[comp.dcom.modems] 18kbs modem

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (12/24/86)

Racal-Milgo has announced an 18kbps modem for voice grade telephone lines.
(See Dec. 22/30 issue of PC WEEK.)  It is the RM-1822D which includes
Hayes compatible 300/1200/2400, and then a proprietary techniques that
"used 50 percent more of the available capacity of the phone line" and
has an built-in micro to monitor line quality and "automatically adapts
the transmission patterns and speed to the line condition" and can
adjust speed in increments as small as 100 bps.  In the fast mode it
only talks to another one of its type.  It uses a CRC-16 for error detect.
The modem is $2,395 in single quantity.

Has anyone used this?  Does anyone know more about this one?  It looks as
if we're pushing the Shannon limit for a voice grade line (within a factor
of two.)

--henry schaffer  n c state univ
#include <std-disclaimer.h>

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (12/29/86)

In article <2507@ecsvax.UUCP> hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) writes:
>Racal-Milgo has announced an 18kbps modem for voice grade telephone lines.
>(See Dec. 22/30 issue of PC WEEK.)  It is the RM-1822D which includes
>The modem is $2,395 in single quantity.
>
>Has anyone used this?  Does anyone know more about this one?  It looks as
>if we're pushing the Shannon limit for a voice grade line (within a factor
>of two.)

I am helping test these now. So far they look good, but I don't want
to get too enthusiastic until I see more types of data being used.

	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
ihnp4!                                  >---> crdos1!davidsen
        chinet! ---------------------/  (davidsen%crdos1.uucp@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"