[comp.dcom.modems] MMP protocol query ...

unni@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/04/87)

Does anyone know what MMP protocol is?  It seems to be something obscure that
the Motorola or Micom modems do.  Thanx for any info.

unni@ucla-cs.edu

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <4163@curly.ucla-cs.UCLA.EDU> unni@CS.UCLA.EDU
            (Unnikrishnan Warrier) writes:

>Does anyone know what MMP protocol is?  It seems to be something obscure that
>the Motorola or Micom modems do.  Thanx for any info.

I suspect that you mean "MNP". If not ignore the rest of this
message. MNP is an industry standard method of error detection
and correction (EDAC). It is in a number of different standard
levels. Level three, used by many modems such as the MultiTech
224e, detects errors and requests resend. Higher levels, such as
six, actually embed error correcting info, like Hamming codes,
in the data sent.

If someone has more info on this please expand on what I just
said.

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen

joel@gould9.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <1181@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (william E Davidsen) writes:
> I suspect that you mean "MNP". If not ignore the rest of this
> message. MNP is an industry standard method of error detection
> and correction (EDAC).

"Industry standard" is a bit generous; it wasn't arrived at in the same
way as other standards.

MNP is a proprietary protocol of Microcom, intended primarily for hardware
and not software.  After trying strict licensing for many years (its
primarily competitor, X.PC is in the public domain), Microcom decided
to sell Levels 1-3 for $100, but 4-6 are (or were) still $2,500 in
licensing fee.

The competition right now seems to be more MNP vs. no standard than
MNP vs. another standard, however.
--
	Joel West			     MCI Mail: 282-8879
	Western Software Technology, POB 2733, Vista, CA  92083