[comp.dcom.modems] Packard-Bell SmartModem 2400

ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (02/17/87)

We have a Packard-Bell SmartModem 2400 that we would like to use to provide
2400 baud v.22bis access into psuvax1 for USENET.  The modem seems to have
a problem in that if a site calls up using 1200 baud v.22 it will corretly
detect this and switch from 2400 to 1200 baud.  Unfourtunately it does not
appear to go the other way.  If the modem is in 1200 baud v.22 mode it does
not recognize the 2400 baud v.22bis carrier.  We would like to make this
generally available but I have not been able to figure out a fix.

Has anyone else seen this problem with the SmartModem 2400?  Does anyone
know of a way to get around this problem (power cycling the modem works
but... :-) )?  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks
in advance.

--Daniel Ehrlich
UUCP:     {burdvax,cbosgd,cmcl2,pitt,ihnp4}!psuvax1!ehrlich
CSNET:    ehrlich@penn-state.csnet  USPS: The Pennsylvania State University
INTERNET: ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu         Department of Computer Science
BITNET:   ehrlich@psuvax1.bitnet          333 Whitmore Laboratory
BELL:     +1 814 863 1142                 University Park, PA   16802
Quote: "The sky is blue so we know where to stop mowing."  Judge Harold T. Stone
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect the
            opinions, or policies, of The Pennsylvania State University or the
            Department of Computer Science.

maeder@symcom.UUCP (02/20/87)

ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP writes:
> /* ---------- "Packard-Bell SmartModem 2400" ---------- */
> We have a Packard-Bell SmartModem 2400 that we would like to use to provide
> 2400 baud v.22bis access into psuvax1 for USENET.  The modem seems to have
> a problem in that if a site calls up using 1200 baud v.22 it will corretly
> detect this and switch from 2400 to 1200 baud.  Unfourtunately it does not
> appear to go the other way.  If the modem is in 1200 baud v.22 mode it does
> not recognize the 2400 baud v.22bis carrier.  We would like to make this
> generally available but I have not been able to figure out a fix.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem with the SmartModem 2400?  Does anyone
> know of a way to get around this problem (power cycling the modem works
> but... :-) )?  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks
> in advance.

I have exactly the same problem with a couple of Hayes Smartmodems 2400.
If you talk to it (over its serial line) it instantly recognizes the
baud rate, but if the last connection was at 1200 it does not switch to
2400 if you call it up. My solution is a line in /usr/lib/crontab:

5 * * * * su uucp%(stty 2400; echo AT ) > /dev/cua0

If there is no connection on the line then this puts the modem into 2400
state, otherwise uucp has no write permission and an existing connection
is not disturbed (This is on a Sun with 3.0 or 3.2).

Is there something else I could do with the modem to correct this bug?
(it's not a 'feature' as it is not documented...).

Roman E. Maeder
Dept. of Mathematics			UUCP:     ...!uiucuxc!symcom!maeder
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

It is now pitch dark. If you proceed you are likely to be eaten by a grue.