[comp.dcom.modems] Pending FCC ruling threat to modem users

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) (12/17/86)

In article <1575@brl-adm.ARPA> OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa (OCONNOR DENNIS MICHAEL) writes:
>Second: the goverment does not "mandate" a "pernicous" monopoly, it
>simply allows it. You or I can go out, get right-of-way on the
>utility poles like the cable companies, and start our very own
>telephone system. ...

Sorry, but that's just not true.  Your local phone company has a monopoly
franchise to run phone wires down the street.  As a case in point, a few years
ago at Yale, we wanted to run an Ethernet cable from one building on the campus
to another, running down the street for a block.  We could not legally do it --
it fell into the phone company's franchise.  Eventually we ended up getting
a microwave link because the phone company had no reasonable service to offer.
(High speed?  You mean 56KB?  No, we mean 10MB.  Uhh...)  The cable company has
a separate franchise to run cable TV.  Some cable companies want to use their
spare capacity for switched data, but that's legally interesting at best.
Some comanies have private internal phone nets but that's legally quite
different from being a public phone company.

I suspect the real wave of the future is in things like ConnNet, which is a
packet switched network run in Connecticut by SNET, the local telephone
company.  You can gateway from ConnNet to other networks.  The same logic which
says that local voice service is a natural monopoly would suggest that local
data service is similarly a natural monopoly and services like Telenet are
more analogous to MCI or Sprint than to and end-to-end phone company.

The local monopoly on data service also addresses the issue that data calls
are more expensive than voice calls.  AT&T, for example, has a 1PSS packet
switch exchange designed to sit next to the voice exchange and to pull the
data calls off the voice circuits as close to the user as possible, to avoid
tying up voice circuits with data.  The standard rate review process is supposed
to ensure that the rates charged for such service are reasonably related to the
costs.  We'll see.
--
John R. Levine, Javelin Software Corp., Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.EDU

In article <403@pixar.UUCP>, aaa@pixar.UUCP (Tony Apodaca) writes:
> In article <3454@curly.ucla-cs.UCLA.EDU> stiber@zeus (Michael D Stiber) writes:
> >>First: MODEM calls DO NOT cost the phone company the same amount as
> >>other calls.

	For all practical intents and purposes, this statement is INCORRECT.
Read on for more details.

> >2) Modems use the same lines as voice.  The assertion that they tolerate
> >noise less well is irrelevant, since they do not get special priveleges.

	This statement is correct.

> I'm sure that this discussion is going hot and heavy in net.dcom.etc but
> I'll answer here anyway.  Flame off, Mike.  The point is true even if the
> rationale is messed up.  Modem calls DO cost the phone company more, for
> several reasons:
> 	1) They are continuous.  The dual carrier never stops.  Therefore,
> the phone company must supply bandwidth to the call continuously even if
> there is no "valid" data.  They cannot time-multiplex their signals.
> There are small breathing and thinking pauses in all voice conversation,
> and 99% of voice is half-duplex, even a teenage girl's conversations.

	If you are alluding to most telephone calls being statistically
multiplexed (for lack of a better simple term) by a process known as
TASI (Time-Assigned Speech Interpolation), you are wrong.
	TASI was first developed by Bell Labs during the 1950's to improve
the effective circuit capacity of transoceanic cables where the number of
channels was limited, and the per channel cost was very high.  TASI does
make use of the fact that an intertoll circuit is 4-wire, with separate
transmit and receive channels; during normal human conversation each
of the two channels is used only about 45% of the time.  Therefore, TASI
apparatus can almost double the effective channel capacity by assigning
a given intertoll trunk to a transmit or receive channel only when speech
energy is detected.
	HOWEVER, TASI apparatus is complex, expensive, and has some
objectional human factors (like clipping of syllables).  Operating telephone
companies have used TASI only for transoceanic circuits, and for some early
satellite circuits where TASI was cost-effective.  As far as I know, TASI
has never been used within the continental U. S. by an operating telephone
company.
	In recent years, there has been a resurgence in interest for TASI
apparatus, and a few vendors have offered TASI apparatus for use on
private line communication facilities - however, this does NOT apply to use
by operating telephone companies for the DDD switched network.
	So the point is: operating telephone companies do NOT vary the
"bandwidth" of telephone call by TASI or other means (with the exception of
transoceanic cable use).

> 	2) They are high bandwidth.  The phone line was designed with human
> voices in mind, and they are pretty low bandwidth, as everyone knows.  Also,
> everyone knows that their modems strive to get the most out of it, so they
> use it all up (if they didn't you'd buy a new one!).  However, the phone
> company "counts on" the signals being voice-like, so they can cram as many
> signals into one wire as possible, and a modem transmission screws up their
> frequency-division multiplexing.

	This is sick.  For all intents and purposes, the bandwith of any
dialed telephone call is _limited_ to being well under 4 KHz for several
reasons:

1.	Many central office subscriber loops are loaded to minimize the
	effects of capacitive loop attenuation.  The result of placing
	filter which drastically limits bandwith to less than 4 KHz.

2.	Frequency-division multiplex apparatus (like N-carrier) effectively
	limits channel bandwith to less than 4 KHz by virtue of bandpass
	filters.

3.	Time-division multiplex apparatus (like T1-carrier) effectively
	limits channel bandwith to less than 4 KHz since the T1 sample
	rate is 8 KHz.

4.	Digital central offices effectively limit channel bandwith because
	they too sample at typically 8 KHz.

	So the point is: there just ain't no way to achieve more than 4 KHz
in bandwidth on the switched DDD network (you're lucky to get 300 to 3,000
Hz).  There is no bandwith allocation scheme being used by an operating
telephone company that is somehow defeated by a modem.  Furthermore, the
bandwith required to transmit intelligible speech is the same as is used by
any dial-up modem.

> 	3) The carrier on some modems just happens to overlap a critical
> region of part of the phone company's equipment's frequency allocation.
> The circuits known as "echo suppression" use it to monitor themselves, and
> kick in higher bandwidth and better circuits if there is too much echo on the
> line.  If they didn't have it, you'd bitterly complain about the quality of
> your long-distance connections.  Voice doesn't have much of these freqs,
> but the carrier flips it out, causing it to allocate too much signal to
> your call.

	Echo supressors do NOT affect channel bandwith.  On a voice call
an echo suppressor detects speech energy (say on an E-W direction) and
inserts a large amount of attenuation (as much as 40 dB) in the opposite
direction (say, W-E in the above example).  This is why one person may
not be able to interrupt another until they stop talking on a DDD circuit
with an echo suppressor.
	Echo suppressors are used sparingly in the DDD network, and generally
only on regional intertoll trunks.  Only ONE echo suppressor can ever be in
a given DDD connection.
	Echo suppressors are intentionally designed to be disabled by a
SF tone between 2,000 Hz and 2,200 Hz which lasts for at least 400 ms; it is
a necessary requirement that echo suppresssors be disabled for any data
call.  The primary purpose of the "answer tone" furnished by a modem is to
disable any echo supressor for the duration of the call.
	Your description of echo suppressor operation is totally wrong.

> 	I don't work for the phone company ...

	Perhaps you should - then you'd learn something about telephony.
I don't enjoy being harsh on you - but your article contained some serious
misinformation than has to be corrected.  I try to consider Usenet as an
educational forum, and it always troubles me to see articles such as yours.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|bbncca|decvax|nike|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

qeds@mtuxo.UUCP (e.schulz) (12/27/86)

I was a member of the TASI-E development team at AT&T Bell Labs
from 1979 to 1982, and can confirm that as far as I know, Larry
Lippman's comments about TASI are correct.  Advances in digital
radio, fiber-optic cable, and other technologies keep driving the
cost of long-distance facilities down; this keeps TASI from proving
in domestically.  There are at least two dozen TASI-E systems in
use on undersea cable (last I heard), each with a capacity of about
240 conversations on 120 long-distance circuits.

The front-end clipping of speech bursts is barely noticeable to the
trained ear on TASI-E.  How we achieved this and tested it in field
trials is interesting, but not for comp.dcom.modems!

TASI-E does detect the echo-suppressor disable tone at the start of
a data call, and "pins up" the connection (does not do TASI) for the
duration of that call.  If overseas modem (and fax and music on
hold) traffic exceeded 5% or so, the TASI advantage would be
reduced, those routes would need to be re-engineered, and eventually
overseas phone service would cost more.  Not domestic service,
though.
--
Ed Schulz, AT&T Information Systems, Middletown, NJ
(201)957-3899 {at&t}!solar!eds

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (12/27/86)

In a previous article, Larry Lippman writes:
>       There is no bandwith allocation scheme being used by an operating
> telephone company that is somehow defeated by a modem.
 [note: mucho context deleted]

  It is my understanding that long-distance calls may be (and frequently
are) switched in mid-call between available circuits by automatic
equipment.  I am also informed that some of this equipment is designed
to disable if the channel to be switched is carrying a modem tone.
(Because the switchover can take long enough to cause older modem
designs to lose carrier lock.)  Thus, a modem call could inhibit some
of the normal adaptability and flexibility of a network.

--
Robert Bickford    {hplabs, ucbvax, lll-lcc, ptsfa, msudoc}!well!rab
terrorist cryptography DES drugs cipher secret decode NSA CIA NRO IRS

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (12/29/86)

BizComp and Hayes may have the biggest threat to modem users.
BizComp claims a patent on auto-dialing technology, controling
dialing with the data line (unlike the earlier UNIX modems, which
required a separate calling unit.)

Apparently Hayes paid about $2 million to license (or buy off, if you like)
BizComp's patent threat, and also claims its own patent on the
1 second before and after the +++ escape.

BizComp has sued Prometheus, a modem clone company.  Needless to say,
if Hayes and BizComp win, cheap competition in the
modem market would be threatened.  US Robotics has filed a
pre-emptive lawsuit alleging antitrust violations against both
companies, but if the patents are valid, it doesn't stand a chance.
--
	Joel West			     MCI Mail: 282-8879
	Western Software Technology, POB 2733, Vista, CA  92083