[comp.dcom.modems] > 9600 bps over conditioned leased lines?

kimcm@olamb.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) (11/11/86)

In article <2942@cbosgd.ATT.COM>, mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
> I haven't followed it closely, but yesterday a salesperson pointed
> at a TeleByte modem, said the cost was $3500 each, and that it did
> 19.2K over regular dialup lines.  Part of this is probably done with
> data compression, so it may not help your application.

Well, at our offices we use a DOV-Modem (Data Over Voice) which is able to
talk between our two UNIX boxes at 0-19200 Baud (Asyncronous) or (600,1200,
2400,4800,9600,19200 Baud Syncronous)

The DOV modem is a special modem, which uses a intenal telephone-net so that
the lines can be used in conversation and datatransmission at the same line.
This is done by dedicate the low frequency area to voice and the high frequency
area to datacommunication.

I don't know who distributes the modems but they're manufactured by the company
"Datentechnik" in Austria and the price (in Denmark converted to US$) is about
$400 each plus a philter to $50

					<Kim Chr. Madsen>

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/11/86)

In article <2942@cbosgd.ATT.COM>, mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
> I haven't followed it closely, but yesterday a salesperson pointed
> at a TeleByte modem, said the cost was $3500 each, and that it did
> 19.2K over regular dialup lines.  Part of this is probably done with
> data compression, so it may not help your application.

Once again, as pointed out before, some of these cheap and slick data
compressed/error corrected modems are pretty atrocious.  The Telebyte
for instance is damn near unusuable for either normal UNIX use or UUCP
as it is really half duplex and takes forever to turn the line around.

-Ron

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (11/14/86)

:
:Once again, as pointed out before, some of these cheap and slick data
:compressed/error corrected modems are pretty atrocious.  The Telebyte
:for instance is damn near unusuable for either normal UNIX use or UUCP
:as it is really half duplex and takes forever to turn the line around.

Unusable with unsuitable protocols, but not unusable!  DCA recently
tested Pro-YAM's public domain ZMODEM protocol with a pair of their
TrailBlazer modems, and obtained a throughput of about 14,000 bps (a
record, comfortably surpassing "Crosstalk-FAST").  ZMODEM, it happens,
is ideal for these modems because the receiver does not have to
acknowledge every transmitted block, only to send error packets when
necessary.  Of course, even ZMODEM will be slowed if one must send many
itty bitty short files, but this is not the usual case.

For more information, look at the ZMODEM protocol description sent over
net.sources some time ago, available in ZMODEM.ARC on Telegodzilla.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX Author of Pro-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf  Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
  Voice: 503-621-3406  17505-V Northwest Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746 2400/1200  CIS:70007,2304  Genie:CAF  Source:TCE022
  omen Any ACU 1200 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
  omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (11/15/86)

In article <129@olamb.UUCP> kimcm@olamb.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) writes:
>In article <2942@cbosgd.ATT.COM>, mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>> I haven't followed it closely, but yesterday a salesperson pointed
>> at a TeleByte modem, said the cost was $3500 each, and that it did
>> 19.2K over regular dialup lines.  Part of this is probably done with
>> data compression, so it may not help your application.
>
>Well, at our offices we use a DOV-Modem (Data Over Voice) which is able to
>talk between our two UNIX boxes at 0-19200 Baud (Asyncronous) or (600,1200,
>2400,4800,9600,19200 Baud Syncronous)

Let's talk apples and oranges here. DOV only works if you have a
metallic path. When Mark Horton says dialup lines, he's talking about
a communications path with bandwidth between (roughly) 300 to 3000 Hz.
The methods used to communicate over a few hundred feet are quite
different from the ones used to communicate across the world.

I would have to add that I don't like Telebyte style modems either.  I
would rather have a real modem, like the V.32 style.

--
 The VT220 keyboard is an <iS<o standard. That means the French can
 hate it as well as the Americans.

 <phil <ngai +1 408 749 5720
 <u<uC<p: <[ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra<]!amdcad!phil
 AR<pA<; amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com