[comp.dcom.modems] Acatex 1200

jte@psuvax1.UUCP (Jon Eckhardt) (01/11/87)

(I have yet to see a line-eater)

I have a question about a 300/1200bps modem for sale at $109.00
in Computer Shopper (A magazine that sells lots of cheap and
expensive hardware.)  On page 229 of In Computer Shopper (Jan '87)
they have an add for a modem called Acatex (sp) 1200. Has anyone
bought or used this modem with UNIX/UUCP? I am planing on using it
on a AT&T 3B2/300.  Thanks for any info/help you can give me.

--Jon Eckhardt

Jon Eckhardt                  | jte@psuvax1.BITNET
736 W. Hamilton Ave.          | jte@psuecl.BITNET (VMS account)
State College, PA  16801      | jte@psuvaxg.BITNET (Last resort for bitnet)
      UUCP = <allegra,ihnp4,atcgva,burdvax,purdue>!psuvax1!jte
PSU #1   Phone: 814-237-1901     Work: (leave message) 814-865-9505  PSU #1

dickow@ui3.UUCP (01/14/87)

FROM:  ui3:comp.dcom.modems / jte@psuvax1.UUCP (Jon Eckhardt)

>I have a question about a 300/1200bps modem for sale at $109.00
>in Computer Shopper (A magazine that sells lots of cheap and
>expensive hardware.)  On page 229 of In Computer Shopper (Jan '87)
>they have an add for a modem called Acatex (sp) 1200. Has anyone
>bought or used this modem with UNIX/UUCP? I am planing on using it
>on a AT&T 3B2/300.  Thanks for any info/help you can give me.

>--Jon Eckhardt
---------------------------------------

     I own one of those very same Avatex modems (not Acatex). It is just as
the ads claim...300 or 1200. Understands Hayes modem commands, auto dial,
auto answer, Pulse or tone dialing. It deserved the Computer Shopper 'Best
Buy designation'. I am using it on the net. Very dependable data transmission.
Also, had DIP switches to set it up the way you want and has a nice array
of leds on the front, plus switches to select voice/data or the modem speed.
However, the modem will sense the speed of incomming transmissions and will
adjust itself automatically. The pulse dialing seems a little sluggish, but
I have never compared speeds of this feature on different modes.
    I am using my Avatex with an Amiga. BE SURE to buy a special Amiga serial
cable, or else you may blow up your unit. (Amiga puts voltages on certain pins,
presumably to power some proprietary peripherals.

Bob Dickow (...egg-id!ui3!dickow)

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (01/15/87)

In article <2385@psuvax1.UUCP>, jte@psuvax1.UUCP (Jon Eckhardt) writes:
> I have a question about a 300/1200bps modem for sale at $109.00
> in Computer Shopper (A magazine that sells lots of cheap and
> expensive hardware.)  On page 229 of In Computer Shopper (Jan '87)
> they have an add for a modem called Acatex (sp) 1200. Has anyone
> bought or used this modem with UNIX/UUCP?

I assume you're talking about the "Avatex" 1200...

I purchased one of these just before XMAS and have been using it to
dial into one of our Convergent boxes from home. The modem has exhibited
no problems whatsoever. If the documentation is correct, the modem
handles all of the status pins correctly (partially verified by my
not jumpering CD/DTR RTS/CTS etc - it wouldn't listen to the terminal
'till I did) therefore it should work fine as a dialup modem on a Unix
host (I plan on trying it out next week).

It claims to be Hayes AT command set compatible... Well, it supports
ATDT, and thats about it! In a Unix dialout environment this may be
a blessing - ie no weirde command states to try and escape from.

It also handles noisy lines fairly well. I'm on one of the oldest
crossbar switches in the city; I have yet to lose a connection due to
line noise, etc. It also locks onto just about any carrier you can
throw at it.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it, and for the price... :-)
--
Lyndon Nerenberg - Nexus Computing Corp. - lyndon@ncc.UUCP
UUCP: {ihnp4,ubc-vision,vax135,watmath}!alberta!ncc!lyndon