[comp.dcom.modems] touchtone dialing always works

wa371@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Bernd Riechelmann) (12/12/86)

Whenever I order telephone service installed, the phone company asks
if I want to have Touchtone service (for an extra charge.)
I have learned to politely refuse this feature , because Touchtone always
works, whether ordered or not.
Before the breakup of the Bell System I once received a polite letter
from their San Francisco office, asking me to request Touchtone.
They had noticed that I was using it.  I ignored the letter, and
never heard from them again.
Has anyone else made this observation?
To be fair, the extra charge should apply to pulse dialing instead, because
it is much slower, tying up their dialing equipment for a longer time.
Cheers,
Bernard <Bernd>
UUCP: ...!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371, Internet: wa371%sdcc12@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

elric@csustan.UUCP (Elric of Imrryr) (12/13/86)

In article <750@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU> wa371@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Bernd Riechelmann) writes:
>Whenever I order telephone service installed, the phone company asks
>if I want to have Touchtone service (for an extra charge.)
>I have learned to politely refuse this feature , because Touchtone always
>works, whether ordered or not.
>Bernard <Bernd>
>UUCP: ...!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371, Internet: wa371%sdcc12@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

	This may be due to the way which Touch Tone (TT) is enabled or
disable by your local RBOC.
If you have a non TT line your TIP & RING lines may be '+' and '-'
respectably. When you request TT they reverse the polarity and then
your TT AT&T phones will dial. Some new phones, and most modems ignore
the line polarity. One company put out a device that replaces the mouth
piece on a standard phone, with a TT keypad.
I heard Pacfic Telesis (PT&T) used to just add TT charges to your bill,
but I doubt they will try that again, after all the flack they got for
signing people up for call waiting and other junk without asking them
first.
	I wonder if using a TT phone, on a non TT line is toll fraud?
	Brad.

--
elric	Lunatic Labs @ Csustan {lll-crg,lll-lcc}!csustan!elric
cryptography, terrorist, DES, drugs, cipher, secret, decode, AUTOVON

plocher@puff.WISC.EDU (John Plocher) (12/13/86)

Bernd Riechelmann writes:
> I have learned to politely refuse this feature , because Touchtone always
> works, whether ordered or not.

Putting aside discussions of the morality of this... :-) I must say
that it just ain't so  *everywhere*.
  I live in a smallish town in Wisconsin (pop=3000) which has a MECHANICAL
(relay) based Central Office.  I had to order TT for my line because it didn't
work "out of the box".  The Phone Company came out to the CO and installed
a DTMF => Pulse converter box between my line and their CO switch.
  The digital switches which are found in most major cities do not need this
black box addition; in fact the enabling of TT is (can be) a simple software
feature.  As you seem to have found, sometimes this feature is always
ON, but I'd think that the phone company would soon find out and fix the bug.
(visions of a set-uid file owned by root which someone inadvertantly
left writable by all... this is something sloppy which shouldn't have happened)
					  ------

--
"Don't go to Pluto, its a Mickey Mouse planet!" - Mork
------------	{harvard,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!uwhsms!plocher        (work)

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (12/13/86)

In article <750@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU> wa371@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Bernd Riechelmann) writes:
>Whenever I order telephone service installed, the phone company asks
>if I want to have Touchtone service (for an extra charge.)
>I have learned to politely refuse this feature , because Touchtone always
>works, whether ordered or not.
>Before the breakup of the Bell System I once received a polite letter
>from their San Francisco office, asking me to request Touchtone.
>They had noticed that I was using it.  I ignored the letter, and
>never heard from them again.
>Has anyone else made this observation?
>To be fair, the extra charge should apply to pulse dialing instead, because
>it is much slower, tying up their dialing equipment for a longer time.
>Cheers,
>Bernard <Bernd>
>UUCP: ...!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371, Internet: wa371%sdcc12@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

I too noticed this about 3 years ago.  I haven't tried it since, and
besides, I can afford the $.55 a month :-)

anyway, what else I noticed was that my touchtone(tm) pricess(tm) didn't
ring...

Now, for modems, this is all fine and dandy, but when you only have one
touchtone phone. . .

Sean Kamath

UUCP:            {masscomp, decvax, allegra, psu-cs, ucbcad, ucbvax,
                  purdue, hplabs, hp-pcd, sequent, uw-beaver, ihnp4,
                  cbosgd, gatech, nsc-pdc}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET:           reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET
BITNET:          reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET
ARPA:            tektronix!reed!kamath@Berkeley
	         reed!kamath@hplabs
DECNET:          RHEA::DECWRL::"decvax!tektronix!reed!kamath"

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

In article <750@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU>, wa371@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Bernd Riechelmann) writes:
> Whenever I order telephone service installed, the phone company asks
> if I want to have Touchtone service (for an extra charge.)
> I have learned to politely refuse this feature, because Touchtone always
> works, whether ordered or not.

	While your statement that Touch-tone (a trademark of AT&T, more
generically called DTMF) "always works" may be based upon your own empirical
observation, I can assure you that this is an incorrect assumption.  All
ESS central offices have the capability of selectively denying DTMF service
to any given subscriber line; it only takes a minute or so using the CO
tty.  Crossbar central offices (which are slowly, but surely being superceded
by ESS offices) can also deny DTMF service, but it requires 15 - 30 minutes
of time for a switchman to change the line-link frame vertical assignment
of the subscriber line, along with changing translator frame connections.
Coonsequently, in a crossbar office, operating telephone companies are
reluctant to actually expend the man-hours required to deny DTMF service to a
customer who refuses to pay for it (the telco would rather cajole and/or
threaten first...).

> Before the breakup of the Bell System I once received a polite letter
> from their San Francisco office, asking me to request Touchtone.
> They had noticed that I was using it.  I ignored the letter, and
> never heard from them again.
> Has anyone else made this observation?

	This is a relatively recent technique being used by BOC's to increase
revenue: (1) give everyone DTMF service, (2) see who uses it without paying,
(3) politely cajole/threaten so that the subscriber WILL pay.  My personal
opinion is that this is sort of like entrapment, because for many years ESS
offices went to great lengths to make certain that NO ONE received DTMF
access without a proper order and payment for such service.

> To be fair, the extra charge should apply to pulse dialing instead, because
> it is much slower, tying up their dialing equipment for a longer time.

	I agree with you 100%!  25 years ago when DTMF service first became
available, it was a _luxury_, and rightfully subject to additional charge.
Such additional charge is now an anachronism in the day of ESS offices.  To
put it more bluntly, such a charge is today a ripoff.  I urge people to
contact their respective state Public Utility Commissions and complain about
this charge.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|bbncca|decvax|nike|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (12/14/86)

In <750@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU> wa371@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Bernd Riechelmann) writes:
> Whenever I order telephone service installed, the phone company asks if I
> want to have Touchtone service (for an extra charge.)  I have learned to
> politely refuse this feature , because Touchtone always works, whether
> ordered or not.

	Last time I moved, we declined to pay for touch-tone and sure
enough, our touch-tone phones didn't work ("dialing" a number wouldn't
break dial tone).  Sometime later, touch-tone started to work.  This was the
(212)-643-xxxx exchange.  A few blocks away, I helped somebody move in who
also hadn't ordered touch-tone, and lo and behold, touch-tone phones worked
there.

	In my new apartment (212-636-xxxx), I similarly declined to pay for
touch-tone service and sure enough, it doesn't work.  I'm hoping that some
day it starts to work by itself, but I'm not holding my breath.  I am told
that if the previous user of a line had touch tone, the phone company
generally doesn't bother to remove that service from the line (my current
phone is on a brand-new line; new trunk from the building to the CO,
anyway).  I'm also told that if (when) they take a mechanical switch out
and replace it with ESS, every line automatically gets touchtone.  I don't
know for sure, but that's the word on the street.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"

Re: previous discussion about charges for Touch-tone service...

In article <4842@reed.UUCP>, kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:
> I too noticed this about 3 years ago.  I haven't tried it since, and
> besides, I can afford the $.55 a month :-)

	The charge for Touch-tone service from New York Telephone (a Nynex
BOC) is $ 6.81 per line per month for business lines.  This charge is not
exactly trivial!  If New York Telephone only charged $ .55 or even three
times that, I probably wouldn't say a word about this topic.  But an extra
$ 6.81 (plus tax) per month is a ripoff!

leo@sunybcs.UUCP (Leo Wilson) (12/15/86)

In article <750@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU> wa371@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Bernd Riechelmann) writes:
>Whenever I order telephone service installed, the phone company asks
>if I want to have Touchtone service (for an extra charge.)
>I have learned to politely refuse this feature , because Touchtone always
>works, whether ordered or not.
>To be fair, the extra charge should apply to pulse dialing instead, because
>it is much slower, tying up their dialing equipment for a longer time.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a good place for this article, but lemme put in
my two cents: The phone company seems to always want to charge people more
fo this tone service that saves them money! There has been some discussion
of it locally, but I think it's really a national (maybe inter-nat) problem.

When I reported to the phone company that I was installing my modem they asked
if I'd like to pay to save them money and when I gave the rep an earful he
said something about the $2.00 charge (per month, NOT one-shot!) being
imposed by the FCC. I don't know, I haven't the time to check, but it seems
to me that the FCC would "allow" this charge, not "impose". I am using
pulse dial still because I don't want to encourage people to charge more
for cheaper service no matter how much more convenient it is, and as far as
the services I'm supposedly missing out on, my phone has a convenient little
switch that switches between pulse & tone.

It sure would be nice if the phone company either gave some incentive for
switching to tone service rather than charging, or just made it freely
available. And it sure is stupid for anyone to pay extra for a service
that costs the supplier less!

--
Leo E. Wilson(leo@buffalo.csnet)	Niagara Paper Company
364 West Delavan Avenue			99 Bud-Mil Drive

normt@ihlpa.UUCP (N. R Tiedemann) (12/16/86)

> > To be fair, the extra charge should apply to pulse dialing instead, because
> > it is much slower, tying up their dialing equipment for a longer time.
>
> 	I agree with you 100%!  25 years ago when DTMF service first became
> available, it was a _luxury_, and rightfully subject to additional charge.
> Such additional charge is now an anachronism in the day of ESS offices.  To
> put it more bluntly, such a charge is today a ripoff.  I urge people to
> contact their respective state Public Utility Commissions and complain about
> this charge.
>
> <>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York

This is completely true, and there is no one who wants this change more,
than the BOC's. They have to pay to maintain the dial pulse equipment, and
then do the DTMF translation anyway for the common carriers.

POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) is what the dial pulse phone is called,
this is what everyone got, and anything else was an enhancement, thus the
regulated companies had to charge for it.

	Norm Tiedemann
	AT&T Bell Labs
	ihnp4!ihlpa!normt

chris@cooper.UUCP (Chris Lent ) (12/18/86)

In article <750@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU> wa371@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Bernd Riechelmann) writes:
 >Whenever I order telephone service installed, the phone company asks
 >if I want to have Touchtone service (for an extra charge.)
 >I have learned to politely refuse this feature , because Touchtone always
 >works, whether ordered or not.
 >To be fair, the extra charge should apply to pulse dialing instead, because
 >it is much slower, tying up their dialing equipment for a longer time.

 New York Telephone sent out a letter recently (this fall) to
 customers saying "If you use Touchtone (R) service without paying
 for it we're going to charge you, as of XX/XX/86". I wasn't about to
 ask but it doesn't seem to affect my use of telephone credit cards
 from pulse dialed phone.  That is if I dial 0 (area) local-number with pulse,
 eventually I get the "go-ahead" tone, switch to tone and dial the credit
 card number the call goes through fine. This also shows up on the
 bill as a direct-dialed credit card call (saving ~30 cents).

 Here's a bit of phone trivia that works in some places.  Dial
 958 and many times you get a generated voice telling you the number
 you are DIALING from.

 Enjoy
--
Chris Lent 	ihnp4!allegra!phri!cooper!chris

dmt@mtunb.UUCP (Dave Tutelman) (12/18/86)

My recollection of history on this is that:
   -	Almost from the first, pushbutton dialing was lower COST than
	dial pulsing.  The phone sets were little more expensive, and
	the savings in holding time of the (shared) dial pulse/tone
	receivers more than made up for it.  Thus, it was a bargain
	for the phone company.
   -	Pushbutton dialing was introduced at a higher PRICE for a
	couple of reasons. (1) There was a need to control the demand,
	or it would be ordered faster than it could be manufactured
	and installed.  (2) It made the regulators happy, as it was
	positioned as a premium service that could subsidize lower
	rates on POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service).

Given that there is no longer that need to control demand, and it is
so much more common than dial pulses that it can no longer be viewed
as "premium", the continued premium price seems a ripoff to me.  Score
another for "value-of-service" rather than "cost-of-service" pricing.
This strategy can ONLY be practiced by a monopoly, because in a free
market the low-cost, high-price service will be offered at a lower
price by someone else.

				Dave Tutelman

mlr0@bunny.UUCP (Martin Resnick) (12/19/86)

In article <1478@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> 	While your statement that Touch-tone (a trademark of AT&T, more
> generically called DTMF) "always works" [...]
> [...]

Touch-tone is no longer a trademark of AT&T.

ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) (12/19/86)

That is not the case here in State College, PA.  We have two lines into
the house.  One is touch tone, the other is not.  A WEBCOR phone set to
generate touch tones does not work on the nont touch tone line.  Maybe
PAC-TEL is just installing touch tone everywhere to make there life
easier?

--Daniel Ehrlich
UUCP:     {burdvax,cbosgd,cmcl2,pitt,ihnp4}!psuvax1!ehrlich
CSNET:    ehrlich@penn-state.csnet  USPS: The Pennsylvania State University
INTERNET: ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu         Department of Computer Science
BITNET:   ehrlich@psuvax1.bitnet          333 Whitmore Laboratory
BELL:     +1 814 863 1142                 University Park, PA   16802
Quote: "The sky is blue so we know where to stop mowing."  Judge Harold T. Stone
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect the
            opinions, or policies, of The Pennsylvania State University or the
            Department of Computer Science.

david@ukma.ms.uky.csnet (David Herron, NPR Lover) (12/20/86)

In GTE land (Lexington, KY) touchtone doesn't work on a non-touchtone
line.  I have a Prometheus Pro-modem here, when it dials a phone number
it first tries to do the first digit as touchtone, looks to see
if the carrier tone went away, and since it didn't do the dial
phone stuff.  Oh, I currently live in an older neighborhood (read
"student ghetto"), but last year when I was living in a more modern
neightborhood I was getting the same results.

I too see no reason to have to pay extra so I can have touchtone.
All it will gain me is slightly faster dialing.  (Well, there are
a few fancy features now-adays, hold, call-forwarding, etc, but
I'm not interested in them -- ESPECIALLY the one that announces
an incoming caller with that silly beep tone!)
--
David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET, david@ms.uky.csnet
(I'm also "postmaster", "news", "netnews", "uucp", "mmdf", and ...)

"What have I got in my pocketses?" -- I never heard such a stupid damn riddle!

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/21/86)

In article <5370@ukma.ms.uky.csnet>, david@ukma.ms.uky.csnet (David Herron, NPR Lover) writes:
> In GTE land (Lexington, KY) touchtone doesn't work on a non-touchtone
> line.  I have a Prometheus Pro-modem here, when it dials a phone number
> it first tries to do the first digit as touchtone, looks to see
> if the carrier tone went away, and since it didn't do the dial
> phone stuff.  Oh, I currently live in an older neighborhood (read
> "student ghetto"), but last year when I was living in a more modern
> neightborhood I was getting the same results.

GTE phone service is notorious for not even offering touch-tone service.
Down in Durham NC, if you asked for a push button phone, they would install
one of GTE push the buttons and it will pulse dial for you kludges.

-Ron

usenet@ablnc.ATT.COM (J.R. Smithson) (12/24/86)

You should also be aware of the software programmability of DTMF
access made capable by new Digital Central Offices.
Early versions of the 5ESS software relied on the data base
to allow the hardware to decode DTMF or ignore it.
When one of these central offices were first cut it seems that a
significant number of telephones in town (Port St. Lucie, Florida)
no longer were able to outdial. (The customers were using DTMF and
not paying for it.)
This prompted a hasty software change to provide 2 options for DTMF:

	1)	Ignore it on lines not paying for the service.
		(The original scheme.)

	2)	Allow it on all lines, but prepare a report of those
		lines using DTMF but  not authorized.
		It is then up to the telco to take appropriate action.
		Such as sending warning letters to encourage customers
		to sign up for DTMF before reverting back to option
		# 1.

It is up to the telco to decide which option is in force upon cutover,
but most opt for #2.

	Jim Smithson ihnp4!ablnc!jrs2 (305)660-6991
	Ex-5ESS System Integrity Flunkie for Bell Labs