78

Or by modem: (216) 368-3888

Membership and usage of its services are FREE. I encourage
everyone to apply for an account and become a "citizen"
of the Cleveland Free-Net.

--
Alex Lai                           ^^^^^^    (((((( In Stereo ))))))
Communication Systems Management  / O  O \        Where Available

reggie@dinsdale.paradyne.com (George W. Leach) (11/05/90)

In article <44274@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) writes:
>The following item, posted to sci.research, seems quite relevant to the
>recent discussions on comp-cog-eng regarding electronic communication:

>With all this talk about the impact of computers
>on society, there's a community computer system
>in Cleveland, Ohio called the Cleveland Free-Net.
>It is a HUGE online system with over 11,000 active
>users. Hence, this is an "electronic city".

     Nevermind the "electronic city".  Have you all forgotten about
the "network nation" :-)

     Murray Turoff and Starr Roxanne Hiltz
     The Network Nation
     Addison-Wesley, 1978

George

George W. Leach					AT&T Paradyne
reggie@paradyne.com				Mail stop LG-133
Phone: 1-813-530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
FAX: 1-813-530-8224				Largo, FL 34649-2826 USA

paola@grep.co.uk (Paola Kathuria) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov5.154721.4571@pdn.paradyne.com> reggie@dinsdale.paradyne.com
  (George W. Leach) replies to electronic communication refs request:

>     Nevermind the "electronic city".  Have you all forgotten about
>     the "network nation" :-)

Nope.  A request for refs on this subject is a frequent occurence, and
I should know since I sent one out myself a year and a half ago when George
replied with this Turoff and Hiltz reference.  Since the discussion has
been revived, I would like to make a request for any references to any
articles, papers, books, anecdotes on the recreational and personal side of
electronic communication.

Thanks,

Paola
----
Paola Kathuria   paola@grep.co.uk   Voice +44 532 500303   Fax +44 532 500292
Grep Limited   Kirkfields Business Centre   Kirk Lane   Leeds   UK   LS19 7LX