[comp.dcom.modems] Qubie 2400 for $229

Ghenis.pasa@XEROX.COM.UUCP (02/11/87)

In the latest Computer Currents there is an ad from Qubie for a $229
2400 baud modem. They claim it is fully Hayes compatible. Sounds like a
really good deal, and for that price I am tempted to move up the
baudrate ladder...

Does anyone on the list have any experience with Qubie or know of any
INCOMPATIBILITIES it may suffer from?

zhahai@gaia.UUCP (02/16/87)

In article <870211-102600-8222@Xerox> Ghenis.pasa@XEROX.COM writes:
>In the latest Computer Currents there is an ad from Qubie for a $229
>2400 baud modem. They claim it is fully Hayes compatible. Sounds like a
>really good deal, and for that price I am tempted to move up the
>baudrate ladder...
>Does anyone on the list have any experience with Qubie or know of any
>INCOMPATIBILITIES it may suffer from?

I just got, and returned, that modem (BT 2400E, the external version).  The
price was indeed $229 (including UPS).  The modem had a good selection of
features, and worked well at 1200.  At 2400 I had a great deal of trouble,
ranging from lousy connects (*really bad*) to no response to the answer tone.
I borrowed another one from a friend and had the same results, so it was
probably not just a lemon.  On the other hand, some people report that it
works just fine for them, so it may be my phone line (I tried it from in
town and it was better).  So consider this a partial warning: it may not
perform as well on some lines as some other modems do (this is being done
with a borrowed USR 2400 on the same line, no noise at all yet).  But the
Qubie'/Basic Time did have a 30 day money back guarantee (including UPS
return charges), which makes it hard to beat for price and returnability.
Of course, I may not find out until my next credit card bill if h]they promptly
refunded the money, but they were helpful and friendly on the phone.

So - if you have a decent line (have you tried other modems on it?  How far
is it from the central office?) the Qubie' may be worth the try; if it works
for you, you can join the ranks of those who got a great bargain and lure
yet more poor-line people like me into trying it  :-).
		~z~

--
Zhahai Stewart
{hao | nbires}!gaia!zhahai

berger@clio.UUCP (02/18/87)

How can anybody reject a product, then recommend it to somebody else?  If it
didn't work on your phone line, it doesn't sound like a very good deal.  How
do I know my quiet phone line will stay that way forever?