[comp.dcom.modems] Can I build a modem?

srinivas@ut-sally.UUCP (02/04/87)

I would like to build my own 2400 baud modem. I am looking for
an un-assembled kit or a magazine article or a book which would
help me build one.

Please reply to:
		srinivas@sally.utexas.edu

thanks in advance.

authorplaceholder@tiger.UUCP.UUCP (02/08/87)

/* Written 10:49 pm  Feb  3, 1987 by srinivas@ut-sally.UUCP in tiger.UUCP:comp.dcom.mode */
/* ---------- "Can I build a modem?" ---------- */
I would like to build my own 2400 baud modem. I am looking for
an un-assembled kit or a magazine article or a book which would
help me build one.

Please reply to:
		srinivas@sally.utexas.edu

thanks in advance.
/* End of text from tiger.UUCP:comp.dcom.mode */
I don't know about 2400 bps modems in particular, but the best known source
of homebuilt project is a set of 4 books by Steve Ciarcia.  Steve often
writes for BYTE magazine and gives complete hardware and software info
including approximate cost.

The books are called the Circuit Cellar series and should be available in regular bookstores.

pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <144100002@tiger.UUCP> rvk@tiger.UUCP writes:

>/* Written 10:49 pm  Feb  3, 1987 by srinivas@ut-sally.UUCP in tiger.UUCP:comp.dcom.mode */
>/* ---------- "Can I build a modem?" ---------- */
>I would like to build my own 2400 baud modem. I am looking for
>an un-assembled kit or a magazine article or a book which would
>help me build one.
>
>Please reply to:
>		srinivas@sally.utexas.edu
>
>thanks in advance.
>/* End of text from tiger.UUCP:comp.dcom.mode */
>I don't know about 2400 bps modems in particular, but the best known source
>of homebuilt project is a set of 4 books by Steve Ciarcia.  Steve often
>writes for BYTE magazine and gives complete hardware and software info
>including approximate cost.
>
>The books are called the Circuit Cellar series and should be available in regular bookstores.

    When srinivas@sally.utexas.edu posted this I sent a response routing the
sender to Rockwell.  They build a 2400 baud chip set (2 pieces) that contains
a full modem.  srinivas@sally.utexas.edu wrote back telling me that Rockwell
even supplies a PC art for the board.  What more could you want?

--
        Tim Pozar
UUCP    pozar@hoptoad.UUCP