[comp.dcom.modems] Problem with USR 2400?

hokey@plus5.UUCP (Hokey) (01/05/87)

We have a US Robotics Courier 2400 modem.  Every once in a while it goes into
a strange mode in which verbose responses (the OK in particular) get returned
in *lower case* and we get an extra CRLF (or at least an extra LF).

Our switch settings are:

	 1 DTR normal - controlled by pin 20
	 2 Numeric result codes
	 3 Quite mode - no result codes sent
	 4 Echo OFF
	 5 Auto Answer
	 6 CD forced ON
	 7 RJ11
	 8 Normal AT command recognition
	 9 +++ disconnects and displays NO CARRIER
	10 off

We set up the modem in this fashion to avoid problems with getty().

When dialing out, we enable result code transmission, might turn on echo, and
might turn on verbose results.  We sometimes revert to X6, too.

When in this "strange mode", ATZ does *not* reset the modem (ie, we still get
echo, result codes, and an "ok" in lower case along with double CRLFs).
Offhand, I don't recall if I can make anything else work when in this mode.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
--
Hokey

bob@ahxenix.REL.COM (Bob Leffler) (01/08/87)

In article <1678@plus5.UUCP>, hokey@plus5.UUCP (Hokey) writes:
> We have a US Robotics Courier 2400 modem.  Every once in a while it goes into
> a strange mode in which verbose responses (the OK in particular) get returned
> in *lower case* and we get an extra CRLF (or at least an extra LF).
>
> When in this "strange mode", ATZ does *not* reset the modem (ie, we still get
> echo, result codes, and an "ok" in lower case along with double CRLFs).
> Offhand, I don't recall if I can make anything else work when in this mode.

What version is the rom in your Courier?  You can check by using the ATI
command.  I'm not sure of the most recent release.  I upgraded to 243
several months ago.  USR will upgrade the rom for free if you call their
service number.

--
Bob Leffler  -  bob@ahxenix.REL.COM

  ...!ihnp4!mb2c!edsdrd!ahxenix!bob

hokey@plus5.UUCP (Hokey) (01/15/87)

Regarding the strange intermittent problem I have seen in which verbose
response codes come back in lower case, an extra CRLF appears after each
response, and ATZ does not reset the modem, I was asked the revision level
of our USR 2400.

We are at 243.
--
Hokey

In article <1695@plus5.UUCP> hokey@plus5.UUCP (Hokey) writes:
>Regarding the strange intermittent problem I have seen in which verbose
>response codes come back in lower case, an extra CRLF appears after each
>response, and ATZ does not reset the modem, I was asked the revision level
>of our USR 2400.
>
>We are at 243.
>--
>Hokey

This is pretty bizarre!  Are you sure that the unix doesn't have some
strange terminal modes set when you are accessing the modem?  What
program are you using to access it?  When you toss it an ATZ is it that
it doesn't come back with 'OK' or just that it doesn't stop doing the
funny stuff you describe?