[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes escape character causes security breach

gnu@hoptoad.UUCP (02/17/87)

In article <8702162244.AA21652@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, CJB8753@TAMVENUS.BITNET writes:
>                          My USRobotics Courier 2400 has a dip switch (#9)
> that controls what happens when the user performs the escape code process.
> If the dip switch is set up, the "modem disconnects and displayes NO CARRIER".
> If the dip switch is set down, the "mode returns to command state and
> displayes OK".

On my dialin/out modems, I have this switch set to disconnect for a
good reason.  A user who called in on the modem could write a program
that prints "+++" to the modem from the Unix system, takes control of
it, and then dials calls which go onto my bill.  Of course, the program
would have to manage the data transfer by itself (unless the user was
really smart and wrote something that would steal one phone line while
they hung up and called in on another line).  With the switch set to
disconnect, their process will get a HUP and writes to the line will be
ignored, I hope.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
Love your country but never trust its government.