[comp.cog-eng] HCI grad.progs summary

teittinen@cc.helsinki.fi (03/19/91)

Recently I promised to personally post my summary of HCI grad programs
to anybody who wanted it. The result has been a flood of requests for
the summary, but I've tried to answer to everybody. But since the
messages don't seem to stop coming, I decided to post the summary here,
so that nobody needs to ask it from me any more. Anyway I haven't been
able to reach all the addresses, so to those of you who have been
waiting for this list from me: I'm sorry, but I couldn't get mail to
you. But here's the list for all of you (and for possible archives).

Marko
(full signature at the end of this message)

------8<------ cut here ------8<------ cut here ------8<------

Previously I asked about good HCI graduate programs. Here's my original
question:

>I need your recommendations on good graduate programs in Computer
>Science in the area of user interfaces.
>
>I am finishing up my MSc in Computer Science here in Finland and now I'm
>looking for a PhD program in Computer Science abroad. My main interests
>are user interfaces (my main interest), scientific visualization and
>cognitive science. Since Finland is on the far side of Europe it takes
>very long to contact anybody using material mail. So I'd be most
>delighted if you could give me some E-Mail addresses to contact for more
>information about the universities you recommend.
>
>Marko Teittinen

Here's a quick summary of the responses:
University			Professors
----------			----------
Univ. of Maryland		Ben Shneiderman
Univ. of Colorado, Boulder	Clayton Lewis
				Gerhard Fischer
				Peter Polson
Univ. of Pittsburgh		Robert Korfhage
				C. Michael Lewis
George Mason Univ.		Deborah Boehm-Davis (Psych.Dept.!)
Loughborough Univ. of Tech.	Helmut Bez (in UK!)

From other sources I have found out the following universities:

Carnegie Mellon Univ.		Brad A. Myers
				Allen Newell
George Washington Univ.		?
Univ. of Toronto		Bill Buxton
				Ron Baecker
Georgia Tech.			James Foley

I don't think the list above is even close to complete, so additional
recommendations are very welcome.

For more detailed information, here are the responses I got:

>From: sears@cs.UMD.EDU (Andrew Sears)

Well, I'm currently studying for my PhD at the University of Maryland.
I work in the Human-Computer Interaction Lab under Ben Shneiderman.
You may be interested in getting more information about our lab and
the University in general.  I'd be happy to answer any specific questions
you have if you want to send them to me.

If you would like to ask Ben Shneiderman any questions, since he is
the head of the lab, and the main professor working in the area, his
email address is ben@cs.umd.edu

Feel free to email any questions you have to me, and if you want the
department to send you information let me know.

Good Luck with the decision,
Andy

>From: eyu@umd5.umd.edu (Ellen Yu)

They have a good program here at the University of Maryland.  There's a
Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory (HCIL) here that is doing some
interesting research.

For more information, contact Professor Ben Shneiderman (Head of HCIL) at
internet: ben@cs.umd.edu.

-Ellen Yu

>From: Curt Stevens <stevens@sigi.Colorado.EDU>

Send email to dotty@cs.colorado.edu and she will send you info about the
graduate program in CS here at the University of Colorado at Boulder.
There is a good amount of user interface work going on here. Especially
with Professors Clayton Lewis and Gerhard Fischer.

>From: Steve Hirtle <hirtle@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

The Information Science Department here at the University of Pittsburgh
has a Ph.D. program with each of these subspecialities.  We are connected
with another program in Intelligent Systems and are across the street
from Cargnegie-Mellon.  We just started a large interdisciplinary project
on visualization with the computer science department.  Our faculty
includes Robert Korfhage (visualization; editorial board of Visual
Langauges), C. Michael Lewis (human factors; machine learning;
visualization and metaphor), Doug Metzler (AI, Cognitive Science),
Paul Munro (neural networks, cognitve science), and Stephen Hirtle
(spatial knowledge, cognitive science).

In addition, we have an exchange program with Molde College in
Norway, and Bob Korfhage and myself have spent time in Sweden --
not that Finland is like either place, but we do have some
Scandinavian connections.  This is off the top of my head, if
you would like more details, let me know.  You can request an
application from Susan Strauss (strauss@lis.pitt.edu).

--stephen h.

>From: carm@cs.UMD.EDU (Richard Chimera)

We at the University of Maryland at College Park have a very strong
HCI program, not with lots of professors, but with very solid/internationally
recognized faculty and research approaches.  The main figure is
Dr. Ben Shneiderman, Professor of Computer Science and Head of the
Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory.  I work as a faculty research
assistant for the HCIL, but have never been a grad student (got my
B.S. in CS from Carnegie Mellon).  You should send him and/or the
grad students here email asking them personally what it's like to be
a grad student here.  Later on, you can ask about scholarships, etc.

        Dr. Ben Shneiderman             ben@cs.umd.edu
                        PhD students
        Brian Johnson                   brianj@cs.umd.edu
        Rich Potter                     potter@cs.umd.edu
        Andy Sears                      sears@cs.umd.edu

Good luck,
-Rick

>From: news@linus.mitre.org (News Service)

Have you tried contacting the Human Factors Society in California?  They have
a listing of "approved" graduate programs in Human Factors (and related fields).
The current president of the HFS is Tom Sheridan, but he does not list an
e-mail address in the current HFS directory.  The preseident elect, Ken
Laughery is on e-mail at LAUGHERY@RICEVM1.  You might want to give him a try
and tell him what you are looking for.  I hope this helps.
From: bkillam@ccels3 (bill killam)

Bill Killam
Human Factors Engineer

>From: cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill)

I would urge you strongly to consider *not* getting your PhD in CS if
your primary interest is the user interface.  Few CS programs over here
are able to offer more than one or two courses in UI design.  Most PhD
level CS programs place a very heavy emphasis on the computational
aspects of computing--formal languages, symbolic logic, finite state
theory.  Many of these courses are required, and have little or nothing
to do with interface design.  George Mason University in Washington,
D.C. has a PhD in information technology that encourages a
cross-discplinary approach, and they have some good UI people involved
with the program.  You might write to them.  I have not kept up with
other programs that might be similar.  Try

  Professor Deborah Boehm-Davis
  Psychology Department
  George Mason University
  4400 University Drive
  Fairfax, VA  22030   USA

dbdavis@gmuvax.bitnet

I have a BS in computer science, an M.I.S.  (Masters in Information
Systems), and am completing a PhD in design from the College of
Architecture here.  I found both CS and human factors programs to be
inadequate for serious study of interface design, and ended up "making"
my own program of study.  The College of Architecture is very tolerant
of that; it also helped that I had an interest in architecture, but my
main research focus is interface issues.

Hope that helps,
Andy Cohill

>From: John H Connolly <J.H.Connolly@lut.ac.uk>

Hello.
I'm John Connolly, course tutor for the M.Sc. in Interactive Computing
System Design at the Department of Computer Studies, Loughborough
University of Technology, U.K.
You might like to contact my colleague Dr. Helmut Bez, who deals
with Ph.D. applications.
This Department is one of the U.K.'s leading research centres for
Human-Computer Interaction, and you may well find that you could
pursue a Ph.D. program here which would provide you with both
academic interest and contact with stimulating colleagues, as we
have quite a sizeable number of research staff and research students
active in H.C.I.
Dr. Bez's email address is:
  H.E.Bez@UK.AC.LUT
Good luck!
E-Mail: teittinen@finuh.bitnet               ! "Studying is the only way
        teittinen@cc.helsinki.fi             !  to do nothing without
Marko Teittinen, student of computer science !  anyone blaming you" -me